neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2013) Charge loop

I went to go use my tablet for Field Day 2014, and the battery was dead. Okay, plug it in, and the icon comes up for a moment, starts to charge, then disappears. It keeps doing this. I figured it was my charger (using my HTC 1A USB charger), so I just did without.

Got it home, and plugged it into my 1.5A charger... Still does it.

I tried doing the whole "blowing into the connectors" thing I saw on the Interwebs, and holding the power button for 30 sec, plug in the charger, and keep holding power for 30 sec... but all that does is just make it cycle faster.

I hate to think the battery is bad... and the damn warranty expired on it in March... Ugh...

Any ideas?

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Robotics

Premium Member

Maybe the battery was close to completely drained. Fot that tablet I think its recommended to start charging at 15% left in the battery.

Ive never let mine get more than 10% left, and never have had the problem you mentioned.

I would make sure the tablet is off, plug in the charger and walk away.

I had an old blackberry phone that wasn't used in years. and the battery was 100% dead. I wanted to keep a charge in it as to possibly sell the phone later down the road.
When I plugged in the charger for the phone, it acted weird and similar to what you say happened, but after close to an hour or more, it finally kicked in and started charging. Ended up getting a full charge again.

So maybe just plugging it in to charge with the tablet off, and just let it do its thing and keep your fingers crossed.

I cant imagine the battery being shot. I have had my tablet since they came available, and I am totally impressed with the batter life so far.

I would not use any charger other than the one that came with the tablet.

Hope this helps a little...and good luck

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Problem is you can't turn it off... If you try to hold down the power button to force it off, it goes into a reboot loop. (it stops when you let go of the power button).

I left it plugged in last night. Hoping it will put some kind of charge into it.

This is what my tablet is doing... (not my video)

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· _G7Zfa1M

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
Louisa, VA

Robotics

Premium Member

I watched the video and several others. Looks like several people agreed that using the supplied adapter corrected it. (2amp. Samsung charger)
Maybe you need a little more amperage (?) to get it to kick into charging mode, and not loop like its doing.

I'm sure you know, but the trick to these gadgets now a days is to start charging when the device recommends it, and not to let it get to far below what ever percent is recommended.
Hope you can get it to work properly again. They are very nice tablets.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Trick is, my tablet was never supplied with an adapter. Just a cable.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
Louisa, VA

1 recommendation

Robotics

Premium Member

Wow. Wonder if they forgot to put it in the box. My self and my wife's son both have the tablets and we got adapters included.
The adapter is rated 5.0 volts/2.0amps. Somewhere I read the tablet has to have 2.0amps in order to charge properly, especially if the tablet is on during charging. Maybe try to get the original charger from Samsung. Its a nice charger, and is actually a travel charger accepting 100 to 240 volts input.
If it helps, the model # is ETA-U90JWE

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

My local Best Buy didn't have the charger (even though when I called them they said they did). I bought a generic 2.4A charger... I didn't get a chance to test it.

I left the tablet plugged into my computer overnight. When I woke up this morning, it was fully charged.

I powered up the tablet, and it it's fully charged. When I plug it in with the new charger, the red X shows up over the battery. If I power the tablet off, then it will charge .

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
Louisa, VA

Robotics

Premium Member

Glad to hear you were able to get a charge to the battery. No sure why you would get the red X using the charger. Wonder if 2.4amp is a little to much for the tablets charging system. Curious if it has done this since the day you had the tablet and that charger.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

I haven't noticed it before.

Best Buy now has the Samsung Experience, which is run by Samsung, not Best Buy. They said for me to bring the tablet by and they would check it out for me.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
Louisa, VA

Robotics

Premium Member

That sounds great! Hope they can tract that "X" situation down. Keeps us posted. Id like to know what that X means. Good luck.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Well, the X means that a charger is plugged in, but the tablet is using more power than the charger is providing.... IIRC...

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
Louisa, VA

Robotics

Premium Member

Interesting. Never seen that on mine or son in laws. I'm guessing that may mean the charger isn't actually putting out what it claims (?) I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 cell phone. And I have to use an adapter for in the car that provides 2.0 amps. or it will hardly power the phone, and forget about getting a charge out of it (even a trickle charge) if the phone is on. Starting to sound like Samsung has a tight requirement on the chargers used for some of their devices. I would really try to get the charger meant for the tablet, or just charge it when its off. Don't let it get to much lower than 15% before charging.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Well, my 1A & 1.5A HTC chargers won't work on the tablet. The 2.4A generic charger won't work on the tablet. Even the 1.0A Samsung charger that is for my mother's phone won't even work (it's for a Galaxy S3).

The Samsung guy at BB was talking about resetting my tablet, but I don't know if that will fix it. I'm hoping the cable is bad or something...

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
Louisa, VA

Robotics

Premium Member

I was thinking of the reset scenario also. I just hope using the 2.4amp generic charger didn't mess up something internally with the charging system of the tablet.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

It's kind of why I am wondering if the cable is bad. I usually charge the tablet by my computer, or by the 1A LG USB charger.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
Louisa, VA

Robotics

Premium Member

Are you using the same cable for all means of charging, and it works with all? I'm a little confused now, sorry.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Yes.. I use the same cable... I only have one.....

It doesn't charge unless the tablet is off... with all chargers. The 1.0A chargers won't even charge it when it is off. The PC is how I charged it this time, by just leaving it plugged in and walking away from it overnight.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
Louisa, VA

Robotics

Premium Member

Kind of sounds like it isn't the cable, if it works while plugged into the pc. I would say its the chargers. Cant remember where I read it, but it has to be 2 amps. not more, not less. PC just might be providing the 2 amps it needs. I'm not sure on how much amperage comes out of USB's on pc's. I would think they differ also, but not sure. At least you can get it charged from the pc

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

If it matters, I had the tablet plugged into a USB hub, not a USB port directly on the computer.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
Louisa, VA

Robotics

Premium Member

Yes they do put out more...up to 3amps I believe.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Well, I went by the "Samsung Experience" kiosk at Best Buy, and told the guy what was up. He looked at the tablet, plugged it into a regular Samsung charger, and it worked fine. He declared that to be the problem, and gave me (yes, gave... much to the dismay of the Best Buy employee within earshot) a 2A Samsung charger.

I asked him about aftermarket chargers, and he said that the 2.4A Rocketfish charger Best Buy sells should work as well. I pulled one out of my pocket, and handed to him. He plugged it in, and it didn't work, much to his dismay. He tried a different cable, and it still didn't work.

So, it's sitting here now, charging fine while being used. He advised me if I buy a new cable, to buy an original Samsung cable and/or charger.

Thanks for the help... I appreciate it...

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
Louisa, VA

Robotics

Premium Member

Really glad to hear everything worked out. Especially getting a free charger...that's pretty good. One thing I have learned is if when powering and or charging these new gadgets out there, it is best to use the supplied or recommended/original chargers/power supplies. I even goes as far as making sure I have the recommended cigarette lighter adapter for any given product.
Guess this is why I have drawers full of chargers and adapters

Glad to hear the great news!