uniqs
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN

Premium Member

Cancel one service with no interuption

I have Home Phone, Fibe internet and Fibe TV. I'm about to port my number to voip.ms. Ho do I ensure that when the port is complete and my Home phone is cancelled, my internet and TV service remain active with no interruption?
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805

There should be no disruption what so ever as there will still be a dial tone delivered to your residence as a dryloop. Also with internet and iptv, the port is after your oe, so while the quick change is made, nothing will disconnect.
despe666
join:2009-06-20
Montreal, QC

despe666

In theory of course. Bell is very creative when it comes to f..ing up.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

They don't have to be creative. It's Standard Operating Procedure.

I'll give an example.

At my place of work, had Bell Business Phone and Bell DSL. No bundle or anything like that. I called Bell and asked them to price match an offer we got from Rogers. They refused. We ported the phone numbers, all 10 of them, over to Rogers.

The day of the port, the internet stops working. I call Bell. The cancellation of phone service resulted in the failure of the internet because the circuit was removed from the account and the DSL was tied to the circuit. Rogers swore this would not happen. Repair time, 1 week, $100 fee. We said no thanks. They considered that cancellation. We returned the modem, got a receipt. They lost the modem, charged us $200 for it. Even upon providing the receipt they refused to remove the equipment loss charge. I had to fax a legal notice to cease and desist to their legal department in PQ.

OP should plan on losing all service when the port occurs. If it doesn't, rejoice.

Mike
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

Rogers should never have told you your DSL wouldn't be affected.

They have no authority to speak about how another service provider will handle the situation of cancelling an underlying service.

Then again, Rogers motivation was to sell you phone service. They may have even known the Internet would go down and they'd be right there ready with cable Internet to come to the rescue.
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN

Premium Member

I ended up just forwarding my home phone to a temp DID at voip.ms. Port completed yesterday afternoon with no interruption of the internet or TV service.

So far...

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by AsherN:

I ended up just forwarding my home phone to a temp DID at voip.ms. Port completed yesterday afternoon with no interruption of the internet or TV service.

So far...

Call up Bell and make sure that they converted your line to a dry loop.