how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rgs_rx

join:2002-06-14
Phoenix, AZ

[AZ] Speed Increase July Rollout Date for Preferred/Premier

When Cox announced in May that they were to begin rolling out Gigabit by the end of 2014, they also announced that the DL speeds for Preferred & Premier would be doubled in July, 2014 to 50Mbs & 100Mbs respectively. Does anyone know what the target date in July is for this increase? You would think Cox would be hyping it up all over the place but ever since that May announcement, silence. I spoke with a representative on chat the other day and he said July 1st. Well, clearly that was wrong.

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

i know some people that work for cox here in the valley and they are telling me its in august

Needleinthha

join:2009-11-30

Have they told you what will happen with ultimate speeds? Will they go up or stay at 150 down? Wonder if it will go up to 200 or something...?

m8trix

Phoenix, AZ
reply to rgs_rx

from what i have been told at this time its just preferred and premier and no word on changes on caps

rgs_rx

Phoenix, AZ
reply to Needleinthha

The rep who told me July 1st said that the Ultimate tier will become Gigabit but did not specify anything about price. He was incorrect about the Preferred/Premier roll out so take that information for what it's worth.

m8trix

Phoenix, AZ

price increase typically happen around January or February if there is one

otacon

join:2002-06-12
Phoenix, AZ
reply to rgs_rx

Was actually thinking about upping my plan to 50/10 BUT no need to do that now. With Google fiber coming to Phoenix doesn't surprise me Cox is doing this. Hoping they give us the extra 50gb in cap too.

rgs_rx

Phoenix, AZ

That's right, Preferred will become Premier in speed, both DL and UL. Nothing has been mentioned of changing the data caps so your speeds may double but your cap may stay at 300G.

rgs_rx

Phoenix, AZ
reply to m8trix

That sounds more like it. Someone else on another thread, I think the Gigabit thread, mentioned they thought the date was July 25th but was not sure.

Hard Harry

join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

I highly doubt they would increase the speed of ultimate from 150 to 1000Mbps. The modems aren't even released to the public yet and/or compatible with Cox for it to be technically possible. IMO they are increasing Pref and Prem because thats where the competition is for most. I don't think Cox is going to try to compete against Google. They are just not up to speed yet...literally.

AZEaglesFan

@71.223.143.x

I just was talking to a chat rep (sales) and they didn't know anything about a speed increase. Of course that really doesn't mean anything but just figured I'd let you know.

AZEaglesFan

@71.223.143.x

Ok so I talked to a rep on the phone. He stated that the 50mb will be automatically upgraded to 100mb and the 150 will be upgraded to 250 and that a 1gb will be available in 2 weeks (Jul 15th). He didn't know pricing on the 1gb. He said that they told him it would be the same modem as the others but wasn't sure how that would work. He also didn't know if the caps would be adjusted but thought it was a good possibility.

m8trix

Phoenix, AZ

1 gig is not gonna happen till end of 2015 early 2016 and as mentioned current modems cant handle it , who ever you spoke with is clueless, most of the time its best to speak with someone in tech support about speed increases

rgs_rx

Phoenix, AZ

Read this page:

»alturl.com/adkar

If read quickly it can be misinterpreted.

The main points:
-"In the Phoenix area, some will have it as soon as this fall."

-"The company will begin providing gigabit speeds to its OTHER MARKETS across the country by the end of 2016"

It will start this fall in Phoenix but gradually. I'm more interested in the July increase. I'll wait for Google (if they come) because the coax lines in my house are lousy, too many splits. I can't get all HD channels without a rewire. If Google comes, they'll rewire the entire house for $400

Hard Harry

Narragansett, RI

Keep a eye open for 1-2h total outages and changing of your CMTS MAC in your logs. If you see that change, it means the upgrade is coming soon IMO.

rgs_rx

Phoenix, AZ

Really? A 2 hour outage to raise your speed cap? About a month ago I called to change my account that I connect to work with to a higher speed tier. The agent took a few minutes and said that I may need to restart my modem. I didn't even need to do that. I just ran a speedtest.com while he was still on the line and it was done. Isn't this essentially the same thing except for many accounts?

m8trix

Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

changing you tier for higher speed and changing node capacity to provide higher speeds are 2 different things. so as for the preferred and premier upgrade that should be as quick as a reboot, as for the 1 gig service it could be an outage for a couple of hours

Hard Harry

Narragansett, RI
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

I think the Preferred and Premier upgrade will come when they upgrade the network for the ability for 1Gbs (Or 968?). Then they can start testing the new modems and firmware. I saw this in my area before the release of Ultimate. The network was upgraded for 8 downstream channels, which allowed them to bump Premier up. Just a guess though. But Maybe something happening in ARK as we speak?

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

2 recommendations

reply to m8trix

caps aren't going anywhere. LEGACY VIDEO revenues still need protection no matter how fast speeds are.
--
Despises any post with strings.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to m8trix

6weeks after speed boost comes rate hike.
--

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ

1 recommendation

reply to otacon

unless you live in a affluent new build area, don't hold your breath waiting for google.
--

JBT

join:2002-12-06
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to dvd536

said by dvd536:

6weeks after speed boost comes rate hike.

LOL they always up the price a few bucks after they increase speeds.

With that said I'm glad this is coming, I'm moving back to AZ, from New England where I currently have Comcast's 100 mbps /15 mbps Blast Tier. I'm glad I won't be with out a 100 mbps option very long.

OpTiC

join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA
reply to dvd536

Caps needs to end because data is a unlimited resource and they are doing it because they are rich and the consumer is poor.

Maltz

join:2011-01-08
Fayetteville, AR

1 recommendation

said by OpTiC :

Caps needs to end because data is a unlimited resource and they are doing it because they are rich and the consumer is poor.

Sigh. That makes no sense, but I suppose it is the popular woe-is-me complaint for so many things these days.

No, the caps are there (imo) so that those "poor" consumers who are paying $80+/mo for TV don't jump ship and go to streaming solutions instead. The caps make streaming seem less viable because if you streamed all your household's video, you'd likely go over the cap.

As for rate hikes after speed boosts... Last year, Cox increased my speed by 43%, my cap by 20%, and there was something like a 3-4% rate hike, about half of which was just inflation alone. Is that really so unreasonable?

Azlen

join:2010-05-03
Peoria, AZ
reply to dvd536

said by dvd536:

unless you live in a affluent new build area, don't hold your breath waiting for google.

I'm moving into a new gated community at the end of the month with a new Cox build. I'm not holding my breath either.

signcarver

join:2005-03-20
Phoenix, AZ
reply to rgs_rx

FWIW: The date(s) I read back in May about the speed increases was 6/25 SDV changes of 30 channels, 7/25 speed increases. It would not surprise me if they got pushed back to August (or at least not mentioned/confirmed the increases until then).

Dsm1995

join:2010-04-14
San Diego, CA
reply to rgs_rx

Im on perfered 25/5 with a docis 2 modem, have no issues at all with speeed...
so lets say this is tru and the tiers do get bumped to what you are saying... does that mean i will be forced to get a new modem for perfered tier ? if so that sucks. im quite happy with 25/5 tier.. and if I understood correct the 25/5 tier will go away if rumor is correct

Hard Harry

Narragansett, RI
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by Dsm1995:

does that mean i will be forced to get a new modem for perfered tier ?

If you want higher then 24-26Mbps then you will need a DOCSIS 3.0 modem.

m8trix

Phoenix, AZ
reply to Dsm1995

you might as well upgrade to a docsis 3 modem as the old D2 modems are being phased out and why pay the same as everyone else and get half the speed

Dsm1995

join:2010-04-14
San Diego, CA

im happy with 25/5 tier for my devices and don't need or want the extra bandwith. if that happens, ill drop to a lower tier...