FS613
Premium Member
join:2002-11-18
Brooklyn, NY

FS613

Premium Member

Facebook Chat

On the Facebook Chat Sidebar on the right of the screen,

to the right of the person's name, is shown sometimes a number like 4h or 2m.

Does does that number mean, for example, 4 hours ago, or 2 minutes ago?

How many hours / minutes ago, for what?

The last time someone was logged into Facebook?

Or the last time someone participated in Facebook Chat?

Thank you.

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

I always took it as the last time they connected to facebook chat. So chat clients for like cell phones might only connect when you open the app, while other people may have the app set to autoconnect or a open browser window, so will have long connect times. Sometimes I have found the whole thing to be buggy though.
Ole Juul
join:2013-04-27
Princeton, BC

Ole Juul to FS613

to FS613
Just out of curiosity, is this an app that you are running? I don't see a sidebar and you didn't mention how it was generated.

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

This?

»www.facebook.com/sitetou ··· chat.php
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to Ole Juul

Premium Member

to Ole Juul
This. It's on the right side of virtually all Facebook pages. And yeah, I think the time mentioned indicates the last time they were active, or how long they have been idle for (I've messaged people that have a time by their name such as Meghan in my list and they come "online" and respond).

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

No offense, but you just posted your friends first and last names on a public forum. Hope no spam bots are watching.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

said by Hard Harry7:

No offense, but you just posted your friends first and last names on a public forum. Hope no spam bots are watching.

I wonder what the Facebook psychologist think about that.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to Hard Harry7

Premium Member

to Hard Harry7
Ehh, it's a picture not text so it can't be simply captured, though it could still be. Beyond that, given how colossally difficult it is for people to find me when I give them many more details than my first and last name, I think they're safe lol.

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7 to bbear2

to bbear2
said by bbear2:

I wonder what the Facebook psychologist think about that.

You sometimes have to act crazy to keep from going insane. I already know Im crazy, Gaviidae Gavia has nothing on me!

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut to FS613

to FS613
I use the addon Social Fixer to Fix and modify Facebook's annoyances, I do not see what you are talking about. Or it is being suppressed by Ghostery, Adblock Plus or other addons.

Maybe you can find something in these tips.

»truthcdm.com/21-facebook ··· -folder/
FS613
Premium Member
join:2002-11-18
Brooklyn, NY

FS613

Premium Member

I am running Facebook in a Windows laptop PC window,
not on a mobile device app.

In this format, it shows a Facebook Chat Sidebar on the right side of the screen,
with Friends' names listed in the sidebar.

I don't have any problem.

I'm merely asking if anyone knows what it means
when there's a number followed by "h" or "m" to the right of the person's name.

It seems that some of you have answered the question.

Thank you.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3 to hortnut

Premium Member

to hortnut
I've never seen the sidebar, either, but there is a small link in the lower right hand corner that says "Chat" and a number.

I'm assuming that clicking that would bring up the sidebar. Since I'm not interested, I won't click.

I use Ghostery and NoScript. Adblock plus is running, but I don't think I've updated it in years. Don't see any ads. I don't stay on FB long enough to care about socializing so don't use the Social Fixer.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut

said by carpetshark3:

I use Ghostery and NoScript. Adblock plus is running, but I don't think I've updated it in years. Don't see any ads. I don't stay on FB long enough to care about socializing so don't use the Social Fixer.

90% of my friends are from High School days and since we are having Reunions,
Summer Gala Events and mini-Reunions and I do the Blog, Facebook Group Page, e-mail and promotion/marketing, I am on it often. Think of a lot of back and forth kibitzing, except more mature. Otherwise I would not be there as often.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

That's exactly why I don't use it. I simply don't want to be found. Most relatives either died or left my home town, therefore, home town is dead as far as I'm concerned. I hated the damn school.

enon
@50.153.112.x

enon

Anon

Agreed, I don't get the whole high school reunion thing. If I've fallen out of communication with someone, there's probably a good reason for it. These things seem to attract three type of people: those stuck in the past/reliving their "glory" years; those who think they've done better then their classmates and hope to rub it in; the weirdos hoping for one last shot at their high school crush.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by enon :

Agreed, I don't get the whole high school reunion thing. If I've fallen out of communication with someone, there's probably a good reason for it. These things seem to attract three type of people: those stuck in the past/reliving their "glory" years; those who think they've done better then their classmates and hope to rub it in; the weirdos hoping for one last shot at their high school crush.

There is an additional 4th reason. The person is such a loser, drug addict, wino etc they don't want anyone who knows them to discover it.