All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Ross
@50.180.239.x

Ross

Anon

Wireless PCI adapter - help (also, possibly could use a rec for a router...)

Hi all - I am in a new home which has three stories and a back patio and garage, all of which I would like to have Wi-Fi access on and have the best speeds possible without having to sell my left kidney to afford the hardware to do so. I currently have an advertised 105mbps speed through Comcast and can actually get above this via Ethernet cable - speeds are awesome here currently... but would only use Ethernet for testing purposes. I have an Arris TG852G which is currently acting as a Wi-Fi access point in addition to modem. The range isn't so hot for this, nor are the speeds when compared with the Ethernet connection. I plan to set the Arris up as a bridge and have a better Wi-Fi router connected to it. I actually own an ASUS RT-N16 which worked well at my last home and had great speeds and range (literally could use it the next block over which was nuts there). There is not much network congestion in my home (only one other network available and its signal is weak, from a neighbor) since I'm on a 2 acre lot. The use for the signal would be streaming TV and movies on up to 3 devices at once, including a Galaxy S5, an iPhone, and a bluray player with Netflix. Also, there would be a printer and a couple of other phones and computers hooked up to it that shouldn't tear through much bandwidth.

My desktop can't be near the router at this point - so no Ethernet connection will work. So I have two questions... first, would it be worth much of anything to actually get a dual band router (i.e. RT-N66 or other good ASUS router)? Since I'm not some mega power user (though I want as fast as possible internet speeds) I didn't know if it would really make much difference. The range won't be an issue with my RT-N16 so I thought the 66 might really just be a waste of $$$. The second question is this... I will be getting a wireless adapter for my desktop (PCI or USB, of course I will be getting PCI) and would like a rec on this as well, based on the recommendation of the ASUS RT-N16, RT-N66, or some other access point. My only preference is to use an ASUS router; otherwise, I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

- Ross
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill

buy a AC version wireless router. most n based routers have a hard time breaking 100mbit

dual band gains you nothing unless your 2.4 is swamped

nothing you told me needs anything over 50 mbit, so might want to consider that

your phones will never move 100 mbit traffic