·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable
(Software) pfSense
Humax BGW320-500
TP-Link EAP610

TWC_User

Which DNS should I use?

Hello everyone,

Lately I am experiencing low speed/high ping/some packet losses, only once a while. I am not sure what's the cause of that, but should I use some other DNS servers to see if it does improve anything? And also, which DNS do you use?

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

Changing the DNS servers will probably not resolve a packet loss or speed problem in most cases, unless the problem is with a content distribution network. But yes, it doesn't hurt to use other DNS servers from the ISP's. My advice is to use OpenDNS. Their IPs are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. It is proper DNS even without an account these days. No search results, and much better reliability.

I would run either the Netalyzr tool (»netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu) or run the line quality test on this website to see where your packet loss issue may be.

ARGONAUT
Have a nice day.
Premium Member
join:2006-01-24
New Albany, IN

ARGONAUT to TWC_User

Premium Member

to TWC_User
For IPv4 I use Level3:

For IPv6 I use OpenDNS IPv6 Sandbox:
2620:0:ccc::2
2620:0:ccd::2

So far these seem to be stable and very fast.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

1 recommendation

maartena to TWC_User

Premium Member

to TWC_User
said by TWC_User:

Hello everyone,

Lately I am experiencing low speed/high ping/some packet losses, only once a while. I am not sure what's the cause of that, but should I use some other DNS servers to see if it does improve anything? And also, which DNS do you use?

DNS does not help with packet loss or speed problems. All a DNS server does, is translate IP addresses into host names, so when you type in cnn.com in your browser, it actually knows what IP address to connect to. It has absolutely 0 effect on packet loss or speed problems.

That said, the TWC DNS aren't the best out there, and as others suggest using something like OpenDNS can not hurt one bit.