share rss forum feed

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-08
Whitestone, NY
kudos:2

Issue Turning Actiontec into Internet Bridge

I'm following Option 4 of »Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations to turn my Actiontec into an Internet-only bridge but ran into some probelms last night. I followed the steps outlined and when I reached step 12, I plugged a patch cable from the Actiontec LAN to the WAN port of my Linksys E4200 router. I waited for about 10 minutes but it wasn't able to get a DHCP lease. I kept trying to manually renew the lease but nothing happened for half an hour.

I then tried to go back into the Actiontec configuration page (hardwire into the LAN via 192.168.1.1) but the login page never came up, even after a power cycle. I ended up having to hard reset the router to defaults but couldn't get a new DHCP lease until I left the router off overnight.

So now I'm left wondering what to do next about this situation. Does it normally take a long time for the Linksys router to acquire a DHCP lease in Option 4? Or should I just power everything off for a few hours, let the DHCP lease expire, and then attempt it with my Linksys?
--
Please use all available doors...you have 33 to choose from.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
said by Straphanger:

Does it normally take a long time for the Linksys router to acquire a DHCP lease in Option 4?

Not if you properly released the DHCP lease in the Actiontec first.

Options 4 and 5 aren't really recommended any more. They can be problematic with the rev. I firmware.

The preferred approach is to switch your ONT to a cat5 WAN connection and connect your router directly to the ONT. Since you don't have FIOS-TV, you don;t need the Actiontec at all.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-08
Whitestone, NY
kudos:2
I wish I could but the installer insisted on a coax install instead of ethernet. I have no way of running ethernet up from my basement to my living area without calling for someone.

What sort of issues would I encounter if I go this route with Rev. I firmware?
--
Please use all available doors...you have 33 to choose from.

cscoppa

join:2014-07-09
reply to Straphanger
I ran option 5 (dual bridge) for about 24 hours, but it didn't work well. I have a gen 2 revision F router, and the secondary checkboxes for STP are mysteriously absent. Everything on the Ethernet / WiFi side worked fine, but all of the boxes on coax had horrible performance, almost like there were excessive collisions or bad routes going on... perhaps because of the missing STP. I have my new RT-AC68U in AP mode for the time being, until I figure out a better solution.