TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to chip89

MVM

to chip89

Re: AT&T bill goes up yet again - with NO NOTICE

said by chip89:

That is a LIE U-verse uses the same copper lines that DSL does!

From the SAI to the premises, yes; but from the SAI back to the network? Where is the fiber (the "F" in "FTTN")?

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup

said by NormanS:

said by chip89:

That is a LIE U-verse uses the same copper lines that DSL does!

From the SAI to the premises, yes; but from the SAI back to the network? Where is the fiber (the "F" in "FTTN")?

That's silly. They are not moving to U-Verse to "save" money on copper. In a lot if not most cases, the same amount of copper exists because those lines were served by a remote dslam where the vrad is now. If anything copper is cheaper, or else AT&T would be doing fios style fiber to the home. And at any rate what a CSR said on the phone does not in any way even approach official corporate strategy. They can barely get thing things they're SUPPOSED to know right, much less things they would have no business being involved in.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by mixdup:

They are not moving to U-Verse to "save" money on copper.

I am not saying that they are (saving money). That would be the sort of WAG a CSR would make.

OTOH, I can assure you that for every RT I have seen with an adjacent VRAD, I have seen two, or three, with nothing but an SAI box nearby.

AFAIK, bringing the fiber closer to the homes isn't about "saving money"; but who knows what the CSR was thinking.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

Don't they sometimes do pair-bonding for U-verse, to get the higher bandwidth? Then wouldn't that have the opposite effect whereby U-verse uses more copper?
public
join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA

public to NormanS

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

Many users have CO based service.
They are told by sales "ATT is having a lot of problems with old copper wires in your area. Therefore we will replace your DSL with Uverse DSL over copper wires" .
Fiber is randomly sprinkled in the conversation.