newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview

Premium Member

Exodus

I consider myself fairly well-versed in computers (I build my own and run 4 here at my home, both Windows & Linux boxes) but not-so-well-versed in "media over the internet".

By contrast my two daughters, ages 25 & 27 have NEVER subscribed to a cableTV service and neither has my brother's 30 year old daughter & her husband. Their knowledge of what is available for streaming was the key for my decision to cut the cord two months ago. Poor content, high prices and never ending commercials was the incentive, but the nuts & bolts of HOW was what induced me to pull the trigger.

As the knowledge of How and Where to access the wealth of streams available becomes more mainstream, you'll see more & more of us old farts (I'm 61) sharing this information with our age group and the exodus will begin in earnest.

All you young whipper-snappers out there ... go teach some old dogs new tricks today.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

The biggest problem with online streaming TODAY is that to get everything, you do need to be a little more tech savvy still, but it is coming a long long way in the last few years. One device may not support streaming services that other devices do, and vice versa. Amazon Prime isn't on Apple TV for instance, but can still be gotten using Airplay.

The easiest way of watching online television is either a Apple TV combined with an iPad/iPhone, OR a Google Chromecast in combination with a Android based phone/pad. If you have the smartphone already from one type, you know what to get. It will allow you to completely control your television with the smartphone as the remote control. Apple uses Airplay, Google uses Chromecast, both are technologies that basically use your phone to stream to your television.

If you don't have a smartphone, get a Roku device. The Roku seems to be the most complete in offerings, and if you do get a smart phone later in life, I am told you can use it with Roku devices as well to stream more media.