uniqs

echo7
Echo7
join:2000-10-20
Bayonne, NJ

echo7

[STB] Ethernet to COAX to get rid of cables going through whole apartment

I have a question for anyone that could help me out with a small problem
I had coax running through my whole apartment prior to renovating the place now I do not wanna run it around the doors dril holes and such, I know there are Ethernet over powerlines adapters and ethernet to coax modules would these »www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· FLOP0ABZ along with these »www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· KIKX0DER work along with ethernet over powerline? I talk to a tech at fios he said one channel consumes around 4-5 MBit/sec I am looking for a solution to avoid coax ugliness going around my place.
ps My main fios box is in bedroom
jh2010
join:2009-09-03
Brooklyn, NY

jh2010

What are you trying to do?

Do you want to extend the TV Network to another room?
The adapters you reference are for running Ethernet Networks over COAX. They are not for running TV Networks over Cat5/6.

echo7
Echo7
Bayonne, NJ

echo7

Im looking to do ethernet to coax but these adapters do vica versa and with ethernet over powerline units could it be possible ?My mistake they do coax to ethernet but is there any possible solution to my problem ?
jh2010
Brooklyn, NY

jh2010

Have you looked at the Actiontec Extender from Verizon (»teleproducts.verizon.com ··· ShowCart The device is called a Dual Band Wireless Network Extender ). I ordered one form Amazon, but cancelled the order when I saw Verizon had the same thing for $20 cheaper($75 plus taxes and delivery. $92.50 total with 2 day delivery).

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew to echo7

Premium Member

to echo7
said by echo7:

Im looking to do ethernet to coax but these adapters do vica versa and with ethernet over powerline units could it be possible ?My mistake they do coax to ethernet but is there any possible solution to my problem ?

No that's not a solution. You're going to have to run coax. The full video lineup on the coax takes a few Gbps of bandwidth, no home wireless or powerline solutions will handle it.

JoeIac
Premium Member
join:2009-03-02
MA

JoeIac to echo7

Premium Member

to echo7
Reading your post, and follow up, it sounds like you want to get coax / a working TV connection in a room with no Ethernet, or coax, but that has power. To the best of my knowledge that is not possible with a standard configuration, unless something changed with the new VMS, but I haven't been keeping up on its capabilities / specs.

The recommended solution would have been to put plenty of Ethernet, and coax in the walls when you renovated the place. Since it's a little late for that, you could look into paying an electrician to complete the runs in the walls (Since you mention renovating, i'm assuming your an owner and not a renter) or you may just have to return to drilling the holes and experiencing the coax ugliness.

Coax from the ONT doesn't transmit on demand, all the programming for all of the channels are on the wire all the time (except on-demand), so you would need prohibitively expensive equipment to convert it to an ethernet transmission and back.

To take a significant turn from using Verizon's equipment,
You could look into alternative TV setups. For instance I'm running an HDHomeRun Prime at home, and use two xboxes as 'cable boxes' my upstairs Xbox is actually connected wirelessly, and it works pretty well. I don't watch HD on that TV, so bandwidth is much less of a concern. I am going to ultimately run ethernet to that TV and consider my current wireless setup a temporary measure, but it has worked for months, and I certainly wouldn't be against trying the Ethernet over power line solution in that application as well.
jh2010
Brooklyn, NY

jh2010 to DocDrew

to DocDrew
I am still not sure what he wants. He said he already had run coax.
What exactly are you trying to do?

JoeIac
Premium Member
join:2009-03-02
MA

JoeIac

Premium Member

said by jh2010:

He said he already had run coax.

I got the impression he used to have coax along the baseboards, and when he renovated he ripped it out. Ideally, he would have moved it into the walls, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to echo7

MVM,

to echo7
If you don't mind running in an unsupported setup, you can switch to the VMS (Quantum TV) package with one or more client boxes. Put the VMS near whatever coax you have now, then buy some good ethernet to wireless bridges (not bargain basement type hardware). The Ethernet ports on the client boxes are active (for now) and as long as your wireless bridges are fast and consistent enough, it will work.

The only issue is Verizon could opt to disable the Ethernet ports at any time, leaving you without a solution.

echo7
Echo7
Bayonne, NJ

echo7

I do not want to run coax from bedroom to another two rooms i rather do it over powerlines or wirelessly for STB internet is fine in bedroom its the STBs in other rooms that require me running large amount of coax around apartment

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

1 recommendation

birdfeedr

MVM

STB requires coax. No other option. Well, that's easier than running coax.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

The normal STBs require coax, yes.

But there are other options available (VMS+Clients, TiVo+Minis, WMC+Extenders).

Maybe you meant "easier or cheaper"

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

aaronwt

Premium Member

With a properly setup wireless network you can easily send content to a TiVo Mini with a wireless bridge. It can be rock solid and from a user perspective will be identical to an Ethernet or MoCA connection. If the Wi-Fi network is setup properly.
Expand your moderator at work
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth to echo7

to echo7

Re: [STB] Ethernet to COAX to get rid of cables going through whole apartment

From what I read on Quantum thread, you could use Ethernet over power to run the IPC (not the VMS which needs coax).

echo7
Echo7
Bayonne, NJ

echo7

OK VMS is the fiber optiv module on th wall with all the lines including phone, right ?
I need a solution I do not want cable my apt is big has 3 big screen tv and oak wood n all too much to explain very luxurius i want to use either power line or moca bridge i guess could anyone drop a few solutions i ordered the part from verizon called extender wanna see if that works I have a mikrotik router that runs has fiber in that i could work with coz it can go under wood no problems solutions please, from cloning MAC to anything less i preffer not too much RF since my router is set to 34db which melts candy bars in the pockets so no need for wireless and cable but hidden solutions and no COAX because its think n ungly

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

For all the cost of new equipment you are going to buy, why not do it right? Hire a good AV company to run the coax in a hidden way. All these other options, while they will work, are going to add layers of complexity. The other question --- Why didn't you , or your contractor, think ahead and run all the cables while the walls were still open?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to echo7

MVM

to echo7
said by echo7:

VMS is the fiber optiv module on th wall with all the lines including phone, right ?

No. You're thinking of the Optical Network Terminal (ONT) which is where VZ's fiber terminates and provides connections for coax, cat5 WAN (if enabled) a,d phone.

VMS is the Video Media Server, which is the new DVR with 6 tuners.

There is really no good solution for running QAM (TV signals) over anything but coax. In the future, the VMS will allow wireless connection between the VMS and the IPCs (client boxes), but that is not yet available.

It's already been suggested that you can run cat5 between the VMS and the IPCs. I don't believe this is officially supported by VZ yet, but it has been reported to work. This means that you
can run powerline extenders between the VMS and the IPCs.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

DocDrew to echo7

Premium Member

to echo7
MOCA uses coax for transport.

Verizon's VMS boxes can use MOCA and ethernet, but Verizon doesn't really support ethernet-only into their client boxes and may disable it anytime. They want you to use MOCA over coax to the boxes.

If you don't want coax, you'll need a 3rd party solution that is supported in a ethernet only environment like TiVo+Minis or WMC+Extenders.
fios joe
join:2007-10-14
Toms River, NJ

fios joe to echo7

to echo7
We were told in Vms class that you can only have 2 clients max that will work Ethernet off the Rev I Actiontech Router.

echo7
Echo7
Bayonne, NJ

echo7

is it possible to split the fiber and run another actiontec modem in other room?
gadgetboyj
Premium Member
join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY

1 edit

gadgetboyj

Premium Member

The fiber does not connect to the Actiontec, which is a router, not a modem. The fiber connects to the ONT (Optical Network Terminal), which connects to the Actiontec using an Ethernet or coaxial cable. It is however possible to run a second Actiontec in another room by following this guide on the FAQ:
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?
JimWalker
join:2004-04-15
Fairfax, VA

JimWalker to echo7

to echo7
said by echo7:

is it possible to split the fiber and run another actiontec modem in other room?

Last year there were announcement by Verizon about Magic Wire. Haven't heard anything since, but someday we may get what you want.

»newscenter.verizon.com/c ··· ks-good/

alchav
join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

alchav to echo7

to echo7
said by echo7:

I do not want to run coax from bedroom to another two rooms i rather do it over powerlines or wirelessly for STB internet is fine in bedroom its the STBs in other rooms that require me running large amount of coax around apartment

People hate all those Wires, like the commercial says but Verizon uses Coax to set up their STB. Running the Coax in the walls would be the best solution. I think you are just asking for trouble to try any other way.
bushleaguer
join:2007-01-22
Gillette, NJ

bushleaguer to echo7

to echo7
I had a tech come out to my house yesterday for an ongoing problem and he mentioned in passing that the boxes could be run through the router via ethernet and thus no coax is required (of course there are only so many ethernet ports so coax would come into play for some boxes). Does anyone know if this is true? It could be something I could try but wouldn't want to order the ethernet cable on false info.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Ethernet is currently active on the client boxes in the VMS setup. The VMS itself still needs to be on Coax/MoCA.

The normal STBs and DVRs cannot be run through Ethernet.
bushleaguer
Gillette, NJ

bushleaguer

said by Thinkdiff:

Ethernet is currently active on the client boxes in the VMS setup. The VMS itself still needs to be on Coax/MoCA.

The normal STBs and DVRs cannot be run through Ethernet.

Thanks....was actually just going to update my post and confirm that the client via ethernet works.
This is probably a more difficult question but since I have a client connected to the router do I still need a coax line connected to the router to get updates and the guide?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

The VMS still communicates over MoCA, so yes, you'd still need the coax connection to the router.
bushleaguer
Gillette, NJ

bushleaguer

OK thanks.

Well, at least I can cut my split down to two instead of three on one run.

Will having the client connected to the router eat into my bandwidth?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by bushleaguer:

Will having the client connected to the router eat into my bandwidth?

Nope. The client box only communicates with the VMS (in normal operation). Would have no effect on internet bandwidth.