Search similar:

uniqs

clevere1
Premium Member
join:2002-01-06
Vancouver, WA

clevere1

Premium Member

[Plumbing] Remove object from toilet without removing it from the floor?

Seems this is my week for the odd. Seems my 2 year old may have but a non-flushable object in the toilet and flushed it.... ahhh ......

I've tried the plunger and a toilet auger. The auger will allow flushing until the next business is done, then it clogs... use auger, then it's fine for a bit. So obviously there is something obstructing the toilet. All other toilets in the house work just fine so it's not a drain line problem.

So ..... Any ideas for removing the unflushable object without removing the toilet? The auger did pull qty 1 lego piece out, but I have a feeling that isn't all of it lol.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

[Plumbing] Re: Remove object from toilet without removing it from the floor?

Flush it until you get clear water then use your hand and try to feel it. The object is probably hung in the goose neck of the toilet.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to clevere1

to clevere1
Considering things get stuck over time and plunging doesn't do anything, it's probably a heavy object in the P-trap.

I would say try to dump a huge bucket of water in the toilet (after you've made sure it flushes freely) to try and literally flush out the object out of the P-trap, but I'm afraid that might just move the problem deeper into your drain pipes.
said by Jack_in_VA:

Flush it until you get clear water then use your hand and try to feel it. The object is probably hung in the goose neck of the toilet.

Wouldn't the auger catch that?

clevere1
Premium Member
Vancouver, WA

clevere1

Premium Member

I wish the auger would catch it. I'm using a small auger meant for toilets.

»www.homedepot.com/p/Bras ··· 00621924

It seems to go in freely for the most part and only gets hung up partially... I tried sticking my big, fat and in the hole and nutin ....

I should probably just remove the toilet and run the auger from the back side...

The problem is this is a pretty new toilet (6 months old or so), and its one of those funky kohler toilets with the odd ball tank to base fitting (you have to tighten 3 bolts on the tank just right or it leaks like hell)... and I'm afraid if I remove the tank I will need new seals. And I'm afraid of removing the toilet without removing the tank because of that funky mount.... well that and I've already broken one toilet this year

what the
join:2014-06-28
usa

what the to clevere1

to clevere1
If you do remove the toilet (easy to do and replace) make sure you have a new wax seal ready for when you replace the toilet!

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg to clevere1

MVM

to clevere1
my nephew flushed my daughter's cup down the toilet a few years back because he was mad she got it in the birthday pack and not him. I tried the same route of an auger, plunger, hand, etc... finally I pulled the toilet and it was just the right size to not come out the bottom of the gooseneck. the auger had poked a hole thru the bottom, but not a very big one. So it would drain slowly if just water but not at all if any solids were flushed. I ended up pushing it back thru with the auger from the bottom, just be sure to get all the water you can out before laying the toilet over if you have to do this!
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to alkizmo

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

but I'm afraid that might just move the problem deeper into your drain pipes.

I am a pessimist and would also be afraid of this possibility, depending on what the item is.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium Member
join:2000-05-14
Hedgesville, WV

DataDoc to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
Use a wet-dry vac to get the water out when you pull it.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
Before pulling it I'd take some #10 or #12 wire, bend a hook on the end, and try to "hook" whatever it is and pull it out. A coat hanger might also work, or it might be too stiff. The outlet of the toilet gets very narrow right before it dumps into the house drain and it's probably stuck right there.

/M

PSWired
join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

PSWired to DataDoc

to DataDoc
said by DataDoc:

Use a wet-dry vac to get the water out when you pull it.

Use the wet dry vac to get the object out! Better open the windows and hold your nose, though.

Hawk
Premium Member
join:2003-08-25

Hawk to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
Find an auger with this type of head. If you can hook or stab the object, it should pull right out.

edit: don't just jam it in, go slow and try to capture the object.

clevere1
Premium Member
Vancouver, WA

clevere1

Premium Member

Thanks. I have that "type", kind of. I'll try hooking it tonight.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to clevere1

to clevere1
said by clevere1:

So ..... Any ideas for removing the unflushable object without removing the toilet?

Call a plumber.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
said by clevere1:

I wish the auger would catch it. I'm using a small auger meant for toilets.

»www.homedepot.com/p/Bras ··· 00621924

It seems to go in freely for the most part and only gets hung up partially... I tried sticking my big, fat and in the hole and nutin ....

I should probably just remove the toilet and run the auger from the back side...

The problem is this is a pretty new toilet (6 months old or so), and its one of those funky kohler toilets with the odd ball tank to base fitting (you have to tighten 3 bolts on the tank just right or it leaks like hell)... and I'm afraid if I remove the tank I will need new seals. And I'm afraid of removing the toilet without removing the tank because of that funky mount.... well that and I've already broken one toilet this year

if you have this exact type of auger, use 2 pair of pliers to open up (unwind) the end of the spring to make the hook larger. then only turn the auger so the spring end turns into the clog, stabbing/hooking it. When you feel resistance, yank back on the snake to pull it out.

-j
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t to what the

to what the
said by what the:

If you do remove the toilet (easy to do and replace) make sure you have a new wax seal ready for when you replace the toilet!

wax seals are old tech. the reusable urethane seals are much better..

camtrap
@50.138.50.x

camtrap to clevere1

Anon

to clevere1

Re: [Plumbing] Remove object from toilet without removing it from the floor?

perhaps you can rent or borrow one of the sewer cameras, with the camera on a long cable or short flexible stalk, and get one of the cheap flexible grabbers, to latch onto whatever the camera shows you.

what the
join:2014-06-28
usa

what the to iknow_t

to iknow_t

Re: [Plumbing] Re: Remove object from toilet without removing it from the floor?

I have little faith in the NEW JUNK they put on the market nowadays.

clevere1
Premium Member
Vancouver, WA

clevere1

Premium Member

I prefer wax .. it's been around awhile and I know it works.

No camera....

Toilet surgery will start this weekend.... I tried making the hook larger on the auger, no changes. I REALLY hope its not stuck in the main drain line.. what would be crappy. Pun intended.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

1 recommendation

alkizmo to iknow_t

to iknow_t

Re: [Plumbing] Re: Remove object from toilet without removing it from the floor?

said by iknow_t:

wax seals are old tech. the reusable urethane seals are much better..

Those don't form-mold to seal every little tiny micro-fissure.
Wax seals are cheap and how many times will you need to re-access that area aside from a seal failure?

camtrap
@50.138.50.x

camtrap to clevere1

Anon

to clevere1

you can get the wax ring with extra height, or you can just use TWO of the regular ones. good idea to have two on hand ahead anyway, in case one breaks or is not enough. you can return the extra one if not needed.
jam1324
join:2010-11-05

jam1324 to clevere1

to clevere1
Before you pull I take a spounge and soak out all of the water and wring it out in the sink. Then take a giant pot of boiling water and carefully pour it down te toilet. The hot water might soften the object enough that it well bend and flush down if it's similar to a playdoh can lid or something along those lines.

dosdoxies
Premium Member
join:2004-12-15
Wallingford, PA

dosdoxies

Premium Member

said by jam1324:

Before you pull I take a spounge and soak out all of the water and wring it out in the sink. Then take a giant pot of boiling water and carefully pour it down te toilet. The hot water might soften the object enough that it well bend and flush down if it's similar to a playdoh can lid or something along those lines.

And the boiling water might just be hot enough to melt the wax ring. Let me know how that works out for you.
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr

Premium Member

... or even worse, crack the bowl ...
joewho
Premium Member
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

joewho to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
On the edge of my seat, waiting to see how the story ended..........

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by joewho:

On the edge of my seat, waiting to see how the story ended..........

After all the posts, guesses and recommended fixes I think a lot of us are interested in the resolution.

clevere1
Premium Member
Vancouver, WA

1 recommendation

clevere1

Premium Member

So, surgery started around 11pm after the wife and kids went to bed.

1. Turned off the water to the toilet.
2. Flushed toilet.
3. Fulled bowl with a gallon of water.
4. Used wet/dry vac to suck the water from the bowl. Pushed the hose for the shop vac in as far as I could, just to get the water and maybe dislodge the offended.
4. Removed toilet tank.
5. Removed toilet bowl from floor. Good fun that was... it was SEALED for sure.
6. Removed wax from flange... forgot to fill in the hole.. smelled sewer for a bit, ugh my head.
7. Checked the flange bolts, just good measure.
8. Plugged that stinky ass, hole.

12:00am

9. Took toilet bowl outside.
10. Flushed water through the bowl holes for about an hour... Just to see if I could dislodge anything stuck in there.
11. Removed wax from toilet box.
12. Cleaned up toilet seat, seems kids aren't doing their chores...

12:45am

13. Cleaned more wax from the toilet bowl...

1:00am.

14. Flipped bowl over, filled it full of water 5 or 6 times and then moved it around for the water to "flush". Seems to work well.
15. Going to put some clean tp in the bowl this time and fill it up with water to see if it appears to flush ok.
16. Grabbed some toilet paper and got a drink.

1:15am

17. Couldn't find the toilet paper I just got ... Oh look, the cat has it and it's all over the floor.

1:25

18. Cleaned up the toilet paper cat mess ... and filled the bowl full of water. Put some TP in it, Tilted the bowl so it would flush. Works great!

By this time I am wondering if there is a plug in the main line....

1:30am

19. Used "Auger" in the main drain line.. Damn that stinks.
20. Removed auger, figures, it flinged stuff on the floor ... sigh
21. Cleaned up "Mess".

1:50am

22. Poured a gallon of water down the main drain, seems to go down just fine.
23. That hole really stinks.

1:55am

24. Cleaned more wax off the toilet bowl, where the hell is it all coming from? Same spot (drain) on the toilet. I guess I better get a light so I can see it all.

2:05am

25. All wax FINALLY off the damned toilet. Put on new wax ring.
26. Brought toilet into the house, shit forgot the new bolts.
27. Installed new bolts.
28. Aligned new wax ring with drain.
29. Set toilet.
30. Bolted her down.
31. Connected toilet tank.
32. turned the water back on.

2:30am

33. No leaks, woot. Flushed toilet a few times, still no leaks.
34. Sacrificed more "kitty mess" TP, flushes great.

2:45am - Took a shower, damn that hole stinks

After many a flushes and a couple of... well you knows, so far, so good and no water leaks that I can see. I'm going to give it a few days, last time I installed the toilet tank it took a couple of days to find the REALLY slow ass water leaks.

Hawk
Premium Member
join:2003-08-25

Hawk

Premium Member

Did you remember to wash your hands between 15 - 16?

clevere1
Premium Member
Vancouver, WA

1 recommendation

clevere1

Premium Member

said by Hawk:

Did you remember to wash your hands between 15 - 16?

I did! I did!

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx to clevere1

Premium Member

to clevere1
What was it?

A plumber came three times after he installed a new toilet. After renters left it would not flush properly. The third time he came he removed the toilet and found a toy truck and an ink pen.

clevere1
Premium Member
Vancouver, WA

clevere1

Premium Member

said by linicx:

What was it?

A plumber came three times after he installed a new toilet. After renters left it would not flush properly. The third time he came he removed the toilet and found a toy truck and an ink pen.

I'm not sure to be honest. I did find a little lego man in the shop vac when cleaning it out.... Not sure that would stop up the toilet though.