spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ShadowFoxBiH
join:2013-04-27
Port Richey, FL

1 edit

ShadowFoxBiH

SPLIT: NOW they want to charge for the box....

Exactly my problem with all the former Bell companies, TWC, Comcast, and BHN they all carve out areas and claim them for themselves and refuse to go outside them since another competitor holds that area...... my god I swear the FCC should just classify broadband providers under Title 1 and treat them as utilities.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Re: NOW they want to charge for the box....

said by ShadowFoxBiH:

Exactly my problem with all the former Bell companies, TWC, Comcast, and BHN they all carve out areas and claim them for themselves and refuse to go outside them since another competitor holds that area...... my god I swear the FCC should just classify broadband providers under Title 1 and treat them as utilities.

And that would accomplish what given our current state of affairs in government????? Think hard about that Shawdow
ShadowFoxBiH
Port Richey, FL

ShadowFoxBiH

Gary don't give me a soapbox to stand on it's a lot better than the current status quo we have no one is competing all the providers just keep raising prices one after another it's disgusting to say the least.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by ShadowFoxBiH:

Gary don't give me a soapbox to stand on it's a lot better than the current status quo we have no one is competing all the providers just keep raising prices one after another it's disgusting to say the least.

Not talking about that...talking about the specific thing I mentioned....and I doubt seriously it will be any better. I can easily take my "hat" off and speak to you person to person and tell you that isn't the answer...you say regulate but you didn't fill in exactly what you expect to accomplish....power is regulated and its a mess...just ask anyone who lives in California or Florida... Insurance is regulated its a royal mess just ask anyone that lives in California or Flordia (two very flaming examples of it gone regulation wrong). So tell me what it is you expect to accomplish? Give me the end goal and your plan to make it happen (make sure you get your represetatives sign off on that - good luck with that).
ShadowFoxBiH
Port Richey, FL

ShadowFoxBiH

My goal is to remove the middle man and by middle man I mean local governments who sign agreements with one provider and then refuse to let anyone else in unless they pay some ridiculous fee compare the US to countries like the UK where regulation works and you see huge differences in cost, I have friends in the UK who can get 1 Gbps for the same cost I pay for 90/10.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by ShadowFoxBiH:

My goal is to remove the middle man and by middle man I mean local governments who sign agreements with one provider and then refuse to let anyone else in unless they pay some ridiculous fee compare the US to countries like the UK where regulation works and you see huge differences in cost, I have friends in the UK who can get 1 Gbps for the same cost I pay for 90/10.

In Florida it's no longer a city decision....hasn't been for a long time now.

»www.whitecase.com/alert_ ··· _060507/

Not sure about other locations....
ShadowFoxBiH
Port Richey, FL

ShadowFoxBiH

Gary Florida is an exception to the rule but in this case the state government is bought and paid for by the lobbyists and if you don't believe me I have some nuclear power plants to sell you for a premium.. Florida is a joke when it comes to protecting consumers.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by ShadowFoxBiH:

Gary Florida is an exception to the rule but in this case the state government is bought and paid for by the lobbyists and if you don't believe me I have some nuclear power plants to sell you for a premium.. Florida is a joke when it comes to protecting consumers.

Um hellooo I'm paying for the same broken nuke you are And you just made my point for me...here we have exactly the regulation you asked for and you aren't happy....and our current fed system will make you happy? Cmon SF lets be real here....
ShadowFoxBiH
Port Richey, FL

ShadowFoxBiH

Gary I agree with you the current system is broken but I advocate for responsible regulation, Florida by law regulates everything but in reality regulates nothing they just rubber stamp whatever makes them the most money which I know you and I both don't agree with, regulation in itself is not bad but when you don't enforce the regulations you have created essentially you get Florida.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Responsible regulation LOL!!! That implies that you have responsible people writing and enforcing it (oh and they need to read it first before they pass it too lol...reading always makes it better). Exactly where do you plan to find those people...haven't seen a lot of that flowing out of DC in recent times have you? And it will be several magnitudes worse at a federal level (just like it always is with everything else). Contrary to what you think you hold the ultimate regulatory power....it's called your wallet...its influence is far more powerful than anything that could ever be drafted on paper.
ShadowFoxBiH
Port Richey, FL

ShadowFoxBiH

LOL Gary I agree with you but there are not many choices out there for me to vote with my wallet with, where I live i have two choices either BHN or Verizon DSL and I don't know about you but 768 kbps is not something I can live with even though Verizon acts like it's a great option.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to ShadowFoxBiH

Premium Member

to ShadowFoxBiH
Not exactly what I meant....but I think at least you get my point....all I will say is be careful what you ask for
ShadowFoxBiH
Port Richey, FL

ShadowFoxBiH

I get your point but there is snowballs chance in hell I will step down to DSL.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

said by ShadowFoxBiH:

In Florida it's no longer a city decision....hasn't been for a long time now.

»www.whitecase.com/alert_ ··· _060507/

Not sure about other locations....

It's interesting how Brighthouse rushed to have my local government sign a franchise agreement a year before this went into effect
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Premium Member

to ShadowFoxBiH
said by ShadowFoxBiH:

I get your point but there is snowballs chance in hell I will step down to DSL.

Nor would I go back to Hughesnet as my day to day provider

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
I've heard it's a total miss down here when it comes to that... Thank Goodness Ohio does't do that.
chip89

chip89 to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
You could't pay me to do that...

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

.power is regulated and its a mess...just ask anyone who lives in California or Florida...

Actually, power is deregulated in California. A great example of regulation gone right is Alabama. We have a very heavily regulated monopoly and while our rates are a bit high, we have extremely reliable power, guaranteed UNIVERSAL service, and a corporation that acts as a member of the community via philanthropy and economic development.

I love that the argument is "well, regulation would be great but we have idiots in there that can't regulate!" Well, support the people who would put in sensible regulations and you'll get them. Keep voting for people of a particular political bend who want to live in Somalia and you'll get Somali style government.

Don't piss on me and tell me it's raining. We're smarter than that.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by mixdup:

said by BHNtechXpert:

.power is regulated and its a mess...just ask anyone who lives in California or Florida...

Actually, power is deregulated in California. A great example of regulation gone right is Alabama. We have a very heavily regulated monopoly and while our rates are a bit high, we have extremely reliable power, guaranteed UNIVERSAL service, and a corporation that acts as a member of the community via philanthropy and economic development.

I love that the argument is "well, regulation would be great but we have idiots in there that can't regulate!" Well, support the people who would put in sensible regulations and you'll get them. Keep voting for people of a particular political bend who want to live in Somalia and you'll get Somali style government.

Once again you don't what you are talking about....California is most definately power regulated and while there was a flirtation with deregulation that didn't last long (Enron)....those of us who actually lived there experienced it (and the blackouts) first hand Joseph as you say "Don't piss on me and tell me it's raining."

»www.cpuc.ca.gov/puc/

mixdup
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by mixdup:

said by BHNtechXpert:

Once again you don't what you are talking about....California is most definately power regulated and while there was a flirtation with deregulation that didn't last long (Enron)....those of us who actually lived there experienced it (and the blackouts) first hand Joseph as you say "Don't piss on me and tell me it's raining."

»www.cpuc.ca.gov/puc/

Of course there is *some* regulation. Airlines were "deregulated" but there are still rules they must follow. Just like internet service is "unregulated" as an information service there are still some laws you must follow, again, because we don't live in a lawless society like Somalia.

My point is still completely valid, however, that total monopoly regulation is possible and still have an extremely reliable system and profitable company providing it. Just look at any Southern Company electrical company. Just because some people don't do something correctly doesn't mean that no one can do it correctly.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by mixdup:

Ahh and the argument morphs when the facts come out....you can't have it both ways...either it is regulated or it isn't.

There is no total monolopy in any of our markets. You do have options...you may not like them but they are options nonetheless therefore the monopoly as claimed does not exist.

All I will say on this is be careful of what you ask for...you are obviously intelligent and given the current dysfunctional state of government in general if you really think they can do a better job by all means vote your heart out....but I do not want to hear you come back here complaining when it doesn't go as you thought it would.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89

Premium Member

Unitl DSL is cut that is...
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by chip89:

While that is happening in some areas it often gets replaced with some flavor of wireless broadband (yes I get it but...). Technology continues to advance so with very few exceptions you would have an alternative. Last resort would be satellite based (and again I get it but) and as painful as that may sound it is still an option.

mixdup
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by chip89:

While that is happening in some areas it often gets replaced with some flavor of wireless broadband (yes I get it but...). Technology continues to advance so with very few exceptions you would have an alternative. Last resort would be satellite based (and again I get it but) and as painful as that may sound it is still an option.

In many of your service areas there is zero competition for wireline internet access. There IS a difference between wireless (whether it be satellite or cellular) and when you factor in access to video services, that becomes an even bigger factor.

Even in downtown Birmingham, the most urbanized and densest areas in the state, which you are the incumbent cable operator, there are areas that cannot even get old school 6mbps-max DSL, much less U-Verse.

And as far as regulation goes, the UK has forced unbundling and it works pretty well. You guys were doing it (and still are, kind of) with Earthlink, but of course they don't have access to the full range of speeds. We also had unbundling and competition back in the days of DSL and that worked out pretty well, and AT&T and Verizon didn't go out of business either.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Premium Member

to ShadowFoxBiH

Re: SPLIT: NOW they want to charge for the box....

said by mixdup:

In many of your service areas there is zero competition for wireline internet access. There IS a difference between wireless (whether it be satellite or cellular) and when you factor in access to video services, that becomes an even bigger factor.

Not by our design or intent... if the area doesn't support more than one wireline there is not much that can be done about that. There are no exlusives from a distribution rights perspective.
said by mixdup:

Even in downtown Birmingham, the most urbanized and densest areas in the state, which you are the incumbent cable operator, there are areas that cannot even get old school 6mbps-max DSL, much less U-Verse.

Again not by our design...if another provider thinks there is value to overbuilding they will. Regulation isn't going to make that happen.
said by mixdup:

And as far as regulation goes, the UK has forced unbundling and it works pretty well.

I don't give a rats about what the UK is doing....
said by mixdup:

We also had unbundling and competition back in the days of DSL and that worked out pretty well, and AT&T and Verizon didn't go out of business either.

No it didn't work out very well and nobody has made a claim about going out of business....you still haven't provided one example where regulation will answer any of the above...cmon bring it....stop wasting everyones time with anecdotal evidence and lame examples. Surely you can do better than the above....you say you have a case prove it otherwise its just talk.

mixdup
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup

said by BHNtechXpert:

you still haven't provided one example where regulation will answer any of the above.

I did and you said you didn't care about it.

The UK has forced unbundling and they have competition in the residential ISP market. Don't tell me my example doesn't count and then say I didn't provide one.

And a monopoly whether it is a natural one or enforced doesn't make a difference. A monopoly is a monopoly, and if there are things that we, as a collective society can do to improve the services that businesses won't we should do so. It's how we got universal electrical service in the 30s and universal telephone service in the 60s and 70s.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Premium Member

to ShadowFoxBiH
Still waiting.... Stop repeating the talking heads points and tell us how regulation in this country will be better (given our current state of dysfunctional government). Don't cite the UK it's a different country, different standards and they actually have a functional government.
ShadowFoxBiH
Port Richey, FL

ShadowFoxBiH

Gary is that a reply to me or mixdup? I agree with your point about dysfunctional government but that is our own fault if we as people actually educated ourselves it would be a different story but until then we keep having a repeat of idiots.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by ShadowFoxBiH:

Gary is that a reply to me or mixdup? I agree with your point about dysfunctional government but that is our own fault if we as people actually educated ourselves it would be a different story but until then we keep having a repeat of idiots.

No buddy just Mixdup as usual....

mixdup
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup to ShadowFoxBiH

to ShadowFoxBiH
said by ShadowFoxBiH:

My point exactly. People complain about the government, say that the government is unable to ever do anything right, and then elect idiots. If we elected decent people the government could actually function properly. There are plenty of places where it happens. Of course, when you have an economic interest in keeping the status quo and keeping as little government oversight into your business practices, well, we see where the arguments lead.