Search similar:

uniqs

james7771
@68.228.36.x

james7771 to smokozuna

Anon

to smokozuna

Re: [AZ] Speed Increase July Rollout Date for Preferred/Premier

Anyone know when Tucson, Arizona will be getting the speed upgrade ?

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to otacon9

Premium Member

to otacon9
did they take powerboost off upload? i used to always get around 30 megs up.
Maltz
join:2011-01-08
Fayetteville, AR
Calix 844G
Netgate SG-2100
Ubiquiti U6-LR

Maltz

said by dvd536:

did they take powerboost off upload? i used to always get around 30 megs up.

No, but I had the same thing happen with last year's upgrade. I used to be able to hit 20Mb up on Premier, which was well above what they were advertising as the powerboost max at the time. After last years' speed upgrade, my powerboost upload speed went down to the advertised 13Mb. So while the powerboost speed went down, sustained upload speeds actually went up, and that's what I really care about on the upload side.

This time around, I've seen no change in my upload rates - about 10Mb sustained, 13Mb w/ powerboost.

InTucson
@68.106.20.x

InTucson to james7771

Anon

to james7771
said by james7771 :

Already happenned. Make sure you have a Docsis3 modem.

Also try tests without router if still slow.
otacon9
join:2002-06-12
Phoenix, AZ

otacon9 to rgs_rx

to rgs_rx
I don't understand all the talk about caps... no ISP has a hard cap in place. I'd be worried if Cox HAD increased the cap. Since they haven't it tells me they don't really care....to certain a point. If you're using TB's of bandwidth you're going to get more than the standard you went over your cap limit for the month email.

Sundog
I'm an analog man in a digital world
Premium Member
join:2003-12-12
Tucson, AZ

4 edits

Sundog to InTucson

Premium Member

to InTucson
said by InTucson :

said by james7771 :

Already happenned. Make sure you have a Docsis3 modem.

Also try tests without router if still slow.

You might also have them test your line. I was getting intermittent speeds and had an unusual problem. Problem didn't show up doing my tests and their testing. Talked to Tier 2 and we decided the line was probably bad. They installed a new line and all is well. In fact, it's great.

Cox did an excellent job on troubleshooting this particular problem I had. Also thank for doing a adequate job on installation. I just have to clean up your problems you created in installation. I filled out your survey; let's see if you actually read them and a representative responds/calls me.

Thank you Cox for the new speeds and fixing my line.

(sarcastic)
Now just don't give us the price increase that usually comes with new things....

(We know it's coming; nothing is free in life.)
(/sarcastic)

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to otacon9

Premium Member

to otacon9
Canadian isps do complete with overages

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark to rgs_rx

MVM

to rgs_rx
I called and the CSR said that Cox can do the lock. I asked if I could get the price that new subs are getting. She sourt of said yes, but I had to talk to retention/loyalty.

She transferred me over, but there was a 30 min hold time.

I'll try again on Monday and see what they offer me.

rgs_rx
join:2002-06-14
Phoenix, AZ

rgs_rx

said by Irish Shark:

I called and the CSR said that Cox can do the lock. I asked if I could get the price that new subs are getting. She sourt of said yes, but I had to talk to retention/loyalty.

She transferred me over, but there was a 30 min hold time.

I'll try again on Monday and see what they offer me.

Customer loyalty/retention is another story for me. The first level reps are authorized to knock off like $5 or $10 if you express discontent with your bundle/price or suggest you are looking at some great offers from CenturyLink, etc. I initially had received that small discount but recently called back because Google is in the process of moving into Phoenix and currently CenturyLink is offering aggressive packages (actually going door to door). When I spoke to the first rep, she stated that I am already getting a $10 discount when I expressed seriously considering switching to CenturyLink and she is not authorized to offer any more than that. However, she stated that since I have been a customer for 9&1/2 years, she would escalate me to customer loyalty/retention. I forget how long I waited but the guy was really nice. He searched all possible permutations on both my work account and my bundled home account. The bottom line was a 20% reduction in my home bundled account. I forget the length of time for the reduction bu I think it is two years because I remember thinking that would be about the time Google would be well underway in Phoenix if they decide to come here. On my work account, I received 50% reduction for 6 months. This also worked out for me because my company claims that they are currently studying paying for our internet access once again (they used to reimburse in the past but stopped about two years ago) and will probably start paying by the end of the year which was just under 7 months from the time I accepted the 6 month deal from Cox about six weeks ago. When I asked him if that was really the best he could do (CenturLink's deal was still better), he stated that at that point, if the deal wasn't good enough and I asked to terminate my account, he would need to let me go. He said that he needs to close accounts all the time, so there is a limit to how low they will go before they let you walk.
So when you call back, it's definitely worth waiting for the customer loyalty department.
Good Luck.
NHTracker
join:2002-05-12
Phoenix, AZ

NHTracker to rgs_rx

to rgs_rx
I'm in Phoenix and I have preferred and last week my speeds went from around 25 to 30 down to around 60 down sustained. Now suddenly today all I can get is 30 down. What is going on?

Irish Shark
MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark to rgs_rx

MVM

to rgs_rx
I called retention/loyalty and she said that the best they would do is $5-10/month. She also said that I will be paying the 50mb price when we get upgraded not the old price, but the current price for the 50mb service as the price is now.

Guess that they have all the bases covered.

Total HS to me.
arm3nian
join:2014-02-26

arm3nian to rgs_rx

to rgs_rx
On preferred and got the increase after modem reboot in Las Vegas

First test: (12:17 PST) »www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 54510807
OIVIG
join:2014-07-08

OIVIG

Vegas?
arm3nian
join:2014-02-26

arm3nian

Yeah edited post
JBT
Premium Member
join:2002-12-06
Odessa, FL

JBT to james7771

Premium Member

to james7771
I'm east of Houghton( far east), and received the upgrade. It must have gone in place either Sunday or Monday morning.
Asclepius
join:2008-07-21
Las Vegas, NV

Asclepius to rgs_rx

to rgs_rx
On preferred in Vegas here also. My modem just rebooted, kicking me out of my game, but the reason was worth it.

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 54568047

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel

Yea, Thanks COX for the upgrade on time.

kboxvegas4
join:2001-11-29
Las Vegas, NV

kboxvegas4

Had to reboot my modem but speeds are holding at 120mbs down

Irish Shark
MVM
Las Vegas, NV

4 edits

Irish Shark to rgs_rx

MVM

to rgs_rx

Vegas No Reboot

Vegas MODEM Reboot

Click for full size
Cox Speed Test

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay to rgs_rx

MVM

to rgs_rx
Tue Jul 29 06:37 PM... 60 Mbps Down and 19 Mbps Up without doing anything! My usual tests show, 33 Mbps and 18 Mbps as an example. This is testing from the Phoenix test site. Have they changed things without even being called to up the download speeds?
And I just tested on both San Diego and then back to Phx. again and ended with, 10 Mbps and 13 Mbps. This is nuts!!!

rgs_rx
join:2002-06-14
Phoenix, AZ

rgs_rx to Irish Shark

to Irish Shark
said by Irish Shark:

I called retention/loyalty and she said that the best they would do is $5-10/month. She also said that I will be paying the 50mb price when we get upgraded not the old price, but the current price for the 50mb service as the price is now.

Guess that they have all the bases covered.

Total HS to me.

I must be missing something. Are you preferred (25Mb/s) or premier (50Mb/s) now? If you are Preferred now you will be upgraded to 50/5 for the same price as preferred now. Premier's price before upgrade is 50/10 so to downgrade you to 50/5 & charge you for 50/10 is going backward.
She is wrong. Preferred will go from 25/5 to 50/5 with no additional charge right now. Premier will go from 50/10 to 100/10 with no additional charge. That is what happened in Phoenix.
As far as the $5 to $10 offer, do you bundle or just have internet? If you do not have TV/Internet/Phone then they probably will not offer as much for retention.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

1 recommendation

dvd536

Premium Member

keep an eye on your bills folks! they might be thinking of cramming[doubling speeds then charging you for the next higher tier]

seasailing
@72.222.243.x

seasailing to rgs_rx

Anon

to rgs_rx
A rep told me on 7/30/14 the target date for AZ was July 25th - 31st. But then made the comment "but who knows" a little too sarcastically. Plus, he couldn't tell me if my area had already been upgraded. I was also told you need a Docsis 3.0 modem to reap the benefits. A Docsis 2.0 caps out before reaching the new speeds.

Termites
@174.79.1.x

Termites

Anon

This upgrade in speed means nothing if the Cap isn't raised by DOUBLE..
i can see alot of people passing their caps and people will start complaining..

Ipad
Xbox
PC
PS4

think about that if someone has all this connected that's not including watching Movies 3-5 days a week HD movies 1080P over the PC To TV..

One Anti-Competitive company COX.

Irish Shark
MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark to rgs_rx

MVM

to rgs_rx
I do not think that she had the foggiest idea what was happening. She seemed dumb (on purpose?) as to any speed increase.

Yes, I have Preferred and the new speed is 50mb. I have Internet and phone with Cox. My contract with Dish is up in November. I am looking for other places to go unless Dish gives me a deal. The Cox TV just does not cut it for me; so they are last on my list.

What I think is what she thought was happening: I was moving (upgrading) up a tier to Premier to 50mb. That is why she was saying that I would be paying for upgrading.

Then she offered me the $5 - 10/month with a two year contract. I could have got that from the first CSR that I talked to.

That is when I exited the phone call.

Here is another possibility. When Cox does the next rate increase, I will be paying the Premier rate as it is today. I am paying $63 ++ for internet. The Premier price is $74 ++. So take $10 off and that puts me back to my current rate for Preferred.

Just another twist.
Irish Shark

Irish Shark to Termites

MVM

to Termites
Just because your speed increased why should the cap go up?

Whatever you are doing now, you will still do it; but in some cases it will be faster.

You would have to do more Internet intensive tasks for your current usage to go up. In fact, many things will lower your usage as you will be using less Internet time.
skaforey
join:2003-02-12
Santee, CA

skaforey to Termites

to Termites
said by Termites :

This upgrade in speed means nothing if the Cap isn't raised by DOUBLE..
i can see alot of people passing their caps and people will start complaining..

Ipad
Xbox
PC
PS4

think about that if someone has all this connected that's not including watching Movies 3-5 days a week HD movies 1080P over the PC To TV..

One Anti-Competitive company COX.

To start, I'm completely against caps as I think it just gives ISP's too much incentive to not invest in their infrastructure. Also, bandwidth is dirt cheap....

Having said that, I think you're getting all hot and bothered about nothing really. Sure, you might get an email saying you've gone over your cap, but they do not do anything besides that. There are plenty of other ISP's who are a lot worse in this regard.
said by Irish Shark :

Whatever you are doing now, you will still do it; but in some cases it will be faster.

You would have to do more Internet intensive tasks for your current usage to go up. In fact, many things will lower your usage as you will be using less Internet time.

Say what, this makes no sense!?!?
Maltz
join:2011-01-08
Fayetteville, AR
Calix 844G
Netgate SG-2100
Ubiquiti U6-LR

Maltz

said by skaforey:

said by Irish Shark :

Say what, this makes no sense!?!?

Yeah, a speed boost isn't going to lower your usage, but the rest of it makes sense. How does your speed (beyond a certain point) affect how much data you use at all? Both the plans that are getting faster are already plenty fast to stream multiple simultaneous HD movies. The only things that will change are that you won't have to wait as long for big downloads and your videos will be less likely to buffer. Unless you plan to watch more movies or download more games, your usage shouldn't change at all.

I suppose you might see an increase if you're seeding torrents or something like that, but that would only affect your usage if the upload rate changed, which it hasn't, and you didn't manually cap the seed rate - which would be a really bad idea anyway.
whiteazn
join:2005-02-10
Henderson, NV

whiteazn to rgs_rx

to rgs_rx
Anyone know what the old Upload speed was on premier? I thought the old upload speed was 20 Mbps up (so 50 down, 20 up) ? Right now, the speed under the new increase is 100 down, 10 up.

Or am I wrong?

sniperboyz
join:2009-10-30
Portsmouth, VA
Technicolor CGM4331
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

sniperboyz to Termites

to Termites
Same issue here with cap usage. Went over cap once or twice I am not sure.

Here our devices connected our network:
2x PS3s
1x Xbox 360
3x iPads 2nd Gen
2x Desktops
3x Laptops
1x Server
3x Smartphones
3x Smart TVs
1x Videophone

These all using Netflix, online gaming, web, Skype, facetime, etc. Cox need to move on with unlimited cap or pull up to 500GB to 1TB+

Speed would fit if Cox don't limit the highest speed in future like:

Preferred: 50/25
Premier: 150+/50
Ultimate: 1G/1G (fiber optics, Ethernet, or DOCSIS 3.1 with 24/8)