Home of The Rat Patrol
MVM
join:2001-03-31
Saint Louis, MO

7 recommendations

jopfef

MVM

[Pets] Cougar...

I'd like you to meet the latest edition to the Pet Clan. This is Cougar; he was resting comfortably in my friend's laptop case, while I worked on her laptop a couple of days ago. (That bag holds an 18-inch laptop!)

My vet delivered Cougar to me last December; he's about two years old, give or take. He was a stray, had been in a nasty cat fight, and he was horribly mangled. It took several operations to put him back together and save his tail; he was also neutered at the same time, got all of his shots and is micro-chipped. His backside was shaved, so I haven't wanted to post any pictures until his hair grew back out -- not that I would post a picture of his hiney anyway!

Cougar is MASSIVE; probably 25 pounds if he's an ounce, and not an ounce of fat on him. He was also as ornery as they come, when he first arrived, and I have the scars to prove it; he spent the first month in one of my air kennels, until he decided not to attack me anymore. He did NOT like being cooped up in the house, and there was absolutely NO WAY that I could reach down and pet him, without suffering wounds.

He's now been here for almost 7 months, and is a completely different cat. I knew he was finally starting to adjust, when he started to hang out under my desk.

I can pick him up and hold him, without getting bit in the face, and he purrs all the time too. He follows me around everywhere I go in the house (including the bathroom!), I can trim his nails, I can pet him, and he now sleeps on the bed with me and The Rat Patrol; he's a space hog!

A couple of nights ago, I was eating a sammich, and he hopped up and helped himself to a big bite of it -- how rude! He sits at the front door and looks out the window at the outside world; I know he misses going outside, but he can't go out ever again. That's why I have him; Doc gave him to me because he can't be adopted out to anyone else. He's FIV-positive, and the risk of him spreading the disease is too high. I'm seriously considering a trip to PetsMart with him, to get him a harness, and teach him to go on walks; I think he'd enjoy being outside again, in a controlled situation. Probably going to do that soon.

Cougar is very gentle with my three ancient kitties (who are now 24+ years old this year!), and he's very good with the dogs. He also gets up on the DOG couch and hangs out with the dogs. He likes to sleep next to Chance at night, if he's not on the bed with me and the little dogs.

Cougar with The (Evil...) Rat Patrol.

I was beginning to think Cougar would never adapt to being a house cat; it has taken all this time for him to make the change. I don't know how long he will live, but hopefully he'll be around for a long time. This big guy has turned out to be an incredible kitty!
jopfef

4 recommendations

jopfef

MVM

And, of course, right after I posted this, guess what showed up in Random Fortunes???

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
join:2005-01-29
So. CA, USA

1 recommendation

onDvine to jopfef

Premium Member

to jopfef
Cougar is beautiful and lucky to be in your home. I wish you many happy years with him as part of your family.

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

1 recommendation

Santa Fe to jopfef

to jopfef
He's really handsome, and lucky to have you! And Visa Versa I'd wager to bet!

Although I was rather disappointed, I thought from the title it was going to be a dating post or something.

lonnyb
Blessed Beyond Belief
Premium Member
join:2004-01-25
San Antonio, TX

1 recommendation

lonnyb to jopfef

Premium Member

to jopfef
He is a handsome cat!!

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

1 recommendation

Sunny to jopfef

to jopfef
You should have talked to us, Cougar. We could have saved you all that expended energy. You didn't have a chance against our JoJo. We could have told you she would win.

But now you know and you could not have made a better landing, you handsome boy, you.