uniqs

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA

Re: [Roofing] My weekend project - OTA Antenna

said by Jack_in_VA:

The ground rod should be tied to the service ground with a #6 copper conductor.

Ok, so if my only modification is to change the 10AWG going from the rod to my pipe with 6AWG, would I be fine?
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t

said by alkizmo:

said by Jack_in_VA:

The ground rod should be tied to the service ground with a #6 copper conductor.

Ok, so if my only modification is to change the 10AWG going from the rod to my pipe with 6AWG, would I be fine?

you'd be much better off.. safer would be the word..

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by tschmidt:

If the antenna is any distance away from the main building ground the ground rod will dump most of the energy into the earth, minimizing how much flows in the bonding conductor. The ground rod must be bonded to antenna and building ground system.

The antenna is on my roof, so it's not any distance of the building. The rod is about 2 feet from my exterior wall. I guess I may as well use the rod since it's already there though.
said by tschmidt:

The coax grounding fitting should be connected to the grounding conductor near where the coax entered the house.

I'm just having trouble seeing a coax grounding block being able to clamp a 6AWG stranded copper wire. Usually those things are made to clamp onto line drop masts.
said by iknow_t:

you'd be much better off.. safer would be the word..

The question was whether the 10AWG from antenna to rod also needed to be replaced.
I figure that wire can turn red hot without causing problems since it's outside.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to alkizmo

MVM

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

my only modification is to change the 10AWG going from the rod to my pipe with 6AWG, would I be fine?

This is where technical and legalese converge.

From an engineering standpoint connecting the antenna bonding conductor to copper cold water pipe is fine. Having larger surface area the pipe has a lower impedance then 6 AWG cable.

However: to be legally compliant the 6 AWG bonding conductor must run all the way to the building ground system. The reason is concern that in the future someone will replace a section of copper water pipe with plastic nullifying the ground.

/tom

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by tschmidt:

However: to be legally compliant the 6 AWG bonding conductor must run all the way to the building ground system. The reason is concern that in the future someone will replace a section of copper water pipe with plastic nullifying the ground

The house ground IS the copper pipe.
The entry point of the copper pipe is drywalled, so I cant reach that anymore.

My alternative would be to bond at my electrical panel.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

1 edit

tschmidt to alkizmo

MVM

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

The antenna is on my roof, so it's not any distance of the building. The rod is about 2 feet from my exterior wall. I guess I may as well use the rod since it's already there though.

Sorry I'm confused. The issue is the location of the antenna relative to main building ground. Since there is already a ground rod in place use it AND bond everything together with 6-AWG. By code you can use 10-AWG for the mast, but need 6-AWG to bond ground electrodes together. Bottom line the larger the better, if it were my house I'd use 6-AWG to bond the mast.
said by alkizmo:

I'm just having trouble seeing a coax grounding block being able to clamp a 6AWG stranded copper wire. Usually those things are made to clamp onto line drop masts.

Where does the coax enter the house? If it is near the antenna mast bolt the coax ground block to the mast. If coax enters some distance away screw the ground block to the house where the coax enters and use some of your 10 AWG wire to bond the ground block to 6 AWG bonding conductor with a split-bolt clamp.

Here is a picture and an explanation.
»ecmweb.com/code-basics/a ··· quipment

/tom

Hellrazor
Bah Humbug
join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA

Hellrazor to tschmidt

to tschmidt
said by tschmidt:

From an engineering standpoint connecting the antenna bonding conductor to copper cold water pipe is fine.

Quoting engineers doesn't mean reality.

If you inspected the line and everything is metallic. Life is a bitch if you do that and some part of your supply run is plastic or hits an old transit supply line 40' in front of the house.

Don't assume.

shdesigns