uniqs
dsl_conn
Premium Member
join:2014-04-13
USA

dsl_conn

Premium Member

[WiFi] Reviving Wifi on a Technicolor TC8305

I registered for this site two months ago after signing up with Comcast and receiving a Technicolor TC8305 gateway for HSI and digital phone. After a few fits and starts the wired part worked fine, but Wifi was bog slow. About to post my first question when Wifi suddenly sprang to life after changing the channel from auto (channel 1 selected) to manual (I selected channel 6 as that seemed less common around me).
So I didn't post and was happy for two months. Yesterday the cable signal went wobbly (TV and HSI) for an hour or so and when the TV returned the Wifi was gone again. After resetting the gateway to factory settings, the wired speed is fine, the Wifi barely struggles, not so much with signal strength, but internet connection or maybe name resolution.
What should I look for on the gateway management page to help me diagnose this issue? It appears to me that actual gateway management is quite restricted by its software.
Thanks in advance.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

Not sure I can help you with your problem, but here are some documents that may help:

Technicolor's Setup and User Guide for the TC8305C:
»docs.technicolor.com/dat ··· 0000.pdf

About the XFINITY Wireless Gateway 1 (includes the TC8305C):
»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· ateway-1

XFINITY Wireless Gateway 1 Quick Start Guide
»media2.comcast.net/anon. ··· 1013.pdf

Advanced Wireless Gateway Features
»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· eatures/

Set Up Your Wireless Network with a Wireless Gateway
»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· -network

MDA
Auto Negotiating
Premium Member
join:2013-09-10
Minneapolis, MN
Netgear CM600
Asus RT-AC66U B1

1 edit

MDA to dsl_conn

Premium Member

to dsl_conn
Any comcast gateway management is restricted in software to appeal to the amateur computer user.

I have helped many figure out issues with different comcast gateways (commonly arris tm862g and Technicolor tc8305c), but I'll suggest that you get a TM722g or TM822g instead (822g is more preferable as it has more downstream channels) and a dedicated router. Only comcast gateway I recently used that has working wireless is the arris tm862g.

The issues it has in the long run (especially the TC8305c) aren't worth the time to just plug in be on your way with a modem and dedicated router setup. You'll even save money since renting a wireless gateway (TC8305c) is more a month than owning an emta (data and voice modem) and buying a dedicated router.
dsl_conn
Premium Member
USA

dsl_conn

Premium Member

Thanks MDA, I'll look into this.
dsl_conn

dsl_conn

Premium Member

Ok, so why does this happen?

I have now noticed that while my laptop is connected to the LAN 1 output of the TC8305, another PC using wifi works full speed and excellently. When I break the LAN connection, wifi ceases working. What could cause this to happen?
dsl_conn

dsl_conn

Premium Member

Throw up my hands

Now the situation/trick noted in the previous post no longer works. Seems entirely random.

MDA
Auto Negotiating
Premium Member
join:2013-09-10
Minneapolis, MN
Netgear CM600
Asus RT-AC66U B1

MDA

Premium Member

That seems like a bad routing engine as a whole if the lan connection breaks the WiFi. That gateway is also notorious for dropping packets even if the firewall is entirely disabled.

At this point, putting that gateway into bridge mode and using a 40-50$ router should yield a better experience.
dsl_conn
Premium Member
USA

dsl_conn

Premium Member

Ok, so I tried this with my old Cisco Linksys WRT400n, which I hope still works. Took three calls to get the TC8305c into bridge mode with the wifi turned off. Middle guy trashed the gateway and said Technicolor wasn't helping Comcast improve the gateway software.
Anyway, although the LAN #1 port seemed to be working fine on Internet access, the Linksys router in DHCP mode appeared to be unable to get the required info from the gateway.
Have I missed a step somewhere?
dsl_conn

dsl_conn

Premium Member

Resolution

Not finding a way to make the Technicolor work, I replaced it with an Arris 862, which appears to work fine.
Thanks