Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to jchambers28

Re: [Electrical] Smartmeter dead by power surge.

said by jchambers28:

Because I am on Standard High critical summer rate. between 2 and 7 and at a low rate after 7PM If I did not monitor it my bill would be threw the roof.

You use the same whether you monitor or not...
On another thought.. no rush with the meter. Free electricity. They cannot charge you for something they cannot prove you used.

Boooost

@76.65.143.x

1 recommendation

reply to chip89
quote:
Low-tech but highly reliable: NJ meter readers still make the rounds

And a necessity in New Jersey, where most electric, gas and water meters still require people to visit the locations and enter updated usage numbers to calculate monthly bills. It is a model that has remained relatively unchanged for more than a century.

The alternative, two-way smart meters, can remotely calculate individual gas, water and electric usage, send a signal when a customer’s power goes out, and in some cases, help cut energy consumption and manage peak demand.

But the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities and the state’s ratepayer advocate haven’t supported the technology, whose system-wide installation would run into the hundreds of millions of dollars, a cost that would get passed on to customers.

The state Division of Rate Counsel, which represents consumers in utility rate cases, maintains that human meter readers are still cheaper and more effective than their high-tech counterparts.

“Meter readers serve an important function,” said Stefanie Brand, Rate Counsel director. “They are not obsolete.”

Because utilities don’t yet have smart grid technology that would allow for system-wide communication, many of the potential smart meter benefits would go unrealized, she said.
More - »www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/20 ··· nds.html

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR

1 edit
reply to jchambers28
They showed up and replaced the meter. They said they will take the meter back to the shop and see if they can extract data off of it. The said they may have to estimate between the time the meter went off line and got replaced.

psiu

join:2004-01-20
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
said by jchambers28:

said they will take the meter back to the shop and see if they can extract data off of it. The said they may have to estimate between the time the meter went off line and got replaced

One beeelion dollars

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

1 recommendation

reply to jchambers28
said by jchambers28:

They shewed up and replaced the meter. They said they will take the meter back to the shop and see if they can extract data off of it. The said they may have to estimate between the time the meter went off line and got replaced.

I would ask them to prove how much used! If they can't prove it you didn't use it.
--
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to pjsutton
you dont want one unless you like the idea of paying double plus what you're paying now.
--
Despises any post with strings.

NS4683

join:2000-08-25
South Amboy, NJ
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Why would you be paying double?

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to Boooost
Yeah First Energy really does't have plans for a big smart meter deployment. ( even the test is small it's 50-100 people that's it)

enon

@50.153.115.x
reply to Msradell
Arkansas Public Service Commission

General Rule 5.19 (A)(2) states:
quote:
If actual usage cannot be determined, it shall be the customer'susage at that location for the same time period of the previous year. A utility may apply a weather-sensitive factor to the consumption in arriving at the estimated usage for the correctionperiod. Ifnousagedataisavailable for that customer at that location for the previous
year, a utility shall use the class average to estimate consumption.
I would offer the link but it seems whenever anon posts include a link or image the post falls in to purgatory.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

2 recommendations

said by enon :

I would offer the link but it seems whenever anon posts include a link or image the post falls in to purgatory.

You could consider joining instead of remaining a anon poster!
--
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to NS4683
ever since i got one my bill went up 240% with no change in usage patterns.
--
Despises any post with strings.

NS4683

join:2000-08-25
South Amboy, NJ
So your bill just magically went up? There was no increase in kilowatt hours?

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
reply to jchambers28
Definitely get the utility to replace the dead meter ASAP. As others have said, they will probably estimate your usage for the time the meter was out, and it may or may not be in your favor (most likely not).

iknow_t

join:2012-05-03
reply to enon
said by enon :

Arkansas Public Service Commission

General Rule 5.19 (A)(2) states:

quote:
If actual usage cannot be determined, it shall be the customer'susage at that location for the same time period of the previous year. A utility may apply a weather-sensitive factor to the consumption in arriving at the estimated usage for the correctionperiod. Ifnousagedataisavailable for that customer at that location for the previous
year, a utility shall use the class average to estimate consumption.

that is actually theft. they don't take into account if the homeowner went on vacation, or seriously reduced consumption by other means, like changing to other than electric appliances, or changing to more efficient appliances.. in other words, they can charge whatever they want if actual usage cannot be determined. that is just wrong.. one problem is it is their equipment, and if it malfunctions it is their problem, and holding an electric customer responsible for their screw-up is just incomprehensible. electronics and lightning don't mix.. that's not something that should be done. a mechanical meter with an electronic street readable device attached is the way to go, if anything happens like lightning, a mechanical record will be available of the actual usage, and no guessing of the usage is needed..

jchambers28

Alma, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Cricket Broadband
·AT&T Wireless Br..
reply to jchambers28
Click for full size
The meters must have some amount of storage onboard. It's showing my usage from Friday till Monday.

iknow_t

join:2012-05-03
said by jchambers28:

The meters must have some amount of storage onboard. It's showing my usage from Friday till Monday.

NO, notice it says ESTIMATED.. that's NOT actual usage.. they got you already..

jchambers28

Alma, AR
Thats for next months bill. They read the meter last night I already got a bill for this month's usage.

umwutz

@69.118.94.x
reply to jchambers28
said by jchambers28:

Um, storage, of course it does... it is not in contact with the poco 24/7 reporting second by second usage.
I think you mean maybe the meter was not dead but just the display was or whatever you saw that made you say it was dead.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
reply to jchambers28
I wish Western Mass Electric would install smart meters and have such tools. I'd like to know where the power is going.
--
Stop the Comcast-Time Warner merger, I'd rather Time Warner buy out Comcast.

umdafaq

@69.118.94.x
What, the powers going into the house, the OP posted nothing useful to tell "where" the power is going unless I missed something, its a graph of daily usage... Its showing when the powers going... about it.

Buy a kill-a-watt... you want a poco to install new meters when a $20 device would do a 100000% better job as telling "where the power is going" :S

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
No they should install the meter and give free killawats also.