spc
Search similar:

uniqs

BrandonWaver
@76.97.211.x

BrandonWaver

Anon

WRT4GL hardware issue - power cuts off when I move router

I have a Linksys WRT54GL v1.1 that I put Tomato 1.28 on (I had DDWRT on it before that). It has been around for many years but seems to work well except that any time I bump or move it (for example put turn it on its side or set it on its faces, the power will cut out. I move it some more and it will come back on and work fine.

It really looks like there is something loose in the hardware. I haven't opened it up yet (and I'm not scared) but I don't have a lot of experience with electronics (although I have a soldering iron and have some some soldering although I'm not that good at it) and I'm not sure were to start troubleshooting where the faulty connection may be. I do have a multimeter.

Anyone familiar with these routers know if this is a common issue or places I should start looking once I crack the case? I tried messing around with the power cord in case there was a short but I don't think it is the cord.

Thanks!

Salty_Peaks
@173.255.181.x

1 recommendation

Salty_Peaks

Anon

I suspect the 12V DC connection on the PCB needs to be resoldered. Not uncommon, could be a stress fracture. I'd pull the rubber feet off the bottom, move the screws, pull the front face, and then pop it open. I'm going from memory (don't have one in front of me) but I recall there are three legs from that connector that is through-PCB mounted. Two DC negatives that look like [ ] and the center pin (polarity positive). I'd just re-melt them with your soldering iron. Get it good and hot first -- shouldn't need to add any solder.

If the center pin is loose or shorted out you might have to desolder and resolder a new one. It's an easy task -- hope this helps.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

1 recommendation

Bill_MI to BrandonWaver

MVM

to BrandonWaver
Good advice from Salty_Peaks. I'll add a little more...

1) It's surely a bad solder joint *somewhere*. The connector is a good place to look but there's several large (heavy) coils around iron donuts (called torroids) that are notorious for breaking their solder connections to the board. They usually have globs of RTV to hold them in place but they're always a good jarring bump away from failing.

If you have old eyes like me, a magnifying glass is your friend.

And no chance it's the power adapter cord/plug is it? Just another possibility.

Good luck!

Ken1943
join:2001-12-30
Brighton, CO

1 recommendation

Ken1943 to BrandonWaver

to BrandonWaver
Hold the router down with one hand and wiggle the power cord and connector with your other hand should give you an idea of what may loose.

BrandonWaver
@76.97.211.x

BrandonWaver to Salty_Peaks

Anon

to Salty_Peaks
Thanks guys! I was able to reproduce the issue again and when I pulled the router out from the rack to work on it, I couldn't reproduce it anymore. Like at all. I put it back in the rack and it is working fine for over a day now. Not sure if it was just me and the power cord wasn't plugged in all the way or what. But if it happens again I know where to start.

Tks again chaps!

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI

Bill_MI

MVM

We refer to this as "burying the problem". Chances are it'll return but you never know. Let us know how it goes!