spc
uniqs

Dsm1995
join:2010-04-14
San Diego, CA

Dsm1995 to rgs_rx

to rgs_rx

Re: [AZ] Speed Increase July Rollout Date for Preferred/Premier

Im on perfered 25/5 with a docis 2 modem, have no issues at all with speeed...
so lets say this is tru and the tiers do get bumped to what you are saying... does that mean i will be forced to get a new modem for perfered tier ? if so that sucks. im quite happy with 25/5 tier.. and if I understood correct the 25/5 tier will go away if rumor is correct

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

said by Dsm1995:

does that mean i will be forced to get a new modem for perfered tier ?

If you want higher then 24-26Mbps then you will need a DOCSIS 3.0 modem.
m8trix
join:2003-12-24
Chandler, AZ

m8trix to Dsm1995

to Dsm1995
you might as well upgrade to a docsis 3 modem as the old D2 modems are being phased out and why pay the same as everyone else and get half the speed

Dsm1995
join:2010-04-14
San Diego, CA

Dsm1995

im happy with 25/5 tier for my devices and don't need or want the extra bandwith. if that happens, ill drop to a lower tier...

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to Hard Harry7

Premium Member

to Hard Harry7
and you'll have to call in and get your service code changed to D3.

CoxVegas
join:2011-07-25
Las Vegas, NV

CoxVegas

said by dvd536:

and you'll have to call in and get your service code changed to D3.

This process (D2 to D3 code change) does happen automatically whenever we do upgrades night-of, and then checks every few nights thereafter. Just some times that's not fast enough, or occasionally due to weird interactions with promotions and such things get missed. We are working to improve that process.

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

Its interesting you bring this up. Why not make the default code be for D3 modems and the "special" code be for D2 modems. Then the worst thing that happens is a D2 modem with a QOS that is faster then it's technical ability. You wouldn't even need to change the service code, just what provisioning the services code equates to.

CoxVegas
join:2011-07-25
Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

CoxVegas

said by Hard Harry7:

Its interesting you bring this up. Why not make the default code be for D3 modems and the "special" code be for D2 modems. Then the worst thing that happens is a D2 modem with a QOS that is faster then it's technical ability. You wouldn't even need to change the service code, just what provisioning the services code equates to.

The question about why reprov D3s instead of the other way was a good one. I stuck my head into the dark, locked closet we keep the provisioning troll in, and have been told that for future work we will be doing exactly this (re-provisioning D2s instead of D3s).

However, the reason for avoiding D2s having the full speed is because they will completely saturate their single channel trying to get to those rates, causing pretty bad service hits to other D2s on that channel.
m8trix
join:2003-12-24
Chandler, AZ

m8trix to Dsm1995

to Dsm1995
its only a matter of time before you will have to even on the slower tier, docsis 3 has been out for 5 years now and eventually they wont allow docsis 2 on their network just like when they migrated from docsis 1 and 1.1 to docsis 2. also keep in mind that the benefits of docsis 3 is not just the higher speeds but it gets you more consistent speeds as it can lock onto multiple channels and allow cox to manage their network better.
sparky007
join:2011-08-25
Phoenix, AZ

sparky007 to Hard Harry7

to Hard Harry7
My parents have a old Docsis 2.0 Modem.. There hitting 30 Mbps when there suppost to hit 25..

42.88 (38) Mbit/s download for Docsis 2.0

Per... »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

The big problem is congestion

Termites
@80.187.97.x

Termites

Anon

said by OpTiC :

The big problem is congestion

Translation:
Cox is over selling their markets without upgrading their infrastructure . ;)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would gladly pay Google fiber a $10,000 connection fee to tap on their infrastructure, cox sucks can't wait for the day that Google buys up the Middle Georgia Market.