spc
Search similar:

uniqs

mcordy11
@96.125.138.x

mcordy11

Anon

[Cable] Start/PS4 ip fragmentation.

Having issues lately with my PS4 reporting "router does not support ip fragmentation" I have tried 2 routers, several different MTU's and at different times of the day. Issue won't go away and I'm finding I lag really bad in games. I'm currently running an HP dl360 with dual gigabit running pfsense firewall as a router into a dlink gigabit switch. I have tried plugging straight into the modem as well and it doesn't help.

Start Sam
join:2014-01-21
London, ON

Start Sam

If I understand this correctly, even with your PS4 connected direct to the modem you are still getting the error message about packet fragmentation?

What NAT type is your PS4 set to and is it's set to automatically detect MTU size?

Mcordy11
@198.2.73.x

Mcordy11

Anon

Mtu is auto. Problem even happens plugged straight into modem
Mcordy11

Mcordy11

Anon

Bat is type2
rudeboy24
join:2002-10-14
Welland, ON

rudeboy24

whats the MTU sertting in your router? try setting the ps4 mtu to the same as your router.

or try setting the mtu on the ps4 to 1492

fifteenhndrd
@24.114.98.x

fifteenhndrd

Anon

What? He is on cable, MTU is 1500 and nothing else. The message (if it is even an error...) is that his connection doesn't support fragmentation so creating a scenario where fragmentation would be required sounds counterproductive.

Start Sam
join:2014-01-21
London, ON

Start Sam to Mcordy11

to Mcordy11
Not entirely sure what support Sony offers (haven't owned playstation myself since the PS2) but you may want to contact them.

Going through some the forums on the playstation site, seems to be an inconsitent issue. Automatic MTU or 1500 are what it's supposed to be. The PS4 should be using Ethernet frames like almost everything else out there.

If I find something, I'll be sure to share.

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

It's a pfsense issue, not a ps4 issue.
In the firewall advanced options, disable scrubbing.

If that doesn't work, as a test disable the firewall.

mcordy11
@198.2.73.x

mcordy11

Anon

as stated in the op this even happens without any router plugged straight into the modem.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Can you pm me your account number? Thanks.

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra to mcordy11

to mcordy11
I get that mcordy11, after you swapped direct to the modem, did you remove the power from the ps4 and reboot it? Not simply a reboot.

There was an issue back on the ps3 that if this issue cropped up, it required removing the power cord to cycle it.
scubarob
join:2009-09-13
Ajax, ON

2 edits

scubarob to rocca

to rocca
In PFSense have you tried selecting "IP Do-NOT-Fragment Compatibility", and checking off "Clear invalid DF bits instead of dropping the packets"

This can be found under System:Advanced:Firewall and NAT

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

Keep in mind, that once you make these changes, you may need to power pull the PS4, restarting it doesn't always reset the TCP stack.
mickw99
join:2003-04-09
Kitchener, ON

mickw99 to mcordy11

to mcordy11
I have the same issue "router does not support ip fragmentation" with my ps3 and ps4 using. I havn't noticed much lag. i'm using tp link router with ddwrt on it. but it doesn't always come up the the error.
Mcordy11
join:2014-07-09
Barrie, ON

Mcordy11 to rocca

to rocca
rocca I can't IM you for 8 hours...
chall2k56
join:2007-10-03
Edmonton, AB

chall2k56

send him an email to his start mail account
Mcordy11
join:2014-07-09
Barrie, ON

Mcordy11 to Start Sam

to Start Sam
I PM'd you the other day Rocca, Got no response yet...

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Sorry, supposed to be on vacation this weekend. I'll take a look when I get back home on Sunday night. Thanks.