bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

1 edit

bbear2

Premium Member

[Pale Moon] Pale Moon portable vs. regular install

I read on the Pale Moon site the key differences between the two and they also offered some suggestions about when to use or not to use which. There's one aspect that I'm still a bit puzzled with and it might not even be a PM issue.

With the portable version, I cannot make it my default browser. So like in an email or word doc, I click on an http link and it won't use PM. I went to the program associations and I don't even have the choice (Win7) to tell it to use PM for http files.

Is there a way to have the portable version be the default browser for http links? I saw some registry editing programs, but am not too keen on those.

Looking at it from another direction, if I use the regular install version and want to pass along my customizations, passwords, etc. is there and equivalent of the Palemoon-Portable.ini file so that I can copy over only one file and get the same customizations, etc elsewhere?

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Re: Pale Moon portable vs. regular install

Just copy your ''portable profile'' folder over to the installed directory and you should have the same settings as the other version.
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

Same " Palemoon-Portable.ini" (file name) and all?

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Ya just overwrite the whole folder...........and I just checked my portable version and it is the default browser that opens from my email app.

What program do you use...........WLM?
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

When you say your portable version IS the default browser how do you mean? And how did you achieve that?

If you go into a word doc and create an http link. then click on the link, what opens?

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Just under the advanced/general options............click to make default.

It opens all links from my email program........haven't tried the doc.
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

That seems like it should work, but unfortunately it does not. I clicked on "make PM the default browser", received no feedback that it actually did anything. Also checked the check box "always check to see if PM is the default browser" and that checked ok, but then became unchecked next time i restarted PM.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
Everything works on my end..........tried with a doc and it works.

you may have to install it.

It installs to a different directory anyway from Firefox..........it's under AppData/Moonchild Productions.
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

Key word: install. yes if you installed something then you're not running the portable version. Thanks.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by bbear2:

Key word: install.

yes if you installed something then you're not running the portable version. Thanks.

I've been reading as this thread has developed.

Gotta jump in now.

I have installed mine, and I assure you that I am running the portable version.

I don't know how YOU have been doing it, but EVERY one of my portable browsers currently under test has gotten installed, in the traditional sense of the word.

I download an executable file, just like for any other app, then double-click and launch an installer.

Next, I tell a dialogue box which drive and folder (creating a folder, usually), and it does the typical followup dialogue and progress graphics, and says when it is done.

If you are doing it any other way, such as manually extracting from archives and copying the contents to folders yourself, it just leaves more margin for errors, and for questions which seem out of place.

Installing may not resolve the main question which you raised in the current thread, but it would at least be a consistent process and would not distract from your question.
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

davesnothere - Thanks for the details. How are you sure that you are running the portable version? From the details you provided it sounds like the full install.

- did you download it from this page: »www.palemoon.org/palemoo ··· e.shtml?

- When you start it up, does it say PM Portable in a big rectangle?

Beyond those two things, there are few discernible differences.
---
I did download the portable version from the link above. It's a self-extracting .exe file. That's all it does is extract the files/folders. Then when I want to run PM, I double click the PM.exe file. There is NO install because it is potable. I can take this anywhere, to any network drive, USB drives, etc. and with it expanded, all I have to do is pm.exe and I have a browser with my customizations as they were when copied.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Yes to both questions.

I just repeated the process, and , you are correct about the PaleMoon installer being more of a simple self-extractor, but it still asks you where to where to extract the files, like I had suggested.

So it isn't that much different than a traditional install.

But you do click on palemoon-portable.exe after installing, not pm.exe right ?

This is getting to be a bit of a blur , as I have installed about 6 versions of Portable FireFox and a couple each of PaleMoon and SeaMonkey, but upon rechecking now, I see that all of the others DO put me thru a longer installation-style of dialogue.

FireFox 24.6 esr is here, in case you wish to compare installation procedures :

(The last one on the list is English>)

»sourceforge.net/projects ··· /Mozilla Firefox, Portable Ed./Mozilla Firefox ESR, Portable Edition 24.6.0/

SeaMonkey 2.26.1 :

»sourceforge.net/projects ··· 02.26.1/
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

I run PM by clicking on Palemoon-Portable.exe - the original posted problem remains. If you too are running the portable version as verified and you can click on a link in an word doc, spreadsheet or email and it opens PM PORTABLE, i would really like to know how you got that to work. Thanks.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

That's why I at first stayed out of this thread - because I do not have it configured in that way, and have not tried to do so, and so I have nothing to contribute on that, unfortunately.
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

Time out for a station break: »[request] New Group Request in Mozilla Software for Pale Moon

Add your comments as you see fit.
bbear2

bbear2 to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
OK, so our of curiosity, what do you use for your main browser? and what do you use for your "default" via the link browser?

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Currently, I actually USE Firefox 24.x esr as my main browser on both this and the test PC, but both PCs are still set to use IE8 as Windows default browser, from use prior to last September, when I switched from IE8 to FF14, and again left it as IE8 when I switched more recently to FF24.x esr as an intermediate step of my ongoing browser testing.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
quote:
I download an executable file, just like for any other app, then double-click and launch an installer.

Usually the portable versions come in *.paf or zip format so you just extract the files to a directory of your choice,where all the files are contained.

It makes it easy to delete as you don't need a cleanup process.

If you're installing it to the program folder then it's not the portable version.
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

SOLUTION FOUND:
said by bbear2:

... Is there a way to have the portable version be the default browser for http links? I saw some registry editing programs, but am not too keen on those.

Granted this probably does some sort of registry editing, but the UI is very basic and simple. Hard to go wrong with it and it does not install itself, it only runs.

Make Pale Moon Portable your default browser in Windows 7/8: »forum.palemoon.org/viewt ··· 4&t=2792

Thanks to all for the ideas and discussion to sort through this.