Search similar:

uniqs
newSymp
join:2003-11-06

newSymp

new car.. would this piss you off?

Click for full size
Click for full size
I've had a New car for a month now not even.. about 700KM on it.. really only 500KM as I had to drive the car from another city.. I was allowed to pick it up with the dealership which added another 200km

So in between the right back door and front passenger door I noticed this while installing a clearbra on the door sills.

Even around the one screw it looks the paint is coming off.

I am just so disappointed honestly.

The car is a new 2014 Kia Optima

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

d4m1r

Asian imports aren't really known for their quality of workmanship so I guess you get what you pay for in this case...

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to newSymp

to newSymp
said by newSymp:

The car is a new 2014 Kia Optima

Says a lot right there.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to newSymp

Premium Member

to newSymp
It's from assembly - I'm assuming Kia's production line is similar to Honda's and GM's -the doors are painted separate from the body; then mated in final assembly.

I'm tore - on the one hand; you'll never see it again - but on the other hand, it's your new car.. and it's a NEW new car.

If if bugs you that much, take it to the dealership - they'll likely just use a bit of touch-up paint; and be done with it; but it'll give you some peace of mind.
newSymp

1 edit

newSymp to DKS

to DKS

Reality is I guess it could happen to any manufacturer. . Searched the web and behold audis bmws etc from factory have had paint defects.

So if you don't have something to actually add to the thread than try yo bash a brand move along..
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

said by newSymp:

Reality is I guess it could happen to any manufacturer. . Searched the web and behold audis bmws etc from factory have had paint defects.

So if you don't have something to actually add to the thread than try yo bash a brand move along..

be glad its that, when i bought my sunfire (cue laughter) in 2001 brand new the paint was so bad that the dealer re-painted the entire car. after a few months i had delamination, paint wearing off the body kit etc. and no it wasnt a mexican sunfire, it was from lordstown.
As for those dings, check any car on the road there are sure to be dings in the door jambs and wheel wells.

As for dumping on KIA, ive had a few friends buy KIA's and since the Hyundai takeover the quality has improved. I have always been a big GM guy (so bad that i have owned 2 3800 powered grand prix) but when my latest grand prix dies the optima is actually the car i have been looking at. as for warranty, my wife had a cap bearing fail in her 2011 forte, she was a tad lax on her oil changes but they didnt give us any hassle, engine was replaced
newSymp

newSymp

Yeh those are not dings from rocks.. it is inside the door closure area. For a rock or something to get in there would be impossible unless I was driving with the door open even in that scenario it would have to precise.

It seems there was adhesion with the primer or something and bubbled.

It is just freaking annoying to any customer. . 700km brand spanking new having this issue.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

said by newSymp:

It is just freaking annoying to any customer. . 700km brand spanking new having this issue.

just keep in mind, if ever you have been in an auto assembly plant you would see how easily these things happen. the final view guys barely look inside the door jambs all they care about is paint finish on the outside of the car.

d4m1r

d4m1r to newSymp

to newSymp
said by newSymp:

Highly unlikely. Can't speak for BMW but Audi has VERY aggressive quality control measures in place that you pay for. If you receive a brand new Audi with ANY defects, the dealer will correct them at no charge.

Also, Audi's use some of the most expensive paint in the industry including the best way to paint the chasis (imho), rolling the chassis through magnetic vats of paint. Read up on how luxury Germany vehicles are assembled/built and compare it to the practices of Asian import brands and it will be clear you are paying (mostly) for quality. I don't have time to deal with problems like these so I go European (German more specifically) every time I'm in the market.

It would not be satisfactory for me for the dealership to use a touchup stick to fix your problems, I would want the entire panels repainted (at their expense ofcourse) but put my hypothesis about Kia to the test and see what they offer

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to newSymp

Premium Member

to newSymp
said by newSymp:

This is pretty much what I was going to post.
newSymp

newSymp to d4m1r

to d4m1r
Google says other wise about your high value audi

»www.google.ca/search?ie= ··· 8QexmoAo

Paints are water based now thus it doesn't matter how strict a company is painy doesn't hold up as it used to.

Reality is u van change the search term to any manufacture and issues will show up.

Yes audi is luxury but they share their amount of problems. I am not badge biased.

d4m1r

d4m1r

I don't get your point? Anybody can search for anything on Google and link to it. Read even the first topic in the search results you linked, "Never heard of that problem", "Audi uses expensive process", etc etc.

Pro tip; just because someone on the internet reported a problem with their vehicle doesn't automatically assume it is a defect from the factory (same is true in this case). I'll let someone else continue where I left off however as I fear it might be pointless further divulging into the automotive manufacturing process with you.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to d4m1r

Premium Member

to d4m1r
said by d4m1r:

Also, Audi's use some of the most expensive paint in the industry including the best way to paint the chasis (imho), rolling the chassis through magnetic vats of paint. Read up on how luxury Germany vehicles are assembled/built and compare it to the practices of Asian import brands and it will be clear you are paying (mostly) for quality. I don't have time to deal with problems like these so I go European (German more specifically) every time I'm in the market.

Hyundai and Kia do something similar where the entire car is dipped in a vat of paint that adheres to the frame. They got the idea to do it from the Germans - Mercedes specifically, I believe.

Knowing this, if something like this happened on a Kia, it's just as likely to happen on an Audi or any other German car, too. Like you said, it may not be a factory issue. Or it is. And just because you swear it wouldn't happen from the factory on an Audi doesn't mean it can't.

But this isn't the real issue. Stuff like this isn't really that big of an deal. The big deal will be how they respond and address it when you bring it up at the dealership.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009 to newSymp

to newSymp
The dealer should have noticed this when prepping the vehicle for pickup and fixed it.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

1 recommendation

FaxCap to newSymp

to newSymp
The doors were put on your car on a Friday at 3:55pm.

FaxCap
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to newSymp

to newSymp
Touch up paint will not provide a proper primer or sealer and the section will start to rust. Ask them how they plan to prime and seal before applying paint.
newSymp

newSymp to Gone

to Gone
D4m1r is a badge kind of process.

I know the process that kia uses is similar to the German brands.. a lot changed when Peter Scheyer took over design etc at kia.. but many badge snobs don't know that.

Anyway I will be taking it to the dealer.. I just don't want the whole door repainted but i5 should be sealed and fixed

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Pro tip: Just because it's German doesn't mean that the Koreans and the Japanese aren't now doing the exact same thing.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to newSymp

Premium Member

to newSymp
i am sure if you point this out, they will properly address it...it likely isn't that big of a deal and is easily fixed...it would be more of a big deal if it was located somewhere on the exterior, but it looks to be in an inconspicuous location...as well, it may just be a "smudge" of the paint when it was wet, so it is possible the actual metal is still covered...i would still address your concerns and have them fix it, but i wouldn't worry too much about it.

i don't want to rain on your parade, but this issue won't seem like a big deal at all, when you get your inevitable ding in the door from some douchebag in the parking lot (happened to my car a month after i got it).

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been
join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON

1 edit

WhaleOilBee

Click for full size
said by dirtyjeffer0:

i don't want to rain on your parade, but this issue won't seem like a big deal at all, when you get your inevitable ding in the door from some douchebag in the parking lot (happened to my car a month after i got it).

I can beat that! I hadn't even made the 1st payment on my car when some douche-bag backed a truck into mine.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I had a brand new Cavalier back in 2003 for three weeks before someone rear-ended it while I was waiting to make a left turn. It happens.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

Which is why I park in the farthest spot from the front door no matter what the distance to walk.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by peterboro:

said by dirtyjeffer0:

Which is why I park in the farthest spot from the front door no matter what the distance to walk.

as do i...sadly, my wife hunts for the closest possible spot.

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been
join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON

WhaleOilBee to peterboro

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

Which is exactly what I did at work. My car was at the furthest spot in the parking lot. The truck driver, after making his delivery, thought he could turn around but failed to see the lone car in his mirror. Safety in numbers!

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
It amazes me to watch people in parking lots, driving in circles for an hour (ok I'm exaggerating) looking for that elusive spot that is 3 feet from the front door.

Meantime, they could have parked further back and been inside already(not to mention the fuel savings).
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
Same here. Nitwits the both of them.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

It amazes me to watch people in parking lots, driving in circles for an hour (ok I'm exaggerating) looking for that elusive spot that is 3 feet from the front door.

Meantime, they could have parked further back and been inside already(not to mention the fuel savings).

yup...it drives me nuts.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
Also the furthest spot is usually closest to the exit and unimpeded from any other traffic.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by peterboro:

Also the furthest spot is usually closest to the exit and unimpeded from any other traffic.

THAT'S WHAT I ALWAYS SAY!!!...sadly, it falls on deaf ears.

like a brother peterboro...like a brother.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

Mention the health benefits and she will look younger. That always works on women.