spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Hainesa
@70.166.129.x

Hainesa

Anon

09 Pontiac G6 start failure

I used the car to go to a job interview last monday, when i tried to start it last thursday it would not crank, only you could hear a faint click, my friend beleives it is a starter Relay, but im not sure.

I just want to know before i go buy the part.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

Battery's dead. Jump it then bring it by an Advance Auto or Autozone and have them test it (free). Could be the alternator died, or you left something on (i.e. headlights) or plugged into the cigarette lighter.

/M

Hainesa
@72.204.7.x

Hainesa

Anon

after i posted this i went back out to try it again, it started, but it was a random start i cant get it to start again. have already tried getting a boost.

skipon11
Premium Member
join:2005-06-09
Pittsburgh, PA

skipon11

Premium Member

My guess to is starter relay,try crawling under the car and tapping the starter lightly with a hammer.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by skipon11:

My guess to is starter relay,try crawling under the car and tapping the starter lightly with a hammer.

You only tap a starter when the starter itself is binding from being full of brush dust/commutator dust from lots of use/lots of internal wear as it temporarily frees the bind allowing the starter to turn. The relay is not in the starter. The starter will bind up again if not rebuilt or replaced.

supernac3
join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO

supernac3 to Hainesa

to Hainesa
May be your battery cables, you can place a jumper cable from the positive terminal to the starter to test it out.

StephenRC
join:2013-11-02
Satellite Beach, FL

StephenRC to Hainesa

to Hainesa
When was the last time you cleaned the battery's side post terminals?

Hainesa
@72.204.7.x

Hainesa

Anon

so

Its the Terminals, tried cleaning them, if i wiggle them and try to start it cranks up, thanks for all the help guys

(going to get new wires and try cleaning them again) tommorow, poopeddd

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by Hainesa :

Its the Terminals, tried cleaning them, if i wiggle them and try to start it cranks up,

If you can wiggle or move side terminal cables then the battery terminal bolts are too loose and it sounds like the last person who worked on the cables didn't tighten the side terminal bolts with the proper torque.

Tool Tip: Always use a 6 point box end wrench or 6 point ratcheting box end wrench on the side terminal bolt. Never use a 12 point box end wrench or the open end of any wrench as they will slip and round off the terminal bolts hex shape preventing getting them tightened correctly. New side terminal bolts are available at all parts stores if your bolts are rounded off on the hex.
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

I once had a side-terminal battery where you could wiggle the positive cable not because the bolt was loose, but because the whole terminal cracked and pulled right out of the battery case. This stranded me in a fast-food parking lot, but, fortunately, there was a tire store on the next block which had a suitable battery in stock; I managed to walk there about 5 minutes before they were ready to close for the day (really cutting it close).

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by daveinpoway:

I once had a side-terminal battery where you could wiggle the positive cable not because the bolt was loose, but because the whole terminal cracked and pulled right out of the battery case.

Yes that can happen when over-torqued. It is a lead terminal after all.

shdesigns