elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to cepnot4me

Premium Member

to cepnot4me

Re: 1000M = 60 grand......Plus update to my problems with rogers.

said by cepnot4me:

60 grand covers the distribution run, the line extender, the taps, additional hydro poles. Then the labor to do it, permits,, then the cable run to your house. Even if they are only running it to your house the proper install covers a Tap every 300' or so. They have to build the plant to cover every lot along the way even if there isn't a house on it.
Yyzlhr is right, there are line of sight ISPs that have towers everywhere in the rurals. A lot of these are connected to Rogers fiber. (They pay 10K a month or more to provide their point to point high speed to their customers. ) these towers are usually in the middle of nowhere where these ISPS customers are.

So since the OP is the first person to request service, Rogers will charge him for the entire build out and everyone else gets service for the going rate.

What a scam, they should be asking everyone along the line if they want service and divide the cost accordingly
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

They will do that, well kind of.
In developed areas that show interest they will send sales reps to do the same as the petition. Gauge potential interest. Especially when they are doing a build nearby. (New subdivisions the builders pay for the network to be installed and stick it onto the value of each home).

Thru did this in my area when thru rebuilt just south of me10 years ago.

Most of the people on my street had direct TV for free, so they declined when door to door came by.

Rogers ended the network at the last taker since there wasn't enough interest on my street.

The OP could go ask everyone to pitch in. 10 houses $6000 each.