uniqs

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

2 edits

Camelot One

MVM

[Electrical] Question on CFL/LED dimmers and secondary switch (not 3 way)

A question for the sparkies: Is there any reason I can't put a normal on/off interrupter switch behind a newer style CFL/LED capable dimmer?

Longer version:
I am ready to start wiring my new theater room. Soffits run down both sides, and will have 4 recessed cans each. I would like to wire it up so that there is a global dimmer to run all of them, but with individual switches to turn off each of the first 3 rows. (a left and right light on each)

What I've done in the past is wire the hot in to a dimmer, with the switched out connecting to the hot in for a switch like this: »www.amazon.com/Leviton-8 ··· 0004YUIU
Then pull the switched line out of each rocker to a row of lights. In this case I would put the first 3 rows from the screen behind the master dimmer and triple rocker, with a separate 3 way switch/dimmer to drive the 4th row, which will be over the bar.

But I've only done that with the older style "incandescent only" dimmers. I know the newer CFL/LED capable models work a little different, though I'm not exactly sure what that difference is. Would it in any way effect a wiring setup like this?

edit: Alternate triple rocker switch link: »www.homedepot.com/p/Levi ··· e+rocker

Edit 2: while I am at it, I need to run a power line for the projector. I originally planned on just a ceiling mounted outlet next to it, but I think I would rather have the power to the PJ come off of the power conditioner in the equipment closet. How should I go about wiring that? I don't think I can run a long external cord through the ceiling wall, but surely a plug on the end of romex at the closet end wouldn't be acceptable either.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

The Amazon link did not work for me.

Switching out loads behind the dimmer is fine. Be sure the CFL/LEDs are dimmable and the dimmer is rated for maximum load. CFLs don't dim very well so you are probably better off using LED lights.

/tom

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

Thanks. LED it will be, if I can find them in the size/trim I want. Might end up having to use those G10 style halogens, which would be ok for now, but I would still make everything LED dimming capable for future proofing.

(please see edits above)

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to Camelot One

MVM

to Camelot One
said by Camelot One:

I don't think I can run a long external cord through the ceiling wall, but surely a plug on the end of romex at the closet end wouldn't be acceptable either.

Use a male TV on the wall infeed connector near the UPS. Run romex from there to the projector.

/tom

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

Thank you.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to Camelot One

MVM

to Camelot One
As far as the lighting is concerned, the only issue I can think of is the total wattage. Most dimmers have a maximum wattage. An example in residential would be 600W incandescent, and 150W LED.

You can also get a commercial switch, which will have higher capacity.

As for the projector: »www.wiredathome.com/wall ··· wer-kit/
...or similar.

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

That is exactly what the dimmers I have been looking at are rated for. There would be a total of 6 lights behind it, so that would give me up to 100W each for incandescent (I doubt they'll be more than 40w bulbs), or 25W LEDs, which would be higher draw than my 75w equivalent kitchen LEDs.

What I need to check is how much that rating drops when multiple dimmers are in the same box. I'll want a second dimmer for the main ceiling lights (probably 4 total on that one). Maybe if I just put them in a 3 gang box, with a blank spacer in between.

Thanks for the link, that looks like what I need for the projector.