share rss forum feed

AJ102

join:2005-03-22
Vancouver, BC
Reviews:
·TELUS

1 edit

Shaw billing when closing account

In the last few months I've closed two Shaw internet accounts (business and personal). In each case I paid the final month's bill and returned the equipment to a Shaw outlet in person on the final day and got a signed receipt. In both cases Shaw sent me a bill weeks later still showing the equipment outstanding, and then they proceeded to dun me with automated phone calls and letters threatening to turn it over to Collections if I didn't pay up. How can they not know that the equipment has been returned when it was entered into their computer on the spot to print the receipt? When I called them, they said to just ignore it, their system is slow processing returns.

Excuse me, but this is both inefficient and unprofessional. Shaw should smarten up and fix this.

Maxx2006

join:2013-02-02
Cambridge, ON
kudos:2
Rogers did the same to me with there equipment, I had returned and they kept sending me invoices. It took them about two months to finally see that i returned the equipment.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to AJ102
Yeah, the last couple accounts I closed I did the same,

Returned hardware to store, entered into the computer, checked to see if a balance was owing, and that was it.

I didn't get anything after that, it was just done, properly...?

exshaw

@24.114.37.x
reply to AJ102
When I went to close my account they insisted that I had to return the modem I was using.

When I told them it was bought and paid for (by their own requirement) and was keeping it they said they would follow suite with forwarding my info to a collection agency.

After that I told them if they did that then I'd proceed to bring them to court. Haven't heard anything since then, so I assumed they decided to give up their little extortion racket.

Fryst

join:2014-06-30
Whistler, BC
when i closed my tv account, then told me to bring in the box on the 9th.

on the 7th or 8th i was being billed for my next month when the bill cycle started on the 9th......

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

1 edit
reply to AJ102
Newsflash: all companies make billing errors. It's a pain in the backside, but these errors can usually be easily rectified with a phonecall. It helps if you don't act like a dick, listen, and calmly explain the situation so that the rep can assist.

Shaw's current billing system really is inefficient and a huge POS... they know it and are in the midst of switching to a new, much more efficient system. But it's a huge undertaking and takes time. (It's WAY overdue)

LOL @ exshaw: people that threaten legal action over sixty dollar pieces of equipment are ridiculous. As if. "Extortion ring"...LOL!
You should be a soap opera writer --- you have a flair for the dramatic.

--
"All opinions stated by me are solely my views and do not reflect the views of my employer, this site, or even myself depending on my level of sanity at the moment"

AJ102

Vancouver, BC
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to AJ102
Yes, all companies make individual billing errors, and they rectify them. This is an ongoing billing error that Shaw is making with every departing customer and account, and it includes a threat to damage the customer's credit rating. I think that's a much more serious matter, and one that should be rectified immediately by any responsible company. It would be silly for either side to take it to court - but I think a complaint to a government regulatory agency would be in order.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
Shaw is as equally incompetent and malevolent at billing as the rest of their fellow oligopoly members. Bell. Rogers. Shaw. Telus. All of 'em. They're all cut from the same federally-regulated cloth. Their billing anomalies are virtually always in their favour, and their modus operandi is to continue to plague a customer, former or otherwise, with all manner of threats and coercion to pay amounts that are not lawfully owed.

This has been the practice for at least 2 decades. They do it because they can, and they get away with it because the oligopoly has captured the regulators. There is no enforcement. None. Zip. Nada. I'd love to learn just exactly how much money these bandits have made off with that they were not rightfully owed. I bet it's staggering.

Why is it that consumers have to take the low road and suck up to these companies? They've all had nasty billing systems for ages and nothing gets done about it.

More people need to stand up and fight back. To hell with being nice and making a friendly phone call. If they can't get their billing straight, f*ck 'em. Explain to a Judge. Pick a court date. The time for being nice is long gone. I repeat: f*ck 'em.

Mike
--
I've picked on Cogeco long enough. Who's next? Any volunteers?

ShawEmployee

@204.209.209.x
said by The E:

Newsflash: all companies make billing errors. It's a pain in the backside, but these errors can usually be easily rectified with a phonecall. It helps if you don't act like a dick, listen, and calmly explain the situation so that the rep can assist.

Shaw's current billing system really is inefficient and a huge POS... they know it and are in the midst of switching to a new, much more efficient system. But it's a huge undertaking and takes time. (It's WAY overdue)

LOL @ exshaw: people that threaten legal action over sixty dollar pieces of equipment are ridiculous. As if. "Extortion ring"...LOL!
You should be a soap opera writer --- you have a flair for the dramatic.

This is exactly it, Calling in, and being polite (as it isn't the rep on the other end of the phone who created the billing error) and it can usually be fixed up and explained by the rep, I for one can't wait for the new billing system, the old one needs to die fast and soon.

AJ102

Vancouver, BC
Reviews:
·TELUS

2 edits
Politeness and respect is certainly the best approach. Perhaps you'd like to explain then why Shaw's automated phone message goes directly to threatening to send the customer to Collections when the system incorrectly thinks a payment is only weeks overdue, and they are dealing with a customer who has paid their bills on time for years? Would it not be more reasonable to offer a polite reminder and suggest that the customer call xxx if they feel there is an error? Would it not be reasonable to apologize for a clumsy and defective billing system when a worried customer calls in to check their account status, rather than a casual dismissal? You have to give politeness and respect to get it.

And BTW, on the 2nd account Shaw incorrectly double-charged me for the modem + telephone equipment, and only removed one charge when the equipment was returned. They also failed to record the simultaneous return of the PVR properly, and ended up charging more for that. All easily fixed with a few more calls from me to follow up, but really quite incompetent on Shaw's part. The fact that they don't show any breakdown of the "unreturned equipment" charge on the bill doesn't help clear things up.

The E
Premium
Burnaby, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
said by AJ102:

Perhaps you'd like to explain then why Shaw's automated phone message goes directly to threatening to send the customer to Collections when the system incorrectly thinks a payment is only weeks overdue, and they are dealing with a customer who has paid their bills on time for years?

Would it not be reasonable to apologize for a clumsy and defective billing system when a worried customer calls in to check their account status, rather than a casual dismissal?

Yes, you're correct AJ102. The rep that handled your phonecall really should have put you at ease, and thoroughly explained the process at that time. It's a shame that didn't happen. Accept my unofficial apology!

Your characterization of the automated phone message is perhaps a tad over dramatic though. It would be great if the automated system was smart enough to figure out that you've been a long-time, great paying customer and that this is probably a mistake, and could then "tone-down" the message. Well, it isn't that advanced and if it was it wouldn't have dialed you in the first place.

It's merely a message to let you know that there's a billing issue and if you decide to ignore the message then there could be an impact to your credit history. Let's remember that not everyone is as proactive about taking care of their financial business as you and I.
--
"All opinions stated by me are solely my views and do not reflect the views of my employer, this site, or even myself depending on my level of sanity at the moment"

AJ102

Vancouver, BC
Reviews:
·TELUS
Let's say your neighbour parks his car slightly blocking your driveway, so you go over to ask him to move it. He's lived there for years and never done that before. Would you say "Hi neighbour, would you mind moving your car because it's blocking my driveway. And BTW if you don't I'll call the police and have it ticketed and towed. Have a nice day!" And BTW it turns out it's not his car, it actually belongs to someone visiting your house. No harm, no foul, right? What, you think your neighbour would be annoyed? So what makes you think that kind of behaviour is ok just because a big company where nobody takes personal responsibility does it?

The E
Premium
Burnaby, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
Again, the message has to be ominous enough to elicit action, but not too threatening. If it was fairies and pixie-dust, cheery and overly polite, 99% of people would likely ignore it. Those that legitimately did have billing errors/money outstanding would then be in a real pickle.

You're taking an automated message that was clearly a mistake for your situation very personally. I'm not sure why.

I hope you have a great day and a fantastic summer! Take care.
--

AJ102

Vancouver, BC
Reviews:
·TELUS

1 recommendation

I guess we just see this differently. On the one hand we all seem to agree that we should be polite and respectful in dealing with others, even when they are customer service staff for a large company, not only because it's more helpful but because it's better to be cheerful than nasty. On the other hand you seem to think it's ok for Shaw to drop the politeness and respect in dealing with customers just because it's an automated message (even more disrespectful in my opinion!). I would also question your contention that the message needs to be at all "ominous" to be effective. I'm only guessing, but I would guess that more than 90% of the time this first-follow-up message is being used in cases where Shaw has got it wrong, or there is a genuine misunderstanding about the billing, or the customer forgot or got distracted and just needs a gentle reminder. I understand that Accounts Receivable staff tend to get all harsh and cynical from dealing with the very small percentage of people who are deadbeats, but maybe somebody else should review the contacts with customers. And the last thing anyone from Shaw or any other company should do is discourage customers from speaking up when something isn't right. That's Customer Relations 101.