join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ

Re: [TV] New TV shows..........opinion

Indeed we do.

Forever is okay but it's nothing great, in fact, it's fairly derivative (and at least I bothered to watch it before stating an opinion )

In reviewing this list: »www.tvguide.com/special/ ··· ows.aspx I realize there just isn't all that much that interests me in the "new fall lineup" category.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Tea Leoni is a terrible actress,about just as bad as her soon to be ex...........I refuse to watch anything either do.

There really isn't any show that stands out this Fall..........and why they insist on doing remakes of British shows that were brutal in the 1st place is beyond me.

Based on the British series Broadchurch..........Gracepoint even has the same boring lead actor.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

Loved Broadchurch, looking forward to Gracepoint!
\
said by ZZZZZZZ:

Tea Leoni is a terrible actress,about just as bad as her soon to be ex...........I refuse to watch anything either do.

I don't recall seeing her in anything else offhand, have no idea who her soon-to-be ex is, but she's quite good in Madam Secretary -- one friend felt similar to you (but perhaps not as passionately ) and it's must watch show for her now. Maybe she just needed the right part.

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
said by ZZZZZZZ:

Based on the British series Broadchurch..........Gracepoint even has the same boring lead actor.

One TV critic pejoratively called it a "karaoke" remake.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

That's pretty funny actually!

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
Gracepoint will be ruined, Americans tend to ruin almost everything they copy. Just look at the great story Life on Mars was, and the it got pulled (though technically it wasn't renewed)

Looks like the Brits have commisoned a 2nd series of Broadchurch for 2015.

»www.dailymail.co.uk/tvsh ··· ens.html

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

On the other hand, The Bridge is the exception that proves the rule? That has been very well-handled.
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

intok (banned) to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
Hated all of it.

SixOfNine
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

1 recommendation

SixOfNine to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
The same TV column that crapped on Gracepoint has good things to say about Happy Valley, a six-episode Netflix series.

Excerpt:

Another day, another dollar, another well-built crime drama full of agonizing violence. This time, it’s “Happy Valley,” the latest offering from Netflix, which stars Sarah Lancashire as Catherine Cawood, a police sergeant in rural England. Does the show pass the “worth the pain” test? It does, owing in part to the topnotch performance of Lancashire, who, with her soup-bowl eyes and blond bangs, resembles the pop star Adele—if Adele were a detective, a grandmother, and a dedicated agent of vengeance.

At six episodes, “Happy Valley” is satisfyingly compressed: as boring as it is to compare TV to novels, it’s hard to miss the parallels here, since the show is the analogue of a tasty crime thriller, the sort that one might buy in order to kill time on a long flight, only to find that its psychological grip lingers longer than expected...

“Happy Valley” honors the Miss Marple-esque truism that peaceful countrysides are anything but. Neighbors know one another, but that doesn’t make things cozy; it just means that, when a cop catches a junkie, she’s seen him grow up. In this economically depressed setting, Cawood is bringing up Ryan, the child of her daughter, whose sudden, violent death, and its aftermath, wrecked Cawood’s marriage. The grandchild’s father is in prison, having committed awful crimes, and when he’s released Cawood becomes possessed by fantasies of “marking his card.” Her sister begs her to deal with her hatred in a rational way. “I’ve no intention of dealing with it rationally,” she replies. “My intention is to deal with it effectively.”

Jehu
Premium Member
join:2002-09-13
MA

Jehu to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
I have hope for Gotham since the second episode. I could not stand watching Forever. I like the Leftovers a lot.

The real stand out new show for me is The Knick. It is really great.

-- oh and I don't know why but I keep watching Outlander. I realize it's a bodice ripper but it's somehow making me watch it. bizarre

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

1 recommendation

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by Jehu:

I realize it's a bodice ripper but it's somehow making me watch it. bizarre

Probably because it's not truly a "bodice ripper" just hints at being one.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to Jehu

to Jehu
said by Jehu:

I have hope for Gotham since the second episode. I could not stand watching Forever. I like the Leftovers a lot.

Gotham is at times interesting and yet so damn frustrating. The actor playing Oswald Cobblepot is chewing up scenery with an abandon not seen since William Shanter in ST:TOS but he isn't as interesting to watch (He comes across s a whiny little brat TBH)

Meanwhile the actress doing Selina Kyle has been doing an entertaining job with the role she's been given... I'm wondering if at some point she tries to meet up with Bruce Wayne to talk to him (probably looking to bargain for something though)

Forever is at least so far not overusing the "OMG He CAn Kill Himself And Be Resurrected" gimmick too much (heck, in the latest ep. he stayed alive the entire time)

Haven't yet watched the second ep on "How To Get Away With Murder" but the premiere has it dangerously close to my drop list already so we'll see how that goes.

NefCanuck

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

said by NefCanuck:

Meanwhile the actress doing Selina Kyle has been doing an entertaining job with the role she's been given...

That's Jada Pinkett Smith.

Jehu
Premium Member
join:2002-09-13
MA

Jehu

Premium Member

said by Alpha Phoenix:

hat's Jada Pinkett Smith

no she's the red fish or whatever. The young girl is Selena aka cat woman

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

Ah yeah. Thanks. My bad.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
I am bigtime enjoying "Gotham" even though I have not been interested in that genre before.

Excellent production....

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to TwiztedZero

Premium Member

to TwiztedZero
Just started watching it last night.. oh it's going to be good, the 'tension' (can't think of a better word right now) between Bohannan and the Swede is just to good to describe.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

Tole ya Hell on Wheels is kick ass

Anson Mount does Cullen really well.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by TwiztedZero:

Anson Mount does Cullen really well.

I'm a faithful watcher.. but in the how Cullen tricks the Swede is brilliant.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008 to TwiztedZero

Premium Member

to TwiztedZero
said by TwiztedZero:

Yeah, that last episode was one of the best I've seen in a while.
Aarond
join:2014-10-31
romania

Aarond to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
I really tried to like Dominion, but just like with Constantine...it's just missing something that I can't quite put my finger on it. I mean I like the actors and the overall story in both (at least what I saw so far) but something just makes me go "Meh, nothing else to see so I'll just watch an episode of X for now".

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Rook008

Premium Member

to Rook008
I mad because I thought it was done, watched 10 episodes and said whaaaaa it can't end that way..there's not conclusion... then found they took a month off.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008

Premium Member

Yeah, that kind of made me wonder too, but I checked and it's a 13-episode season.

SixOfNine
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

1 edit

SixOfNine

Premium Member

said by SixOfNine:

The same TV column that crapped on Gracepoint has good things to say about Happy Valley, a six-episode Netflix series.

I finally got around to watching this and it was worth it. Just get used to the Yorkshire accents and you'll be fine.