spc
Search similar:

uniqs
sssscary
join:2007-10-23
Brockville, ON

sssscary

[Mobile] block MMS on Galaxy Note 2

I posted this in the direct forum, but would love any comments from others.

All we want its to block MMS and incur no further MMS charges.
We have been incurring MMS charges each month and we never send MMS. Possibly long text messages are converted to MMS is the reason. We have spent hours on the phone with various Bell support. Month after month, we have to call in. We have wasted many hours of our time. We have had to listen to support personnel saying things such as 'do you email pictures?' and 'let me go through the tutorial' . We have been left on hold for 40 minutes or more, also disconnected.

We have had the Creation mode set to "Restricted" in the message application. They have had a set up a new APN with Internet only and no MMS settings and set that as the active APN. MMS messages still go through.

This is our last service that remains with Bell. Our next step is to cancel.

Note: if I change the APN settings on my Rogers S3, MMS fails as we want. No MMS are allowed to be sent.
sssscary

sssscary

Another frustrating thing about this whole process is that whenever you call back, they have no information on any of the previous calls or that we have even called in. Pretty convenient way to handle an issue you can't solve. Just hang up and not your problem any more.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to sssscary

to sssscary
How do you have a plan without mms included? All plans now include unlimited mms. However there is no way the note 2 is sending "false" mms messages someone has to be
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

A lot of the older plans do not include MMS.

I think this is a bug with many Samsung devices. I get many text messages from my friends who are Samsung users that come in the form of MMS.

Have you deleted the MMSC, MMS Proxy and MMS port information from the APN settings? They shouldn't go through if you've deleted this information.
sssscary
Brockville, ON

sssscary

Thanks. We made a new APN without those settings and selected it. We can't change the original bell APN. The MMS still go through. Its like its still using the bell settings. I did the same on my s3 on rogers and it works. MMS tries then eventually fails on the rogers s3, as expected.
sssscary

sssscary to btech805

to btech805
No mms on the plan. It a cheap corporate plan. Like I said, the note will convert long SMS to MMS, or sometimes multiple recipients. We just want mms blocked.
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

Have you asked Bell if they have an MMS block they can place on your account?

I use a 3rd party SMS app on my android device and it allows for a great deal of customization. Although I haven't used the feature myself, it allows me to override the phone's built in APN settings for MMS, this might be another option for you.
sssscary
Brockville, ON

sssscary

Bell said they can only block MMS while blocking data also. Who knows if that is true, given the level of knowledge of their reps.

Thanks, the 3rd party app is a good idea. I was thinking about looking into that. What one are you using? I assume it can completely. replace the standard sms app that comes with the phone
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

I use chompSMS. I believe you may have to pay extra to make it ad free though. There are others out there but I find them to be too bloated and run slowly.

Stock messaging app cannot be removed, but you can hide the icon somewhere and you will only receive notifications from the 3rd party app you installed.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to sssscary

to sssscary
Gosms is a good free option. Lots of customization available