John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

1 edit

John97

Premium Member

[memory] Do I need system-specific RAM for this Lenovo workstation?

I'm awaiting delivery of a Lenovo ThinkStation E32. It's coming with 4GB of DDR3-1600 non-ECC unbuffered RAM according to the configuration specifications.

Apparently these machines can use both ECC or non-ECC RAM. So, am I correct in thinking that I can just order up some standard RAM from Newegg or elsewhere?

»www.lenovo.com/images/wo ··· heet.pdf

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE

Premium Member

Brand shouldn't matter as long as the type and specs match. And for best results, use the same brand/type. Mixing can sometimes causes issues. But if you don't mind the possible trial and error, you can attempt mixing.

John97
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

said by JimE:

Brand shouldn't matter as long as the type and specs match. And for best results, use the same brand/type. Mixing can sometimes causes issues. But if you don't mind the possible trial and error, you can attempt mixing.

I plan on buying a dual-channel 8GB kit. I'm going to pull the 4GB if it's a single DIMM and see if I can get an identical matching piece later. But, if it's a pair of 2GB - I'll just leave it in.

I just wanted to make sure it'll work with standard RAM. Thanks for the reply!
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2 to John97

Premium Member

to John97
Per the datasheet you posted, it looks like the mommy will be A65729.

Seems like this p/n is available from several places:
»www.lenovoquickpick.com/ ··· m-memory

»shop.lenovo.com/us/en/it ··· 351D4EE4

And it also appears to be a single DIMM. Therefore, you should be able to purchase a matching stick.

John97
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

2 edits

John97

Premium Member

said by bbear2:

Per the datasheet you posted, it looks like the mommy will be A65729.

Seems like this p/n is available from several places:
»www.lenovoquickpick.com/ ··· m-memory

»shop.lenovo.com/us/en/it ··· 351D4EE4

And it also appears to be a single DIMM. Therefore, you should be able to purchase a matching stick.

Right, I know I can get that part number. But what I've been trying to determine is whether or not I have to purchase *THAT* exact RAM. It doesn't appear to be anything special.

This "genuine Lenovo" stuff sells it for $61.99 for a single 4GB stick.

Since this is a workstation and not a "standard" desktop unit, I don't want to run into any surprises, as many of these systems require system-specific RAM.

I've done a bit more poking around, it appears I'll be ok with "generic" RAM. I've tried various manufacturers "memory configurator" tools and the results end up being "industry standard" pieces.

Here's an example of what I found on Newegg:

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 20239434

From what I can tell after doing a bit more poking around, something like this should work just fine. I'd rather pay $75.99 and get a pair. I may even buy a pair of 8GB sticks if the price is right.

I could always eBay that single stick or look for a deal on a matching piece later.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

You certainly can start over with a matched pair and that will be fine. However, the Kingston product you selected has a Cas Latency 11 - the worst there seems to be for 1600. Hence you get what you pay for. Unfortunately, the Lenova version doesn't seem to even spec the CAS.

John97
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

said by bbear2:

You certainly can start over with a matched pair and that will be fine. However, the Kingston product you selected has a Cas Latency 11 - the worst there seems to be for 1600. Hence you get what you pay for. Unfortunately, the Lenova version doesn't seem to even spec the CAS.

Thanks. The Kingston selection was just an example. When I ordered the unit, I inquired about a RAM upgrade and it was inferred that I had to buy super-duper special RAM from Lenovo because it's a workstation and not a "regular" desktop. Some quick research had me convinced it was a bunch of bunk, but I wanted to make sure before I dropped any cash.
John97

John97

Premium Member

Just to close it all out, I scored a great deal on some RAM via eBay. I got three of the A65729 genuine Lenovo modules, brand new in packaging for $50.

16GB oughta be just fine.