spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

suntech

join:2014-07-02

New Wispa?

I have a question about starting a new wireless ISP. I already know what equipment I am going to be using which cambium networks, I have sites already scouted to get vertical, and I have found a wholesaler for bandwidth and IPv4's. I know how to set up and run the network and we are all tower climber and rescue certified. My question what licenses, insurances, and is bonding is needed? We will be doing business and residential installations?

Thanks in advance.

J

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
Where are you located? Most of what you're asking is location dependent...

suntech

reply to suntech
Southern New Mexico and West Texas to be specific.

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
kudos:1
reply to suntech
What you are asking for can be answered by a good attorney. If I had to do things over I wouldn't start without consulting with a good attorney to put in place the things you are asking as well as contracts for the customers etc.

We can all give advice here but at the end of the day it sounds like you need to spend a few hundred bucks and get some real legal advice.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
reply to suntech
I agree with what wirelessdog See Profile suggests.

Generally speaking, what you intend to do is rather mundane and the legal consultation shouldn't be very expensive at all. As he said, a couple of hundred dollars should cover it.

Be prepared, have questions:

- Business type (sole prop, LLC)
- Insurance requirements
- Employees and contractors
- Tax requirements
- Etc

So on and so forth...
--
A is A

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5
And in Texas, the first $25 of monthly internet is tax free. You also have to have a link on your home page pointing to a link for filtering software.

raytaylor

join:2009-07-28
reply to suntech
You are welcome to use the terms of service / customer contract on our contact page at www.ruralkiwi.com if you want to have a good watertight contract for your customers to agree to.

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
said by raytaylor:

You are welcome to use the terms of service / customer contract on our contact page at www.ruralkiwi.com if you want to have a good watertight contract for your customers to agree to.

Bad idea.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp

1 recommendation

reply to raytaylor
said by raytaylor:

You are welcome to use the terms of service / customer contract on our contact page at www.ruralkiwi.com if you want to have a good watertight contract for your customers to agree to as the basis for formulating your own TOS document, subject to your own local legal and regulatory conditions.

What Ray meant...probably.
--
A is A

suntech

Okay, thanks I will seek legal advice. Any other questions I should ask other than the ones John posted?

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
One thing I just remembered...

You might have an issue with your preferred insurance company when you try to get insurance. Insurance companies assign companies to risk pools that are based on the particular industry you work in. These pools are based on many factors considered over time.

They may not understand what a "WISP" is...so you need to explain to them that you are like a TV or sat antenna installer. That will be something they understand.

Others here might be able to direct you to insurance companies that they use.
--
A is A

ITGeeks

join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH
reply to suntech
Hartford is about the only insurance company insuring ISPs at this point. Be prepared to pay about $2,000 down up front. Call your nearest Nationwide agent to get a quote from them.

suntech

reply to raytaylor
Okay, so knows of a good insurance company that will cover NM and TX and that is also affordable. Thanks

jim_p_price7

join:2005-10-28
Henryetta, OK

1 recommendation

reply to suntech
I have Hartford out here in the Tulsa OK area. They did me right for about $760 a year.

ITGeeks

join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH
More than that in Ohio. How much did your purchase.

suntech

Great! You guys have been a great help. Now does anyone about the fiasco going on with the FCC regarding the unlicensed 5.7-5.8 GHz frequencies?

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5
No fiasco at all. They merely opened up U-NII-1 band to outdoor permitted much like U-Nii-2 is now.

Rhaas
Premium
join:2005-12-19
Bernie, MO
said by WHT:

No fiasco at all. They merely opened up U-NII-1 band to outdoor permitted much like U-Nii-2 is now.

Uhh - NO, not entirely.
They are(have done so) changing the rules regarding the 5.7-5.8 band, I suggest reading through the NPRM 13-49 and the comments.
WISPA's comments: »apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?···21161202
JAB's comments: »apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?···21159748
Cambiums comments: »apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?···21159860
SPITwSPOTS Comments: »apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?···22418864

I filed comments, and suggest others do so as well.
»apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?···21371058
--
I survived Hale-Bopp!