how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

James457

@68.228.36.x
reply to RiPPn

Re: [AZ] Speed Increase July Rollout Date for Preferred/Premier

what is the name of the config file for this upgrade mine is 161001_vm2.0_d.cfg on a zoom modem.. anyone in Tucson getting the upgrade yet?

Rakeesh

join:2011-10-30
Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI
reply to Azpen30

said by Azpen30 :

Is anyone getting the new 100+ speeds on a 4X4 modem? or only the 8x4?

My DPC3000 is.

Though I have to say that 10mbit upstream is a little disappointing for a 100mbit tier.

I realize that cable has an inherently limited upstream capacity relative to the downstream capacity, but I know it can do much more than 10mbit.

Also, and this is a question to anybody who works at Cox, why on earth is it that in the past you had to do a truck roll to go 50mbit or above, whereas this morning I'm pushed to double that speed with no changes whatsoever?

rgs_rx

join:2002-06-14
Phoenix, AZ

1 edit
reply to rgs_rx

OK, so a month ago I get a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem and consistently got 65/12. This morning, after power cycling, I get 82/12. I see people posting download speeds of 117 so I figure it's my old Linksys 100 Mb router and start to shop for a new gigabit router. Now, tonight I am getting about 32/12. So I guess there is no point in getting a new router since Cox has over-saturated my node so that I will now be getting 30 Mb during peak times on Premier after the double-speed, "upgrade" that halved my speed . Is anyone else showing degraded speeds in the evening on Premier in Phoenix? I am in South Phoenix.

Rakeesh

Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI

said by rgs_rx:

OK, so a month ago I get a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem and consistently got 65/12. This morning, after power cycling, I get 82/12. I see people posting download speeds of 117 so I figure it's my old Linksys 100 Mb router and start to shop for a new gigabit router. Now, tonight I am getting about 32/12. So I guess there is no point in getting a new router since Cox has over-saturated my node so that I will now be getting 30 Mb during peak times on Premier after the double-speed, "upgrade" that halved my speed . Is anyone else showing degraded speeds in the evening on Premier in Phoenix? I am in South Phoenix.

Back up the configuration locally and do a full nvram reset, and see if your speeds improve. If not, just restore it. I suspect it will though because sometimes the running services on those can be in a bad state that screws with your effective throughput.

TabsAZ

join:2004-02-12
Phoenix, AZ
reply to rgs_rx

I'm seeing this pretty consistently from central Phoenix on Preferred with an SB6120 and an Asus RT-N56U. What is the upstream speed actually supposed to be? I thought I'd read 10 but it's pretty consistently 6-7 on all the different servers in the area.

antonio010

join:2002-11-24
reply to Rakeesh

said by Rakeesh:

Also, and this is a question to anybody who works at Cox, why on earth is it that in the past you had to do a truck roll to go 50mbit or above, whereas this morning I'm pushed to double that speed with no changes whatsoever?

The idea was to roll a truck to ensure that your signals were in range and passed "Homecert" (internal employee tracking metrics software). This was focused on more thoroughly because docsis 3 was becoming more prevalent and multi channel bonding signals needed to be in range.

ryanmcv

join:2001-10-14
Phoenix, AZ
reply to rgs_rx

Received the upgrade in downtown Phoenix yesterday (Premier package):

rgs_rx

Phoenix, AZ
reply to Rakeesh

said by Rakeesh:

said by rgs_rx:

Back up the configuration locally and do a full nvram reset, and see if your speeds improve. If not, just restore it. I suspect it will though because sometimes the running services on those can be in a bad state that screws with your effective throughput.

Thanks for answering Rakeesh. Just to be clear, when you say to do a full nvram reset, are you referring to a hard reset of the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button? I have a 5 year old Linksys wrt160n. I already have a new ASUS gigabit modem on order because in the morning (non-peak), I get 118Mb/s with the computer directly hooked up to the modem but only 80Mb/s through the old Linksys so it is a bottleneck.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to CoxTech1

Regarding the two year price lock, is that for new subs only?
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

Maltz

join:2011-01-08
Fayetteville, AR
reply to TabsAZ

said by TabsAZ:

I'm seeing this pretty consistently from central Phoenix on Preferred with an SB6120 and an Asus RT-N56U. What is the upstream speed actually supposed to be? I thought I'd read 10 but it's pretty consistently 6-7 on all the different servers in the area.

Cox only doubled the download speeds, so those speed results look about right. Upload speeds and caps are unchanged

TabsAZ

join:2004-02-12
Phoenix, AZ

Ah ok, thanks - that makes sense then. Too bad though, I wish upload had been increased as well...

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to TabsAZ

5mbps. anything over is powerboost.
--
Despises any post with strings.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to antonio010

actually it was 'because we can' and the fees that go with it.
they can remotely look at your signal levels.
--

bbeesley
VIP
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX
kudos:5

said by dvd536:

actually it was 'because we can' and the fees that go with it.

you keep making that claim but it simply isn't true. I was there when some of these new services were rolled out and due to the increased complexity - higher order modulation, channel bonding, etc - it was decided to do a professional install in order to ensure that the install went well and customers avoided the frustration of calling in and then having to schedule a truck roll to complete an install

The intent was always positive and never did I hear anyone at any level of management suggest that they could make money sticking it to the customer

JayNorVA

@72.218.238.x
reply to James457

Virginia dead last again... sigh.

Steve Clark

join:2001-06-10
Peoria, AZ
reply to rgs_rx

As of today in Peoria, Arizona AFTER rebooting the modem.

otacon

join:2002-06-12
Phoenix, AZ
reply to rgs_rx

Good to see Phoenix got it. Be home to tomorrow after a week long business trip. Looking forward to the fast speeds.

rgs_rx

Phoenix, AZ
reply to Irish Shark

said by Irish Shark:

Regarding the two year price lock, is that for new subs only?

I have two accounts, one is for work. The last time I called to change the speed tier on my work account the rep just offered it to me. I asked if I can lock my other account which is a bundled home account and she did it. So the rep I dealt with did it on two old accounts but I don't know if it's official Cox policy or she just offered it.
I think they will give it to existing customers because if you close the account before the two year lock, you must pay the balance of months remaining. So if you know that there is little chance of leaving Cox within a couple of years, you may as well call and ask for it. Google is considering Phoenix for fiber internet & TV so a two year lock would also be ok here because it will probably be close to two years before it's fully rolled out pending their final decision.

jvr

@68.226.25.x

East Mesa data point.. 20 mins ago was getting ~30 or a little under, now after I just rebooted:

firerx

join:2005-01-28
Avondale, AZ

Try using an Los Angeles or San Diego server to test with. Thank you Cox

Rakeesh

Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI
reply to rgs_rx

said by rgs_rx:

Thanks for answering Rakeesh. Just to be clear, when you say to do a full nvram reset, are you referring to a hard reset of the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button? I have a 5 year old Linksys wrt160n. I already have a new ASUS gigabit modem on order because in the morning (non-peak), I get 118Mb/s with the computer directly hooked up to the modem but only 80Mb/s through the old Linksys so it is a bottleneck.

That might work (I don't recall exactly how those linksys routers worked) but either that or go into the administrative options and do a full factory reset.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ

2 recommendations

reply to bbeesley

They're not going to disclose that to the engineers.
sorry i don't buy it. if you got WORKING D3 service on a approved modem its not going to matter whats in the config file[its not like the faster tiers run over special frequencies]

same thing with contour and their $60 pro 'because we can' install fee[they're rather firm on this which is why i don't have it]
I'm smart enough to screw in a coax and plug in a hdmi cable.
--

Guzzler

join:2002-09-24
Tempe, AZ
kudos:1
reply to rgs_rx

Looking at my router logs, Cox rebooted my modem last night (actually they did it 3 times) and got the speed increase.

I just wish they would have increased the upload speed also, and IPv6 (I know, next year is the new supposed roll out date).

Termites

@174.79.1.x
reply to m8trix

said by m8trix:

the increase will come in February, as it does every year

exactly 10% 12%

SDKiwi
VIP
join:2002-05-27
El Cajon, CA
kudos:2
reply to bbeesley

Bill knows whereof he speaks.

desertrat1

@68.104.222.x
reply to rgs_rx

My download speed increased today (Cox Premier), it's a little over 100 Mbps

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to RiPPn

116/12 its here

otacon

join:2002-06-12
Phoenix, AZ
reply to rgs_rx

Click for full size
Just got home after a week long business trip... we're good.

Andrew

@68.115.178.x

I'm somewhat looking forward to this increase when it comes to Hampton Roads, VA... but I'm curious about something: Will this move our bandwidth caps up any? I mean it's great and everything to get faster and faster speed but what good is it if you feel strangled by the 250-300GB cap? Seems to me you'd just get there faster...

smokozuna

join:2008-04-11
Las Vegas, NV

having all this speed with these really low caps is ridiculous. i absolutely hate getting those overage emails every month, if fact i blocked the emails from cox so i no longer get them.