uniqs

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron

Re: Tower climbers out there, best place to get a harness kit in Toronto?

I climb on a regular basis for work, not towers but hydro/phone poles, and nothing beats a 5 point harness, for the safety and the comfort. I use a similar harness to the one Hydraglass posted earlier, »www.ufsupplies.ca/indust ··· ing.html.

I use a leather strap to wrap around the pole and I've had that slip up the pole a few times as I've moved slightly to get a better angle and it's not a pleasant feeling.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

TL;DR

I have to climb a 50 Foot tower to re-aim an OTA antenna. I'm planning on both re-aiming my primary antenna and possibly adding a second one on the tower. So I need a basic harness that will allow my to do this safely atop a free standing Yagi tower.

Suggestions?

One of these:
»www.genielift.com/en/pro ··· ndex.htm

Cost you about $1000 for a day delivered/picked up.
Nothing like a flat stable work surface.
Use it to clean out the eavestrough / do roof repairs / tree trimming while you've got it.

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS

Premium Member

Even with a genie lift, you still need to use and wear a safety harness! While it may seem to be safe, one stupid move can send you flying! On construction sites I occasionally visit, it is mandatory to be tied off in a lift!

Nevertheless, it's more than having the right equipment, it's also the proper training in the use of the safety equipment that is very important, something you wont get from reading an instruction sheet. Hire a pro, it may seem expensive, but when you factor the costs involved to DIY, it's a bargain and peace of mind.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

Now that I'm home, and I can post a picture here's what I have to work with:

Tower Pic

The Antenna is at an approximate 47 ft. elevation and I'd be working in the middle of the top section of the tower.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
Didn't you say you paid a guy to erect it?

That tower will have a very limited lifespan, if it's truly just sitting on the grass, the way it looks to be.

Should be at minimim a patio stone, and beter yet, a poured footing; and a base section...

The odds of a leg sinking and throwing the tower off level is pretty good the way it is.

Also, how is it grounded?

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

It's buried about 3 feet into the ground, I have a similar setup at home and it isn't shifting.

To be honest I haven't checked the ground wire at this location, the way I have it set at home is that the ground rod goes about 8 feet directly into the ground from the base of the antenna, and assuming there's a problem he'll come back and fix as I have a pretty good relationship with him.

Are you bringing this up because you're concerned about structural issues or electrical issues?

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

Bit of both...

Buried in the ground isn't the 'right' way to install it either, it'll rust quickly - but it's better then just sitting ON the ground, which it what the picture looked like to me. At least you've got some lateral stability.

As for grounding - it's a pretty sizable lightning rod you've got there - but if it's buried in earth, that'll drain away a lot of current; again, not the right way, but better then nothing.
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

Premium Member

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

The Antenna is at an approximate 47 ft. elevation and I'd be working in the middle of the top section of the tower.

I look at this and say, "Why doesn't somebody make an optional $10 'gearbox' with a crank that can be mounted at the bottom of the tower, connected to the antenna pole via lengths of EMT, and have a teflon or roller -bearing sleeve at the top of the mast?" Stand on the ground, turn the crank reposition the antenna, and then lock the gearbox in position with a cotter pin.

BTW, I hope that the mast 'stays' attached to your roof are screwed into joists and not just the roof decking.
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by El Quintron:

I look at this and say, "Why doesn't somebody make an optional $10 'gearbox' with a crank that can be mounted at the bottom of the tower, connected to the antenna pole via lengths of EMT, and have a teflon or roller -bearing sleeve at the top of the mast?" Stand on the ground, turn the crank reposition the antenna, and then lock the gearbox in position with a cotter pin.

BTW, I hope that the mast 'stays' attached to your roof are screwed into joists and not just the roof decking.

They do and their called Break Poles
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Seems like an inexpensive alternative to $500+ of climbing gear.
Doonz (banned)
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

said by MaynardKrebs:

Seems like an inexpensive alternative to $500+ of climbing gear.

Break poles are close to 3x the cost of a free standing tower
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Well, besides you, who knew?

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

Yup, it's a new-ish roof I even knew where the joists were this time around.
El Quintron

El Quintron to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

not the right way, but better then nothing.

Nothing about cottages is ever the "right way"

Thingamajig
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
B.C.

Thingamajig to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
Ontario safety standards for fall arresting equipment...
The following components of fall arrest, fall restricting, travel restricting, systems and safety net must be designed by a professional engineer in accordance with good engineering practice and meet the requirement of the following with CSA standards (or equivalent):
Connecting Components for Personal Fall Arrest Systems CAN/CSA Z259.12-01
Safety Belts and Lanyards CAN/CSA/Z259.1-95
Full Body Harnesses CAN/CSA/Z259.10-M90
Fall Arresters, Vertical Lifelines and Rails. CAN/CSA-Z259.2.1-98
Self-Retracting Devices for Personal Fall-Arrest Systems. CAN/CSA-Z259.2.2-98
Descent Control Devices. CAN/CSA-Z259.2.3-99
Shock Absorbers for Personal Fall-Arrest Systems. CAN/CSA-Z259.11-M92
Fall Restrict Equipment for Wood Pole Climbing. CAN/CSA-Z259.14-01

MEC stuff won't cut it.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

1 edit

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Thingamajig:

MEC stuff won't cut it.

I assumed as much, the guy who looks after my property has a bunch of industrial safety harnesses and tree cutting gear he wants me to look at before buying anything.

I want to get up that tower as much as possible, but at least I'll have a better idea of what to buy after this.

EQ

edit: it's worth mentioning that I'm going to be climbing this tower at least four more times before the current cottage season is over, and at least once or twice a season afterwards. So climbing gear referrals and advice are much appreciated as the gear is going to be getting a lot of use once I buy it.
El Quintron

El Quintron to Doonz

Premium Member

to Doonz
I wouldn't really want to aim an antenna from a pole, I'd get frustrated.

Obviously that's a personal preference, and not a recommendation for anyone else, but I'd rather fine tune it by hand. I've done a lot of these on rooftops which is much easier than a top a pole, but I think my TV results and eventually my WIND mobile antenna will be easier to install that way.

EQ
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs to Thingamajig

Premium Member

to Thingamajig
said by Thingamajig:

Ontario safety standards for fall arresting equipment...
The following components of fall arrest, fall restricting, travel restricting, systems and safety net must be designed by a professional engineer in accordance with good engineering practice and meet the requirement of the following with CSA standards (or equivalent):
Connecting Components for Personal Fall Arrest Systems CAN/CSA Z259.12-01
Safety Belts and Lanyards CAN/CSA/Z259.1-95
Full Body Harnesses CAN/CSA/Z259.10-M90
Fall Arresters, Vertical Lifelines and Rails. CAN/CSA-Z259.2.1-98
Self-Retracting Devices for Personal Fall-Arrest Systems. CAN/CSA-Z259.2.2-98
Descent Control Devices. CAN/CSA-Z259.2.3-99
Shock Absorbers for Personal Fall-Arrest Systems. CAN/CSA-Z259.11-M92
Fall Restrict Equipment for Wood Pole Climbing. CAN/CSA-Z259.14-01

MEC stuff won't cut it.

What you mention is what a commercial worker would be required to use. Most of the stuff you mention would kill somebody on K2. In fact, 'abseilers' & rescue workers almost exclusively use mountaineering equipment.

Thingamajig
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
B.C.

Thingamajig

Premium Member

Last time I checked he was working not rescuing.
If he is doing this in a work related environment and things go sideways. His gear isn't CSA approved, he's basically f'd himself of any type of recourse.

In BC he'd have to take a safety course on climbing as well or he'd be deemed ineligible to be doing this type of work.

How many guy wires and what are they anchored into. You start adding 400lbs of body weight/tools you're asking for trouble.
Doonz (banned)
Beaumont, AB

1 edit

Doonz (banned)

said by Thingamajig:

If he is doing this in a work related environment and things go sideways. His gear isn't CSA approved, he's basically f'd himself of any type of recourse.

In BC he'd have to take a safety course on climbing as well or he'd be deemed ineligible to be doing this type of work.

How many guy wires and what are they anchored into. You start adding 400lbs of body weight/tools you're asking for trouble.

Most likely none. ROHN offers towers to 90ft without guy wires
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs to Thingamajig

Premium Member

to Thingamajig
said by Thingamajig:

He's a weekend DIY warrior - doing this for himself at his cottage, at his own risk. I don't think EQ is 400lbs. of Twinkie-eating trailer-trash - or is he?
MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to El Quintron
@EQ

Suggest that you get yourself a pair of Kevlar work boots. They have a Kevlar toe/sole shank to protect your toes from tools you accidentally drop - before they punch a hole in your roof - and the shank will make it more comfortable on you arches when you're standing on the tower rung for any length of time.

Kevlar boots are also lighter than steel-toed boots and they have the benefit of lessened/no electrical conductivity in case you step on a live wire.
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky to El Quintron

to El Quintron
if you're going cheap, at least look at a roofers harness..... They're much better than a climbing harness. They usually come with a single tie off instead of a double. a double is ideal.

I think my climb gear was around $500 total. It's actual climbing gear though, not roofers or climbing
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Most 'construction' harnesses on the market only come with a metal loop on the back between the shoulder blades, and this is designed for a person clipped to a boom lift or other hard point - not for climbing and being clipped to a tower.

The 'construction' DBI-Sala harness with integrated seat (see my first post) is the best thing for a climber who then has to stay clipped-in to work on a TOWER - two side rings for a belt or two separate safety lines, plus the chest ring safety line attachment point when tower climbing. Mountaineering harnesses are less weight, less encumbering, and just as safe when used by knowledgeable users - construction harnesses are designed to be used by and safe for lugs who don't think.

Integrated seats - whether in construction/mountaineering harnesses are a good idea to prevent femoral artery damage if you windup hanging by the tether.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

I don't think EQ is 400lbs. of Twinkie-eating trailer-trash - or is he?

I think calling me a 200lb "cidiot" with a bad RF habit would just about describe it.
El Quintron

El Quintron to prairiesky

Premium Member

to prairiesky
said by prairiesky:

if you're going cheap, at least look at a roofers harness.

Doesn't have to be super cheap, It's going to get a lot of use over the years, so I'm more or less ready to spend some cash to keep myself safe.

EQ
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Then spend some dough on a rock climbing course before you drop money on your own gear. It'll open your eyes.
arisk
join:2001-08-08
London, ON

arisk to El Quintron

to El Quintron
Mine:
»dbi-sala-safety.com/fall ··· 1103270/
with an added shock absorbing lanyard and a rope with clips going around the tower to the waist D-rings.

My use is similar to yours.
It probably isn't perfect and not ideal for commercial/frequent use, but I feel safe.
I can't say I have complaints about it for what I do.
The price was acceptable and not enough that I was more inclined be stupid and not bother.
I can't recall the price though, as it was many years ago.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

Then spend some dough on a rock climbing course before you drop money on your own gear.

What aspects of rock climbing do you think will be helpful?
El Quintron

El Quintron to arisk

Premium Member

to arisk
Is this the one that doesn't have circulation loss?