share rss forum feed

RUQRU
Premium
join:2005-07-30
Florida

[TV] Really? $14 a Month for TMC!

Click for full size
BHN 06-26-2014
OK, I know costs are going up. But now BHN is reducing my service without any price decrease.

Is this going to be the way BHN does business now? It is like reducing the size of candy bars while keeping the same price. Did you think we would not notice?

Why not GIVE is EPIX as no cost replacement?

jdohe3

join:2010-08-11
Seminole, FL

The problem with movie channels is that there are so few good movies made anymore. No matter how much is spent on a movie, and how new it is.. there just aren't good movies to broadcast on the movie channels. By the way, Brighthouse is currently providing a couple of months free preview of three premium Epix movie channels. Those channels seem to have a mix of old and new movies, all of which are pretty good. They seem to be going for quality instead of how new they are. And of course.. no commercials.

cruisencode

join:2000-09-16
Ocoee, FL
reply to RUQRU

I just got the same letter and responded the same way.

This is getting ridiculous! First it was the cable modem fee that they added, and then kept raising the price for. Then it was the digital transition, where I lost cable on my TVs that didn't have boxes. In less than a year I'll have to start paying for those "free" adapters that they gave me. Now they take away TMC and tell me it'll be $14 a month to keep it. I'm sure the DAs will increase in price the first year as well.

This BS is really making me consider dropping cable.

RUQRU
Premium
Florida

I just called the sales number to get some additional information. I am not sure this helps with our disgust over ever increasing prices.

It appears TMC is now a separate company from SHO. So the price of SHO remains the same and you have to pay the price if you want the now independent TMC.

I suspect this is factually true, but just another mechanism to "monetize" their assets.

I will not be buying TMC because I rarely every find any movies on their channels worth watching.

I "may" do EPIX, but today I am not feeling the love...;-(

geo44

join:2013-03-20
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by RUQRU:

I will not be buying TMC because I rarely every find any movies on their channels worth watching.

I remember having TMC like 20 years ago , it was garbage back then.

RUQRU
Premium
Florida

True dat!

WinstonFl

join:2003-11-01
Deltona, FL

1 recommendation

reply to geo44

$14.00 is an absolute rip off for the movie channel. You're only getting 2 channels....

ispalten

join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL
reply to RUQRU

I got the letter today. Yesterday we got a letter that the premium movie package we had a 'promo' on was expiring and it was going up $9/mo.

Like Gary always tells people, call in and see if there is a better deal. Wife did, but no deals for us. Clerk found one but then said it would cost us more? We're not on an promo but a promo would cost us more? How could that be? I suspect the problem is our Home Owner's Assoc. provides in our due Basic Cable and a box and guide. Either the clerk looked at the promo price and didn't subtract that 'value' from the promo or the promo doesn't allow it?

Now comes another price increase with this letter (which we will drop). What is next?
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:147

1 edit
reply to RUQRU

Ooops...wrong one..

telijah
Premium
join:2013-04-22
Saint Petersburg, FL

?? RSN Fee != TMC Fee lol

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:147
reply to RUQRU

oops

gigahurtz
Premium
join:2001-10-20
Palm Coast, FL

1 recommendation

reply to RUQRU

With so many options like Netflix, Amazon Prime Streaming Video and On Demand.. I really can't understand paying for these premium channels anymore.

cruisencode

join:2000-09-16
Ocoee, FL

It's getting harder and harder to justify it. Unfortunately, there are a couple of shows that we watch on HBO and SHO. We don't really subscribe for the movies these days.

allowiches

join:2012-04-01
Palm Coast, FL

I got that letter yesterday. I don't see this as a $14 price increase, I see it as a less services for your money.

I wonder if there is some new management that has come into power lately. I don't ever remember so many increases in such a short time as what is happening now.

k84

join:2010-08-10
Orlando, FL

1 edit
reply to RUQRU

I got that letter yesterday too and just laughed. TMC is not worth $14. As if TV isn't overpriced already. Nice try Bright House.

If it were up to me I wouldn't pay for TV but it's not my call. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and the rest are more than good enough.

I love cable internet... most reliable and fastest internet available for a "good" price. But cable TV is just a rip off.

Edit: Awesome. Just got approval from the boss (aka wife) to cancel TMC in September (if it doesn't auto-cancel). TMC lose.

allowiches

Palm Coast, FL

Boss (wife) said the same thing too when I read her the letter. We get SHO for the shows not the movies.

I don't know if TMC was bundled with SHO on other systems, but if it was and they are also separating it out I would imagine this as the end of TMC.

Aprel

join:2013-09-14
kudos:2
reply to RUQRU

To be clear, the letter states that you must act to continue to receive TMC when it becomes separate in September. If you do nothing, you won't be charged extra and TMC will go away quietly. Good because the reverse would be BAD!

Tiapelo

@72.239.54.x
reply to RUQRU

I was stunned to receive the notice that the Movie Channel will cost an EXTRA $14 a month!!!! For a second I seriously thought it must be a typo. This is getting ridiculous!!! Netflix doesn't even cost that for a month. I wonder how many people will leave cable before someone pays attention to the consumer. It is unbelievable that paying for cable costs about as much as a used car payment!!!

Flashfox
Eco-Text -- Why print E-mails?

join:2003-10-01
Melbourne, FL
reply to RUQRU

Hmm... per Showtime and TMC's websites, there is no info relating to a split-up. Seems like TMC is still owned by Showtime so unless I missed something, this is just a way for CBS (the owner) to try to make more money. This doesn't affect me as I do NOT subscribe to premium movie channels. I have all I need through Netflix and HULU+. On the other hand I do pay for tons of never watched sports channels just because The Wife™ loves The Tennis Channel

drivetheory

join:2006-05-06
Palm Bay, FL
reply to RUQRU

Shocker: Cable TV prices went up four times the rate of inflation
»arstechnica.com/business/2014/05···flation/

Ex-cable and wireless lobbyist confirmed as FCC chairman
»arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013···hairman/

It's only going to continue to get WORSE.
Posting on forums to complain is POINTLESS.
You really want change? VOTE with your WALLET or your BALLOT.

RUQRU
Premium
Florida
reply to Flashfox

said by Flashfox:

...this is just a way for CBS (the owner) to try to make more money. ...

Really? Who would pay for the junk on TMC? I tried to remember the last time I even watched a movie on that channel. The EPIX deal for $5/mo is far better value...at least they have recent movies on that channel.

weaseled386

join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse

said by RUQRU:

said by Flashfox:

...this is just a way for CBS (the owner) to try to make more money. ...

Really? Who would pay for the junk on TMC? I tried to remember the last time I even watched a movie on that channel. The EPIX deal for $5/mo is far better value...at least they have recent movies on that channel.

This is how my thought process has always been on TMC:
"Yes, cable company... I'd like to add Showtime."
"That will be $, check channel 123."
"Great, got it! Thanks!"

Then a month later:
"Oh, I get TMC too... Bonus, I guess...."

Pixiloxx

join:2013-08-15
Melbourne, FL

That was always mine too. I guess from now on I will have to ask for specifics when I add premiums.

allowiches

Palm Coast, FL
reply to RUQRU

I went to the BHN site to find premium prices, but couldn't find them. Does anyone know where they are hiding? It would be nice if the site had an add / remove services section that showed your price changes as you changed. AT&T cellular has that feature and it is great.

gigahurtz
Premium
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

said by allowiches:

I went to the BHN site to find premium prices, but couldn't find them. Does anyone know where they are hiding? It would be nice if the site had an add / remove services section that showed your price changes as you changed. AT&T cellular has that feature and it is great.

Unfortunately, I've never been able to find this. It seems within the last year (or so) they've added the ability for new customers to somewhat customize their package but I don't see anything along those lines.

Pixiloxx

join:2013-08-15
Melbourne, FL
reply to allowiches

From the 2014 price guide (got it as a bill insert in March):

HBO: $19
Showtime: $17
The Movie Channel: $14
Cinemax: $17
Starz: $17

allowiches

Palm Coast, FL

Thanks. Too bad it doesn't add up. I must have a package. I guess I have to call.

Ugh

mixdup

join:2003-06-28
Calera, AL
reply to RUQRU

Did this change happen on Time Warner Cable, too? I wonder if it's a contractual change or if BHN is simply repackaging on their end.

gigahurtz
Premium
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

said by mixdup:

Did this change happen on Time Warner Cable, too? I wonder if it's a contractual change or if BHN is simply repackaging on their end.

It looks like that's what happened based on the information here: »www.timewarnercable.com/en/tv/pr···ums.html

Aprel

join:2013-09-14
kudos:2
reply to allowiches

said by allowiches:

Thanks. Too bad it doesn't add up. I must have a package. I guess I have to call.

I believe if you subscribe to more than one of the premiums, you get a slight discount. That might be the cause of the fuzzy math?