All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bitbug
join:2014-07-02

bitbug

[DSL] Zap the Cap - Problem

I have been a TekSavvy DSL user for over 3+ years now and was happy with their service until I open my June 2014 bill and saw that they charged me $25 for going over my monthly download limit even though I had enable the "Zap the Cap" feature enabled during the month of June. I called TekSavvy today, July 2nd at around 4:50pm, and spoke with someone in billing for an explanation to the overage charge. The girl explained that the "Zap the Cap" feature had to be enable at the first of the month. WTF!!!

When I registered to create my web portal with TSI, I did not see any mention of this "Zap the Cap" feature had to be enable at the first of the month. The only information from my web portal about "Zap the Cap" feature was found in the pop-up bubble beside the "Zap the Cap" feature you click to enable that feature.
Here is what the information in "Zap the Cap" feature bubble:
"We are now offering a BETA version of the new “Zap the Cap” option.

When this option is enabled your download speed 6Mbps is lowered to 3Mbps between the hours of 8:00pm to 12:00am

In exchange for this small reduction in speed for 4 hours a day, you will have access to unlimited downloads (uploads are already free) when this option is enabled."

No where does it say it had to be enabled at the first of the month in the "Zap the Cap" feature bubble or on any of the support web pages on my web portal.

When I pointed out that issue to the girl I spoke with about the missing requirement about enabling at the first of the month, she directed me to the company website and after click through 4 support web pages was she able to point to me a FAQ web page about that “Zap the Cap” requirement.

Geez, why could TSI not add that one additional line in that "Zap the Cap" feature bubble indicating that this feature had to be enabled at the first of the month to avoid any overage charge?

Hmmm...maybe it was intentional by TSI so that the can collect overage charges from their currently user base!!

I switched from Bell because of those same tactics they used on their user base by deliberately charging their users for going over their limit.

I would like to continue being a TSI customer, but as of now this overage charge and the missing “Zap the Cap” requirement from the “Zap the Cap” feature bubble in my web portal is a THORN IN MY BUTT!!!

Marc or any other TSI people reading this post do you care enough to address this issue and make things right with me?

unhappy TSI user
Sunfox
join:2003-12-14
Stouffville

Sunfox

So... when did you actually enable it? There's a log you can view.

Plus, I'm pretty sure that TSI has stated that now if you try to enable it outside of the required window, it will be queued for next month.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to bitbug

MVM

to bitbug
bitbug isn't saying that it was enabled on the first of the month, the complaint is that the ZTC page doesn't make it clear that ZTC has to be enabled the whole month to count...
Sunfox
join:2003-12-14
Stouffville

Sunfox

Agreed, and if you've been reading my posts you'll see that I've been complaining a lot about the poorly explained and overly complex nature of Zap the Cap.

But...

If you enabled it, say, within the first few days of the month, I would expect some kind of reprieve. However if you realized you were going to go over your limit and enabled it on, say, the 25th of the month, there HAS to be some little bell going off in your head saying "if all I had to do is enable ZTC on the last day of the month to get out of my entire overage bill... then why would anyone enable it on the first of the month?"

His degree of outrage over not being compensated would be either explained or dismissed by how logical and reasonable his belief that he should be entitled to unlimited bandwidth for the entire month really is.

Also...

As far as TSI has said, you can no longer enable ZTC whereby you suffer the effects and do not get your benefit - it's merely queued for next month. Not having done this, I don't know if there is some clear statement in the portal that it has actually been queued for next month. Also if it's true that it does not take effect, one might wonder if he noticed the lack of prime time throttling.

Now if it did take effect and he did not receive the benefit, then there's an issue. And if he enabled it close to the beginning of the month, then I would expect them to "make things right". And yes, I do agree that it is poorly explained. But without full disclosure, it's hard to sympathize and support his degree of outrage.
bbiab
join:2004-05-26

bbiab to bitbug

to bitbug
said by bitbug:

I switched from Bell because of those same tactics they used on their user base by deliberately charging their users for going over their limit.

I would like to continue being a TSI customer, but as of now this overage charge and the missing “Zap the Cap” requirement from the “Zap the Cap” feature bubble in my web portal is a THORN IN MY BUTT!!!

Marc or any other TSI people reading this post do you care enough to address this issue and make things right with me?

unhappy TSI user

Have you left it enabled for July, now that you know?

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009 to bitbug

to bitbug
It's explained in detail here: »help.teksavvy.com/hc/en- ··· -the-Cap

oceros37
join:2013-07-20
St Thomas, ON

oceros37 to Sunfox

to Sunfox
said by Sunfox:

His degree of outrage

Like Sunfox said. It all hinges on what day zap was turned on. Could be legit problem. Could be Captain Hindsight trying to find a loophole to not pay the overage charge.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by oceros37:

Like Sunfox said. It all hinges on what day zap was turned on. Could be legit problem. Could be Captain Hindsight trying to find a loophole to not pay the overage charge.

I think bitbug makes it clear enough that his outrage is with the ZTC requirement to be enabled before peak hours on the first day of the months is not clearly indicated in the ZTC description in the portal page that controls the option nor the help bubble associated with it.

I have not bothered re-creating my portal account so I have no idea what the page looks like but I am guessing it is either missing a well-placed direct link to the ZTC FAQ or the text around the option seems complete enough that people might ignore the link. Either add the missing critical information directly in the portal page or remove most of it in favor of a more prominent link to the FAQ... or put the whole ZTC FAQ in the bubble.

TSI Ashleigh
Premium Member
join:2013-02-24
Chatham, ON

TSI Ashleigh to bitbug

Premium Member

to bitbug
Hello Bitbug,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I would be happy to look into this for you. Can you please post in the Direct Forum with your account information?

Regards,
Ashleigh

oceros37
St Thomas, ON

oceros37 to InvalidError

to InvalidError
For sure, an extra sentence before you actually turn it on could alleviate the confusion.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
TP-Link Archer C7
Technicolor DCM476
Grandstream HT701

Mike2009 to bitbug

to bitbug
It's even bolded on the Teksavvy website.

To qualify for unlimited usage you must have Zap the Cap enabled for EVERY peak period (8pm - 12am) of the month you wish to receive unlimited usage for.

This means ZtC would need to be turned on before 8pm on the 1st of the month and remain turned on until the last day of the calendar month.

If you are concerned about your usage and have missed the Zap the Cap boat for this month, contact us and inquire about a retroactive package change.

oceros37
St Thomas, ON

oceros37

said by Mike2009:

It's even bolded on the Teksavvy website.

Websites get updated. Bitbug might have been looking at it before some of the wording was updated/improved.
redeye95
join:2014-01-22
Mississauga, ON

redeye95 to bitbug

to bitbug
i feel your pain, but in all fairness, Teksavvy instituted this month long policy to prevent the "scam" of someone going up to their cap, and then activating the zap-the-cap.

but have no fear...I'm sure Teksavvy will waive the 25 dollar overage fee once... good customer service and all that...

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

said by redeye95:

i feel your pain, but in all fairness, Teksavvy instituted this month long policy to prevent the "scam" of someone going up to their cap, and then activating the zap-the-cap.

but have no fear...I'm sure Teksavvy will waive the 25 dollar overage fee once... good customer service and all that...

with usage tracking available on the fly it's pretty easy to do a quick check to see if a user has gone over his cap or a certain amount before enabling it.
bitbug
join:2014-07-02

bitbug

Folks, thanks to everyone who took the time to post a reply, but Guspaz and others with similar comments were right on the mark!!

I brought my issue to Teksavvy Direct and one of the Tech their understood my concern and provided to me a credit

Case close...cheers