uniqs

Antonica
Premium Member
join:2002-09-02

Antonica to Jobbie

Premium Member

to Jobbie

Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth

yeah sure we can. Sunday we have soccer tournaments all day and have to change out a van part, but Saturday we should be good and I'm off Monday except to watch a movie with arch.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

Have you tried EVE at all yet?

Yeah I have done EVE still in the tutorials.

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium Member
join:2000-09-13
Belen, NM

ironweasel to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

Game is buggy as shit. 0/10 for release.

Every time I launch, I get the exe crashing, my GPU drivers crashing, or my sound card spitting out an ear-splitting noise that continues after the process is killed (takes a restart to fix). The one time I made it in game I noticed giant black boxes around each monitor (an artificial 1" bezel?) and NO SOUND AT ALL.

0/10 would not bang. Let's hope they fix their shit.

I logged maybe an hour last night and didn't run across any issues at all. I'm sure I'll log quite a few more hours this weekend, so we'll see if anything pops up.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord to FizzyMyNizzy

to FizzyMyNizzy
I'm a couple of hours into the game, no crash or bug yet. Guess I am lucky.

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium Member
Belen, NM

ironweasel

Premium Member

said by TigerLord:

I'm a couple of hours into the game, no crash or bug yet. Guess I am lucky.

3 hours total so far for me and nothing - no bugs, crashes, or graphical oddities.

Anyway, my first impressions are that it feels like Civ V but I love the Affinity aspect and the tech "web" versus the traditional "tree". I also like that the aliens don't attack your outposts like the barbarians in previous Civ games did. I did have them attack my first two trade convoys, but once I built the Ultrasonic Fence and then turned them into portable shields, the aliens left my little traders alone.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus to FizzyMyNizzy

Premium Member

to FizzyMyNizzy
I played a 2v2 (Player and Player vs AI) on the second to lowest difficulty and we got wrecked. Time to put it on baby mode and try again.

TigerLord

Canada

to FizzyMyNizzy
It will take me games and games until I figured out the tech tree.

Its just impossible to take it all in in a single playthrough, TMI.

BigReds42
Premium Member
join:2004-07-14
Bellaire, OH

BigReds42 to Jobbie

Premium Member

to Jobbie
said by Jobbie:

Can we get a Civ V game this weekend?

I miss playing with you guys.

Normal Civ 5? I have that.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

Yeah normal Civ5

BigReds42
Premium Member
Bellaire, OH

BigReds42

Premium Member

let's get a game started... can you even play online with people? lol

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to ironweasel

Premium Member

to ironweasel
So after trying to disable CF, disable Eyefinity, turn off my sound card, play with DLLs, DX11, drivers, etc., I fixed the issue by deleting everything but the Steam exe and steamapps folder from my /Steam directory. Weird.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

Thanks to Antonica.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

BEST WORST IDEA EVER.

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium Member
Belen, NM

ironweasel

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

BEST WORST IDEA EVER.

What in the hell are you trying to say?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I was a little skeptical to a troubleshoot that tells you to delete everything in your Steam folder but two things. Turns out it worked.
bethy
join:2009-06-17

bethy to BigReds42

to BigReds42
said by BigReds42:

let's get a game started... can you even play online with people? lol

The game seems a bit glitched. In Windows 7 full screen, there is a window that needs to be clicked which is masked behind the full screen. I need to hit ctl alt del and start task manager to see it.

Last night in Sputnik difficulty (totally noob, trying to learn) I put a city about 6 tiles away from another civilization. Which promptly declared war on me around 80 turns into the game. I spend the next 150 turns at war. He had 2 cities, even after taking his 2nd city, he wouldn't negotiate peace. I tried 6 to 8 times, after destroying him, I was considered a war monger by all the other civilizations.

I didn't expect war on turn 80, and didn't think in noob difficulty war was possible unless specifically initiated by me.

Worse, some victories, seem difficult to obtain. I still haven't read a good description (or been able to get) the promised land victory via the emancipation gate.

Trying to set up the beacon was also problematic, I didn't see the space telescope until doing research in cybernetics. Which wasn't listed as a per-requisite for building it.

The material called firaxite in game, is referred to as firaxis (the company which makes the game) in online documentation. The in game name, doesn't match the online documentation for reasons I don't understand.

To make the telescope, I needed 2 firaxite, but all my stuff was in use. I couldn't easily find a list of buildings or units that used this material. Even after discovering a unit which used it, and deleting 2, to get firaxite, it was immediately consumed by bots auto improving. I deleted all workers, to assure firaxite wouldn't be re-purposed, and still it vanished for reasons unknown.

These seem more like beta glitches, particularly the ctl alt del problem, but also the aggression at the easiest level of play by an AI.

Eventually these issues will be resolved, but if anyone has a good description of how to make the emancipation gate, it would be welcome news.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

Setting up a FFA match on Saturday, November 1st, probably starting between 3-5pm EST and ending when it ends. Each player is their own team. Size of map depends on how many people sign up. No AI, simultaneous turns. In-game cooperation/factions can exist. Whatever is part of the game can be used.

Let me know who's in.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

I was a little skeptical to a troubleshoot that tells you to delete everything in your Steam folder but two things. Turns out it worked.

It's pretty much how I move my steam install to a new computer. Except I leave the game folders intact. Usually I also have it verify the game cache of the games I choose to bring over. (Especially with an OS change).

BigReds42
Premium Member
Bellaire, OH

BigReds42

Premium Member

Would this work for a Normal Civ V game that we could play at our leisure?

»multiplayerrobot.com/

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Having played through Civ:BE this feels like a reskinned Civ5 with very minimal changes. Heck, most things correlate directly, like Health = Happiness and Energy = Gold. It's a skin, very a few game functionalities have changed. Even win conditions are practically identical in terms of mechanics. A talented fan could probably have pulled this off.

Going with the green/Harmony route, I never felt like my civilization became one with the planet. Units were skinned green (and bugged--every unit portrait showed some naval vessel hull below it in the preview pane when picking perks) but it was an identical copy of a vanilla unit--not asymmetric like Starcraft is.

I got the Transcendence victory and was disappointed I got a text box, not even a cutscene. Definitely worth $10-15 on sale. Not worth $50.

TigerLord

Canada

to FizzyMyNizzy
I paid 37.50 and feel I got my money's worth, but I'm a sucker for all things sci-fi.

Civ V at release had quite a bit of issues, it didn't start getting REALLY good until brave new world imho.

If you're on the fence I'd wait for the christmas sale.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

This is definitely less innovative than Alpha Centuari was when it came out. I *loved* that game. This just feels like Civ5 in space. Let me colonize moons or some shit and then maybe it will feel like a just sequel.

Deremus
join:2011-09-01
Chandler, AZ

Deremus to Exodus

to Exodus
said by Exodus:

Let me know who's in.

I'm pretty sure I can make that FFA game. Count me in.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to FizzyMyNizzy

Premium Member

to FizzyMyNizzy
New beta drivers for AMD.
said by Tech Report :

New Catalysts enable Mantle in Civ: Beyond Earth

In case you missed it, AMD posted a new set of beta Catalyst drivers just before the weekend. These 14.9.2 drivers add Mantle support in Civilization: Beyond Earth—enabling, among other things, the new multi-GPU rendering scheme Scott wrote about on Thursday.

Now, there are a few caveats. The game doesn't support multi-monitor configs, and the Mantle version can't handle CrossFire setups with more than two graphics cards. There are a couple of outstanding issues, as well. The game stutters "under high map zoom and high image quality settings," and the "interactive and visual elements of the mouse cursor can become offset." A workaround for the latter is outlined in the release notes. (AMD says it's working with Firaxis on a proper fix.)

In addition to the Beyond Earth stuff, the new Catalyst betas include dual-GPU optimizations for KritiKa and SheDiaoZero along with a "profile update" for Project CARS. AMD has also fixed bugs (mostly CrossFire-related ones) in a handful of games, including Alien: Isolation, FIFA 2015, Max Payne 3, Metro Redux, Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor, Total War: Rome 2, and Watch Dogs. See the release notes for a detailed listing.

FWIW, I am playing 5760x1080 windowed mode just fine with CF (not forced) and Eyefinity enabled. I troubleshooted the shit out of my rig and followed Antonica's suggestion of deleting everything in my steam folder but the steamapps folder (where all the games are stored), and the actual Steam.exe program. Rebooting and restarting Steam regenerated all the folders, and launching C:BE prompted a DLL redownload and reinstall i had been unable to trigger manually. At that point the game worked fine (and even lets me alt-tab between EVE and C:BE!).

Deremus
Chandler, AZ

Deremus

I'm on TS3 and ready whenever you guys want to play. Is the FFA still going to happen?

Antonica
Premium Member
join:2002-09-02

Antonica

Premium Member

Supposed to yeah. Arch said 3-5 start time so wanted to see when everyone would be available. WE'll see how many are on at 3 and go from there (20 minutes)

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Well congrats Deremus for completely wiping the floor with us in the FFA. He (first place) had over twice my score (last place) and walked right through Archivis (second place) with some upgraded ARC battlesuits. Arch resigned and gave his cities over to me, and then I capitulated when I lost 4 units to one ARC battlesuit only doing about 10 damage to it total (those things are beast!).

Definitely was some fun and look forward to getting better at the meta (which I don't get at all, just using the tips and guides).

Does anyone have mods they use? I came across this recommendation for some mods from Civ5 that got ported over:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· m-rG7e2k
Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
said by TigerLord:

TB has a 50min WTF on it already

(youtube clip)
impression is positive but not stellar.

Finally watched through it. I completely agree about the lack of personality in terms of the AI. But yeah, it's a fun game. Really want to see the expacs.

Deremus
Chandler, AZ

1 edit

Deremus to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
Thanks Kris, those battlesuits are wicked. I had loads of fun playing with everybody on Saturday. At this point, it's hard to say how much I like Beyond Earth exactly, because it still has the new and shiny feel going on for it.

Starting up a game of Civ 5 felt really different after having played Beyond Earth. They do share a lot of visual similarities, but there seems to be something in the core that's different. It's probably the quest-to-victory and the affinity system that does it.

Edit: If we do play a new FFA Beyond Earth game... I can definitely see the non-combat victory conditions as being helpful, since they make a pure military strategy a bigger gamble.
Tehuno
join:2005-01-18
Bartlesville, OK

Tehuno to FizzyMyNizzy

to FizzyMyNizzy
I was severely disappointed in this game.

Winning via transcendence or emancipation felt almost exactly the same. You have to research damn near every tech to have enough of any type of affinity to start a victory "project", and at that point, you can pretty much pick any number of win conditions.

The game branches out with many options during the mid game, but it just feels like it all comes back to a singular path at the end game.

They did a great job balancing resources, so you dont have like 60 iron and 40 aluminum not being used in the end game like in civ 5. I struggled with having enough floatstone to build some of the awesome production buildings, which is good balance.

I also liked units auto upgrading, rather than spend gold/energy to keep them up to date.

to me it all comes down to the winning conditions being too similar, it kills the replay value. In civ 5, if i got bored winning games via tech, id switch to culture, or i could try and make a ton of money to buy the allegiance of city states, to win a diplomatic victory.

Id wait for this to go on sale unless you are just a die hard civ fan, in which case, youve probably already bought this.