Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

7 Things You Should Know About Tor

»www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/07/7-···bout-tor from »boingboing.net/2014/07/02/seven-···w-a.html

"... But it appears that there are still some popular misconceptions about Tor. We would like to take this opportunity to dispel some of these common myths and misconceptions..."

Who here uses Tor? I do.
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

2 recommendations

said by antdude:

... Who here uses Tor? I do.

I have been known to use it at times. (A fact you already know, Bob ). But as with any security tool, keep it properly set, keep it updated, and use it sparingly.
--
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -- A. de Tocqueville

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch

2 recommendations

said by Blackbird:

I have been known to use it at times. (A fact you already know, Bob ).

Tor might slow Bob, aka the NSA, down a bit but I doubt it stops him
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Parad0X787
"If U know neither the enemy nor yoursel
Premium
join:2013-09-17
Edmonton, AB

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to antdude
Indeed, NSA & GCHQ targeted TOR user ....[ »www.theguardian.com/world/2013/o···cryption ]
BTW ....#7.Tor is Not Foolproof
It is also important to remember that if you log into services like Google and Facebook over Tor, those services will still be able to see your communications within their systems. .... & so can other too {{{ SMILE }}}

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18

3 recommendations

reply to antdude
...good general intro to Tor... my admitted level of experience is what I read on Wikipedia, that's about it.

Regards

Carr

join:2003-06-20
Mobile, AL

2 recommendations

I occasionally use Tor....BUT I use Tor from Tails. I travel here in Ecuador away from home and areas in the Amazon will have the internet cafe. I will not check my e mails from such a place without either my Tails USB stick or the CD-ROM and booting from that.

I also use a third party e mail service where the Enigmail/PGP plugin is useful for encrypting message bodies. As far as social media sites go this type of forum is about it for me. No Facebook/Twitter&c. Nothing to hide just old school values about keeping my business private.

Regards.

Rocky67
Pencil Neck Geek
Premium
join:2005-01-13
Orange, CA
reply to antdude
I used Tor a lot many years ago, mainly to learn as much about it as I could. I haven't used it a lot in the ensuing years since I don't need it much and I'm not sure how much I trust it now. My paranoia meter is in the red zone these days and I find myself on the horns of a dilemma - using Tor can increase my privacy and, at the same time, possibly decrease it by calling "Bob's" attention to myself. Learning about Tor was fun, back in the day, but where's the fun now? Living in a police state isn't a lot of laughs.
--
Panic is the new patriotism

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

said by Rocky67:

Living in a police state isn't a lot of laughs.

It can be if you're the "State". If not then not so much.
--

Millenium

join:2013-10-30
kudos:1

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to antdude
I've never used it.

Things are simple when you treat the internet as town hall and everyone present has a video recorder.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

2 recommendations

said by Millenium:

...and everyone present has a video recorder.

And you're naked
--

Carr

Mobile, AL
Interesting article today on RT.com
»rt.com/news/170208-nsa-spies-tor-users/

"But merely visiting Tor project’s website puts you on the NSA’s red list, the report says."

so I guess we are all screwed for even talking about it eh? I saw the Chaos Convention presentation that Applebaum did recently, was on Youtube and an interesting watch. Its hard to know how pervasive all of this with lists &c really is simply due to the massive amount of data Bob and his friends must get. I also read an earlier thread here

»Upcoming Snowden bombshell

where LinkLogger made some pretty interesting points about the state of things... question is what to believe in these days of smoke and mirrors.....

I use Tor and Tails for security on the road so I don't leave tracks on some internet cafe computer but other than that I don't have any reason to.....

Regards

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

said by Carr:

so I guess we are all screwed for even talking about it eh?

It wouldn't be the first time...

»Re: Homeland Security words to avoid
--

Carr

Mobile, AL
(unrolls foil for a new hat) so I admit using Tor and Tails...and encrypting email......hmmm wonder why that helicopter is so low--- oh look its coming this way.....

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to StuartMW
or anywhere near the last!!

this may be planted somewhere else......sorry if i missed it

»www.infowars.com/visiting-websit···remists/

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
Yep. Just minutes ago.

»NSA targets the privacy-conscious?
--

Anon1

@71.191.159.x

1 recommendation

reply to Carr
said by Carr:

I occasionally use Tor....BUT I use Tor from Tails. I travel here in Ecuador away from home and areas in the Amazon will have the internet cafe. I will not check my e mails from such a place without either my Tails USB stick or the CD-ROM and booting from that.

I also use a third party e mail service where the Enigmail/PGP plugin is useful for encrypting message bodies. As far as social media sites go this type of forum is about it for me. No Facebook/Twitter&c. Nothing to hide just old school values about keeping my business private.

Regards.

In regards to checking emails, etc. at an internet cafe. Wouldn't just using a regular proxy be more much faster and probably more secure? It seems that you have to worry about endnodes being unsecure and people sniffing packets there. With your own proxy, you don't have to worry about the end node being compromised.

Carr

Mobile, AL
Anton1

Had not thought about that- let me think about it before I comment....in any case thanks for the idea and a different approach to looking at it.....

As far as all things concerned- we, according to this article from the Register moments ago
»www.theregister.co.uk/2014/07/03···scandal/

are all SO screwed. What? No? Well at least Bobs buddies from a nameless guns for hire group will have to look for me in Quito.......damn, theres that helicopter again (reaches for the tinfoil)

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Carr
said by Carr:

Interesting article today on RT.com
»rt.com/news/170208-nsa-spies-tor-users/

"But merely visiting Tor project’s website puts you on the NSA’s red list, the report says."

so I guess we are all screwed for even talking about it eh? ...

Which is why everybody should get all their friends, family, and anybody else they can persuade to at least visit the Tor website, and perhaps even download the bundle whether they intend to use it or not. That's the only present answer to all the nonsense... drown the snoopers in white noise. Plus, it'll give Bob something to do, sifting through it all, on those long, boring Utah nights.
--
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -- A. de Tocqueville

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

2 recommendations

Danger Will Robinson, Danger!

[The NSA in the 60s's]
--

Carr

Mobile, AL
reply to Blackbird
said by Blackbird:

Which is why everybody should get all their friends, family, and anybody else they can persuade to at least visit the Tor website, and perhaps even download the bundle whether they intend to use it or not. That's the only present answer to all the nonsense... drown the snoopers in white noise. Plus, it'll give Bob something to do, sifting through it all, on those long, boring Utah nights.

I could not agree more ! Give Bob something to do . Another take is here

»www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-07-0···eted-nsa

I still question that given that Bob can actually copy lets just for the hell of it say...everything.....then what? How good are the algos they use to trawl through just what has to be a mountain of s*&^ every day? I absolutely think that " its not whether you are paranoid or not , its whether you're paranoid enough".......but I ve not read anywhere any comments about the search methodology or tools Bob uses after the data is captured.....

Regards

Carr

Mobile, AL

1 recommendation

Here is maybe the 8th thing you should know about TOR
»www.techdirt.com/articles/201407···ia.shtml

Trihexagonal

join:2004-08-29
US
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Midwest
said by Carr:

Here is maybe the 8th thing you should know about TOR

I've never used TOR, but let's make that 9 things:

quote:
The Tor Project is an independent, open-source anonymous software and browsing network that directs traffic through its free, worldwide, volunteer network to conceal users' locations and usage from surveillance.

According to an ARD report, the source code indicates that the German Tor servers are just two among a number of servers that have been targeted by the NSA for surveillance, under its XKeyscore program. The code cites a number of specific IP addresses of the Tor Directory Authority.

NSA targets Linux Journal as 'extremist forum'

Which in itself is worthy of its own thread, but already has one started in the All Things UNIX forum.

Carr

Mobile, AL
Trihexagonal

Good post. We live in interesting times.

Trihexagonal

join:2004-08-29
US
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Midwest
said by Carr:

We live in interesting times.

You do know that's a form of Chinese curse...

May you live in interesting times

Carr

Mobile, AL
Yep--I think it goes --its better to be a dog in quiet times than a human in interesting times.....lots of Hindus think this is Kali Yuga- I am prone to agree-

Ahhh you posted a link- thanks - Its true...

PeeWee
Premium
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA
reply to antdude
I wanted to check it out for myself but open dns won't let me as tor browser websites apparently use an outdated certificate??
--
Iphone. Helping computer illiteracy become popular since 2007

VivaStevia

@24.46.143.x
OpenDNS. Now there's a target-rich environment...