uniqs
share rss forum feed

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH

1 recommendation

reply to jchambers28

Re: [Electrical] Smartmeter dead by power surge.

This might be why Firstenergy still does't use smart meters.

pjsutton

join:2013-06-25
Kempton, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
said by chip89:

This might be why Firstenergy still does't use smart meters.

I have First Energy (Met-Ed) in PA and the PA PUC requires them to charge us "smart meter fees" in order to one day be able to provide everyone with a smart meter. So we are paying for it now and don't even have one yet!

Met-Ed estimates readings every other month.

chip89
Premium
Independence, OH

1 recommendation

Ouch I don't I do. As far I know FirstEnergy does't have any plans to put smart maters in anytime soon.... (Probably because power is so cheap here.)

Hellrazor
Bah Humbug

join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA
Reviews:
·Service Electric..
reply to pjsutton
said by pjsutton:

I have First Energy (Met-Ed) in PA and the PA PUC requires them to charge us "smart meter fees" in order to one day be able to provide everyone with a smart meter. So we are paying for it now and don't even have one yet!

Yup, it is great isn't it. The big companies can't afford them and the little electric coop at my cabin has them installed for years. Figure that out...

Montana48

@166.147.104.x
Doesn't make sense. The coop here started offering "Turtle Meters" back in the early 90's for no extra charge as a convenience so members didn't have to self read and either mail in the bill card or call the reading in. They've since upgraded the SCADA system to TWACS, added the ability to monitor daily usage, pulling readings on-demand via the coop website, system status and reliability monitoring, remote disconnect/reconnect and prepay service for those who have trouble paying their bill. Here again, no extra charges. Here they retrofitted most of the single-phase mechanical spinner meters with modules for AMR. Aside from the module, my meter is the same one that was installed in 1984 before the coop did any sort of AMR.

LadyL
Premium
join:2002-09-18
Lorain, OH
reply to chip89

Boooost

@76.65.143.x

1 recommendation

reply to chip89
quote:
Low-tech but highly reliable: NJ meter readers still make the rounds

And a necessity in New Jersey, where most electric, gas and water meters still require people to visit the locations and enter updated usage numbers to calculate monthly bills. It is a model that has remained relatively unchanged for more than a century.

The alternative, two-way smart meters, can remotely calculate individual gas, water and electric usage, send a signal when a customer’s power goes out, and in some cases, help cut energy consumption and manage peak demand.

But the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities and the state’s ratepayer advocate haven’t supported the technology, whose system-wide installation would run into the hundreds of millions of dollars, a cost that would get passed on to customers.

The state Division of Rate Counsel, which represents consumers in utility rate cases, maintains that human meter readers are still cheaper and more effective than their high-tech counterparts.

“Meter readers serve an important function,” said Stefanie Brand, Rate Counsel director. “They are not obsolete.”

Because utilities don’t yet have smart grid technology that would allow for system-wide communication, many of the potential smart meter benefits would go unrealized, she said.
More - »www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/20···nds.html

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to pjsutton
you dont want one unless you like the idea of paying double plus what you're paying now.
--
Despises any post with strings.

NS4683

join:2000-08-25
South Amboy, NJ
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Why would you be paying double?

chip89
Premium
Independence, OH
reply to Boooost
Yeah First Energy really does't have plans for a big smart meter deployment. ( even the test is small it's 50-100 people that's it)

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to NS4683
ever since i got one my bill went up 240% with no change in usage patterns.
--
Despises any post with strings.

NS4683

join:2000-08-25
South Amboy, NJ
kudos:1
So your bill just magically went up? There was no increase in kilowatt hours?