All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
CableUser14
join:2014-07-01
Westland, MI

CableUser14

Does Wow support four to six tuner TiVos with a single cablecards?

I'm considering a switch to Wow and I just got off the phone with Wow customer support who spoke with two different techs and told me that Wow does not support cablecard boxes that use a single cablecard for more than two tuners. The second tech they spoke to said this was because they support the proprietary UltraTV.

That seems crazy to me and I can find no evidence online that a cablecard can even support only two tuners at a time. It sounds you either get a single-stream card for one tuner or a multistream which allows for up to six.

So is it true that I couldn't use the four tuners of a TiVo Premiere or the six tuners of TiVo Roamio with a single cablecard from Wow?
adam1991
join:2012-06-16
united state

1 recommendation

adam1991

They don't know what you have on the other end of the cableCARD. They just provision it.

Don't sweat it.

i've been using a 4 tuner Ceton card for 3+ years now. No problem. I even had a tech in troublshooting the cabling in the house, and he didn't have a bit of a problem with the PC under my TV. He thought it was kind of cool.

There are single stream cableCARDs, and there are multistream. All multistream to my knowledge, at least now, support up to 6 streams at once. And as far as I know, nobody uses single stream cards at all.

In short, WOW won't support you in your Tivo use, because they don't support Tivo. Tivo will tell you the information you need to give to WOW to provision the card (it's linked to the tuner it's plugged into), and WOW will use that information to provision that card for your service in their system. What's going on past that, WOW doesn't know or care.

Of course they want to sell you Ultra. So?

Head to thegreenbutton.tv for Windows Media Center talk and advice.
iceblue
join:2014-02-11
Lawrence, KS

1 recommendation

iceblue to CableUser14

to CableUser14
I'm in Lawrence, Ks on WOW, successfully using a TiVo Roamio Plus with 6 tuners. I think they are using Motorola equipment at the headend here. I don't think they offer UltraTV here, but I could be mistaken. that should not affect your situation, as long as they provide you a multi-stream cablecard. There is a bunch of info and smart people over at the tivocommunity.com forums. WOW support techs were never able to fully pair my cablecard, but all channels work with all 6 tuners. I also have a Mini in the bedroom connected with MoCa and it has never had a hiccup.

va176thunder
join:2001-09-14
Columbus, OH

1 recommendation

va176thunder to CableUser14

to CableUser14
I have used a 2 tuner Premiere, and now a six tuner Roomio with a single Multi-stream card. When you go to pick up your card, make sure to ask for a multi-stream card.

Adam
Couch Potato
What?
Premium Member
join:2004-08-29
Statesville, NC

Couch Potato to CableUser14

Premium Member

to CableUser14
I used to live in Evansville, IN and I had WOW with a Ceton 4 tuner card in my pc and it only had 1 M-Card in it and worked just fine. Just make sure you get an M-Card and not an S-Card (M=Multpile tuners, S=Single tuner).
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152 to CableUser14

to CableUser14
I've used a M-Card in a Media Center PC in Columbus with no issues, and that was 4 tuners.

You should not have a problem with the six tuner, although just remember if something goes wrong with the TiVo portion, you just have to call TiVo about it and not WoW, as they're only responsible for provisioning the Cable Card.