how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Robert B

join:2014-07-03
Woodland, CA

Horrible Upload Speeds

So I got Wavebroadband's Power User 110 (110 Mbps downstream / 10 Mbps upstream) installed at my house. For the first week or so I was getting perfect download speed but under 1mb upload speeds. I call in to get a tech to come out and it magically fixes itself before he makes it to my house. The connection starts running good for about a week then magically drops down to crap again. I've had countless techs come out to try and fix the issue, the most recent one actually replace the entire line from the pole to my modem. The issue is still there. Even when my upload is bad my connection is always showing where it's supposed to be at on speedtest.net.

On testmy.net however it's showing more how it feels.
»testmy.net/memberstats?type=comp···stType=U
I cleared my log when it started running normal but it goes from June 8th (working fine) to June 17th (working horrible)
They say their connection is testing fine. So what could possibly be the issue?
I also have at&t installed at my house and when I switch to their internet I have no upload issues.

Also they have already tried a test modem and that didn't fix it either.

Robert B

Woodland, CA
Some additional information to help troubleshoot.
I'm using a SB6141 (White)
Modem Signals:
»imgur.com/jJiXGQR

bmccoy

join:2013-03-18
Port Orchard, WA
reply to Robert B
It definitely seems like your node is congested, considering that your signals look great and there aren't many uncorrectable errors. Have you done any speed tests in the early morning hours?

Robert B

Woodland, CA
Yeah, but it's the same throughout the whole day not just at certain points of the day. Thanks for the reply btw.

flwpwr

@24.113.109.x
not familiar with testmy.net, can you hit speedtest.net and make sure its saying you are in an area near where you and post what it says your speeds are?

Robert B

Woodland, CA
Speed test always reads where the speeds are supposed to be but my uploads are never close to that.
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3606633694

flwpwr

@24.113.109.x

2 recommendations

Well there is more than one part to uploading data, there is the limit of the receiving end, the location of the receiving server, etc..

Just becasue you can upload at 5Mb/s does not mean they can receive it that fast or that the servers location has a pipe that big the whole way to it. If you speed test to NY city you can expect your speed to drastically drop, your still getting your speed from wave, but the rest of the internet is not set up for you to use it that way.

That is not wave's fault in that case, if your getting your upload speed at local servers to you on speed test, then you're good as far as their service goes. they only sell you service on their network to the gateway to the internet, after that its not their property and they really have no control over it. They can mention problems like a router is losing packets, but if its under normal operation, its how it is for that path.

Robert B

Woodland, CA
I understand how upload works. But why at&t 6 up speed easily uploading at 3.5 but my wave service cant hold a stable 1up? Same servers nothing is different.

chpalmer

join:2002-11-18
Belfair, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·OlyPen, Inc.
·VOIPO
·Wave Broadband
reply to Robert B
You haven't mentioned what your trying to upload.

My business connection easily maxes out its 10mbps limit.

It looks like your using residential service. You can bet as time goes on that carriers will figure out how to punish their customers for trying to run torrents or servers on non business lines. My bet is that Wave is already doing that. It is against TOS to run servers of any kind behind a residential connection.

Other issues could be your router not being able to handle the load. You can test this by direct connection of a server to the cable modem.

Robert B

Woodland, CA
Thanks for the response chpalmer.
I use my upload to broadcast gameplay to my friends through twitch.tv. When I'm uploading through my 6up at&t connection I get no dropped frames and a solid 3500 bitrate upload. When I'm connected through my Wavebroadband I get over 50-60% dropped frames on a 1000 bitrate upload. The thing that really throws me off is when I initially got the service i had this problem, then about a week into it fixed itself before my scheduled tech got to my house. Then another week after the problem came back and never fixed itself. I use Open Broadcast Software and I've tried connection to multiple server through wave all with the same problem.

Robert B

Woodland, CA
Also I forgot to mention I'm hardwired into the modem, I've already bypassed my router and switch to cut that out of the possibilities, I've changed out my modem and my Ethernet cables already as well.

bmccoy

Port Orchard, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Wave Broadband

2 edits
reply to chpalmer
I've downloaded all sorts of torrents (just Linux ISOs ), and Wave hasn't throttled any of them. Wave has very good peering and I've never had any problems with slow upload speeds (I get 4.5Mbps to testmy.net). Now, since you live in Woodland, CA, the peering is probably a bit different and the upload connection to testmy.net could be a little congested. Could you run a few traceroute to servers that you're having trouble uploading to and post them here?

Robert B

Woodland, CA

1 edit
edited removed IP

Robert B

Woodland, CA

1 edit
edited removed IP

Robert B

Woodland, CA
Well today the speeds are running where they are supposed to be at. Nothing changed on my end:

»testmy.net/8ENPS4f.png

Hopefully they fixed the issue. They've been trying to figure it out for over a month now. Will update in a week or so on my status.

Robert B

Woodland, CA
whelp... already spiking down again. This time i'm only dropping to like 3.5 upload compared to like 500kbs.

bmccoy

Port Orchard, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Wave Broadband
My upload test on testmy.net sometimes also drops to about 3.5Mbps, so it's most likely a congested peering point which should resolve itself eventually. You can tweet to @CondoInternet on Twitter and they may be able to help you out (they're owned by Wave).

Robert B

Woodland, CA
Thanks for the reply. What exactly should I tweet them?
Also my friend asked me to run a utility called ShaperProbe. Not really sure how to interpret it. What do you get from this?
»imgur.com/C5XbN9N

bmccoy

Port Orchard, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Wave Broadband
Tell @CondoInternet "I'm using Wave and my upload speeds to testmy.net and twitch.tv are around 3.5Mbps when I'm paying for 10Mbps upload. Could you help me out?"

ShaperProbe would also be another good way to check your upload speed and detect traffic shaping, you can get it here and post a screenshot of your results. Wave does appear to shape its upstream traffic, so don't be alarmed if traffic shaping is detected on the upstream test.

Robert B

Woodland, CA
ShaperProbe Results: »imgur.com/C5XbN9N

bmccoy

Port Orchard, WA
Your upload speed is 11Mbps (almost 12) according to Shaperprobe, so no problems there.

Robert B

Woodland, CA
@CondoInternet hasn't responded to me.
Still getting unstable upload connections as well. It will start off high at like 10Mbps then drop to below 1Mbps. Really spiky.

bmccoy

Port Orchard, WA
I just replied to your tweet with some Wave employees tagged, hopefully they'll respond.

Robert B

Woodland, CA
Thanks Bmccoy

Robert B

Woodland, CA
Still no official word on if anything is being fixed, but for the past 24hours my upload has been stable. Not sure if it's fixed or if I'm just lucky for now. My bill is coming up and I'm kinda iffy if I want to keep the service atm. Thinking about sticking with AT&T.

Marvin T

@192.55.54.x

1 recommendation

Any updates on your problem? I'm having similar issues but with my downstream in West Sac.

Robert B

Woodland, CA
No marvin. It's a on and off issue at this point. I'm just letting this month run it's course and not renewing my service.

Download speed is usually a little easier to fix though, did they come to your house and check your signals and lines though?

Marvin T

@134.134.137.x
Yep, they said my signal coming from the tap was too high and had someone come out to tune it, but it didn't fix the issue. The last technician mentioned that its the their network's fault and speeds are always at its worst from 9pm-11pm.

zhazell

@76.14.131.x
Hello,

I have wave broadband as well and have the same exact issue. I'm using the SB6121 and get maxed out at 3.5Mbps up even though I'm paying for the 55Mbps down 5Mbps up. Download seems to be fine. I had the "head end" technician come out to my house to trouble shoot but was unable to detect the problem. I used to get 5Mbps up when I first switched over to the 55Mbps package back in February. I wish they would fix this.

Robert B

Woodland, CA
Just curious Zhazell what does speedtest.net read for you?