uniqs
share rss forum feed

nicholas720

join:2014-07-01
Long Beach, CA

1 edit

New to Charter in Long Beach, Search/Programming Questions

Click for full size
Hi - I just switched from Fios to Charter in Long Beach for the same triple package - but with a better channel lineup and $10 less with Charter. I knew the interface would be more primitive than Fios - but (see attached) - this is almost ridiculous. The fact that it looks like it's 2001 wasn't the biggest issue -the bigger issues were the lack of features. For me the lack of search and no DVR programming from the web is huge - you can't search for a show by entering text into a field; I thought I could work around this by using the Charter DVR Manager online or the Charter App - but of course, those don't work with my Cisco 8640HDC box. The "send to TV" features of the App don't work with my box either. In addition, You can't limit the guide to show subscribed channels; and the favorite button will only cycle through those channels - as opposed to showing you a modified guide for those channels.

I mean it is what it is I guess - I will probably dump the cable tv after two weeks either call Fios back or get a dish... But is it true that I can't change interfaces since it's all dependent on where I live and everybody in Long Beach gets the same box? Or is there anyway to update this interface somehow to one of the other ones that Charter shows on their website?

I called Charter two times and was told that. I lived in the same neighborhood (four blocks away) in 2006-7 and had the same Charter service but had a Moxi box that had features that looked decades beyond this new guide here in 2014. I've also been with Time Warner and Cox since then and expected more than this when switching to Charter, at least I expected to match the features of my 2006 experience.

Thanks!!

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:1

That guide being used still to this day is pretty damn pathetic. Even that is a understatement. I never would have dropped FIOS. Go back to it or get Directv/Dish. They are with the "times". Charter is still stuck in time.

baja7475

join:2009-06-16
Atascadero, CA
reply to nicholas720

That is ridiculous that Cisco has that interface. I have the same box and my interface has been upgraded about 4 times in the last 2 years. I live about 4 hours north of you.

oneoone

join:2010-01-20
Lagrange, GA
reply to nicholas720

Switch from fils to Charter, why why why ha?

baja7475

Atascadero, CA

said by oneoone:

Switch from fils to Charter, why why why ha?

Because charter has more channels, more on-demand and less compression per channel is just my guess

nicholas720

Long Beach, CA
reply to baja7475

Hey Baja - even if I have to keep the same box, can my interface be upgraded? This is sad, people make jokes about it

nicholas720

Long Beach, CA
reply to oneoone

Definitely more channels for the price. The internet seems pretty good. But I didn't realize I'd be going back to 2001, and had NO idea that the interface would be this archaic. If I did, I would have stayed...

Phatty

join:2000-05-10
Saint Louis, MO

I think 2001 is rounding up a bit, I would have just said late 90's

mixdup

join:2003-06-28
Birmingham, AL
reply to nicholas720

Consider buying a TiVo. You'll save money in the long run and it's better than the DVR even from FiOS or the satellite companies.

baja7475

Atascadero, CA
reply to nicholas720

Yep, my interface got upgraded from charter automatically. See what the time frame is in your area. Ask a tech, the local office or somebody on chat. Definitely don't call.

nicholas720

Long Beach, CA

Good advice, I went to the office today. I showed that pic and asked if that was really the interface that all of long beach had (or was stuck with)? She was cool - she seemed a bit ashamed like she's had this question a million times - and said yes. She said that they are planning on testing something else in the future, but there are no dates set.

That was better advice that I had by the phone people. The first guy I called said to go to the charter home page and click on the contact us link, where I would find an email address for corporate customer support. Of course, there was no email...

So my charter days (weeks) are pretty much over at this point - though I'll check Tivo out. Now I know why everybody in this neighborhood has either satellite or Fios...

Satch

join:2009-11-25
reply to nicholas720

said by nicholas720:

Hi - I just switched from Fios to Charter in Long Beach for the same triple package - but with a better channel lineup and $10 less with Charter. I knew the interface would be more primitive than Fios - but (see attached) - this is almost ridiculous. The fact that it looks like it's 2001 wasn't the biggest issue -the bigger issues were the lack of features. For me the lack of search and no DVR programming from the web is huge - you can't search for a show by entering text into a field; I thought I could work around this by using the Charter DVR Manager online or the Charter App - but of course, those don't work with my Cisco 8640HDC box. The "send to TV" features of the App don't work with my box either. In addition, You can't limit the guide to show subscribed channels; and the favorite button will only cycle through those channels - as opposed to showing you a modified guide for those channels.

I mean it is what it is I guess - I will probably dump the cable tv after two weeks either call Fios back or get a dish... But is it true that I can't change interfaces since it's all dependent on where I live and everybody in Long Beach gets the same box? Or is there anyway to update this interface somehow to one of the other ones that Charter shows on their website?

I called Charter two times and was told that. I lived in the same neighborhood (four blocks away) in 2006-7 and had the same Charter service but had a Moxi box that had features that looked decades beyond this new guide here in 2014. I've also been with Time Warner and Cox since then and expected more than this when switching to Charter, at least I expected to match the features of my 2006 experience.

Thanks!!

OMG! That guide is HORRIBLE! I am with TWC and if the merger goes through, our area in Wisconsin will be Charter. I have some cable background.

The above guide is the SARA software. It was the guide pre-installed with the old SA-8000DVR and Pioneer Boxes back in about 2001-2003. Years out of date. People had it, said it is reliable, but looks like an Apple II from 1980.

Is it this way for everyone in Long Beach? Our TWC Navigator guide is OK, not great, but is 100 times nicer looking that this! Our Navigator Guide for the Cisco, and Samsung, and Motrolla boxes, was just updated to HD and a new search system.

I thought you had an old SA-8000 box! But you have an SA-8640? That's one of the newer ones. No reason why Charter can't give you a modern guide for that box!

Satch

Techie01

@71.11.1.x

CSRs can't push it out over the phone so that isn't true. California SA boxes use the old SARA guide in quite a few places as do a few other states.