how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09

Hacked Router

A friend of mine utilizes Verizon Wireless Broadband and got a whopping bill (a weekly paycheck's worth) this month indicating that he downloaded a vast sum more than his cap. He had not changed his downloading habits in the last month. The assumption is that one of the neighbors was able to connect to his router and download movies and the like en masse. There is a probable suspect based on fitting a certain profile. However, he would never accuse this individual of being guilty without having evidence first. Is there a way to review what websites were viewed through one's router? If this person is visiting certain facebook websites and the like, it would make it pretty easy to narrow down who the guilty one is.
--
isheavenforreal.com

Alky

join:2001-08-12
Cleveland, OH

Check your router logs

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09
reply to biochemistry

Well I could probably figure that out if it was at my house. However my friend lives several states away. What is the IP address to the Verizon wireless modems? And once you login, is there a log tab?
--
isheavenforreal.com

tdumaine
Premium
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

the ip address can be located via the wired or wireless adapter properties. The default gateway will be the routers ip. They will need the username and password. You wont know this without knowing the make and model of the router. Once that is figured out, don't look for logs, look for connected devices and verify all devices are theirs.

If the wireless is WPA encrypted, i doubt the neighbor would be able to get on unless told the password. Does your friend have kids? Kids with friends?