TechyDad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

TechyDad to 78036364

Premium Member

to 78036364

Re: Make the content available at reasonable prices

And those people would never be customers so the movie industry shouldn't worry about them. You'll never completely eliminate piracy, but making your content available at a reasonable price will help to drop piracy rates.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

Making your content more affordable will reduce piracy, but it also reduces your revenue per sale. Is it worth it in the end? That's up for debate.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by silbaco:

Making your content more affordable will reduce piracy, but it also reduces your revenue per sale.

Oh boo-hoo. Changes in the economy and demographics also reduce revenue. I have spent less on Hollywood crap in the last decade than in the previous decade; not because I pirated (which I did), but because I had the choice of spending my limited money on either Britney Spears or Shiina Hekiru: Shiina-san wins.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to silbaco

Premium Member

to silbaco
look at the cost of a disc. maybe a nickel at most. then maybe another 25 cents for packing, mastering.
making a blu ray less than a few dollars but insane markup.
if you make it for $1.50 and charge $4.00 theres your revenue!
the movie stays on screens til its made its money back, after that its gravy
ok maybe not for dogs like gigli that only made 500k rofl.
dvd536

dvd536 to TechyDad

Premium Member

to TechyDad
just like warez, people who dl warez were never going to buy anyway so that was never a lost sale.

TechyDad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

TechyDad to silbaco

Premium Member

to silbaco
That's where content owners need to make a calculation. If making content more affordable and available reduces piracy and increases sales, they might make less per item but make more overall. However, there comes a point of diminishing returns. Pricing DRM-free digital movies at a dime each wouldn't result in massive profits and lowering the price to a penny would only lower profits.

Still, there's plenty of room between the studios who would like to lock content onto discs and force customers to pay through the nose for limited access to them and some who would call for all content to be free.
TechyDad

TechyDad to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
I've found that I'm spending less time watching TV shows and movies also. I still consume that form of media, but some of my previous "watch TV" time is taken up with "play apps on my smartphone", "read websites", or "participate in social media." This isn't even counting "go to an actual, physical place and do something fun with my family." Many of these activities are also free which means that I have more money left over in the end than I would have had I just sat on my couch consuming more TV shows and movies.