All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

zwitter153
@50.36.172.x

zwitter153

Anon

[Wireless] How do I change the default gateway on a Cisco E3200 router?

I have a Cisco E3200 router. I am adding a firewall to my network and I will be abandoning the WAN port on the router. I need the E3200 to point to the FW as its default gateway. I have tried adding a static route, but it keeps telling me it is an invalid route. How do I change/set the default gateway?

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI

MVM

Firmware update may help. I had this exact problem setting up an E3200 at work as AP-only and it took later firmware to do it correctly. As I recall, the later firmware added bridge mode. If that's incompatible with what you're doing, the problem may still exist.

zwitter153
@50.36.172.x

zwitter153

Anon

Thanks for they reply Bill. I believe the E3200 has the latest firmware. It does have a bridge-mode setup, and while that may be useful to make the 3200 an AP, I still need the 3200 to perform it's DHCP and routing functions. All my hosts point to the 3200 as their default gateway. Normally, the 3200 would forward packets it doesn't know what to do with out the WAN port - out to the internet. In my case, I need the 3200 to forward the packets to another INSIDE host. Ideally, I'd like my setup to be: router at 1.1 with a 24-bit mask. All my hosts get a 1.X DHCP assigned address from 1.1 and all point to 1.1 as their default gateway. My FW would be at 1.100. The FW has the connection to the internet, so the WAN port on the 3200 would be unused. I'd need to set a static route for 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 to 1.100 on the 3200 so that when it receives a packet it needs to forward, instead of forwarding to the WAN port, it forwards to the 1.100 FW. But, the 3200 won't let me add this static route. I can't put the FW on the WAN port as it will be on the same subnet as the inside network of the router. I can't use another IP schema on the FW as I need it to be able to communicate with inside hosts for VPN purposes. I can't abandon the 3200 as I need an inside router and I need the wireless capabilities. Worst case, I'd have to simply convert the 3200 to an AP as you have, and make the FW do one-arm routing and serve DHCP. It won't be pretty, but it would work. It just seems wasteful to do this when I have a router that works, just not the way I want it to.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI

MVM

Gotcha. I was wondering your setup. It's not very efficient forwarding packets to the FW anyway.

I wasn't impressed with the E3200 setup. Lots of glitz without much meat and geared for consumer 1-click setup (like bridge mode). Last thing we needed was a file sharing USB drive. But my boss bought it as a quick AP and I got stuck making it work.

It's been solid for a few years so I'm not complaining. I thought I saw some 3rd party firmware that may help, too. Good Luck!