uniqs

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Nexus 5 opinions?

I'm thinking about buying one outright from Google rather than doing a HUP on one of our corporate lines with a contract expiring next month. Anyone have any experience with the phone? Or would it be worth extending the term on one of the lines to get a discount on something like an S5? Thoughts?

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

I'm biased, but I like the 'cleaner' Android interface of the Nexus devices. The S5 is an awesome phone, it really is. But, there is a lot of Samsung bloatware on it. Less than previous Samsung models, but it's still there.

Plus, I would bet a million dollars that when Android L is launched, the Nexus will get it long before the S4.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I'm torn between buying the Nexus outright for $350 and having the option to pull the plug on that line whenever I need to or paying ~$200 for the S5 HUP and being tied into that line for another 2-3 years. If all things were the same, I'd take the S5 without a second thought. It's the flexibility of not having that line tied into a contract that is appealing, especially since we've had some personnel changes around here.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

I'm thinking about buying one outright from Google rather than doing a HUP on one of our corporate lines with a contract expiring next month. Anyone have any experience with the phone? Or would it be worth extending the term on one of the lines to get a discount on something like an S5? Thoughts?

Although I'm not in the Android camp. I'm a firm believer in getting the "cleanest" phone without carrier / manufacturer bloat that you can get (without breaking teh bank of course)

It's why I have my desktop PC's custom built and have an OS installed separately. No trialware/bloatware to try and remove and reinstall is a (reasonably) straightforward process if I have to go down that road.

NefCanuck

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
Cancelling a contract means you pay back the prorated amount of the discount you took on the phone when you got it.

That being said, most carriers offer a discount for BYOD phones, so the Nexus will be far cheaper for you in the long run.

Performance wise, the specs are very similar. There are plenty of head to head reviews on the net.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
I have the Nexus 4, which I love compared to the 5C i got from work (eek).
I concur with Nefcanuck, that the cleanest interface is the best.

No carrier/manufacturer bloat, just plain vanilla Android which is what OS's should be.
No idea why these carriers think it's important to put their fancy bogged down skins on android.
Not only that but updates are very slow coming.

I'm seeing that Samsung is JUST releasing Kitkat 4.4.2 while 4.4.4 is now out and 5 is a few months away.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
said by shaner:

Cancelling a contract means you pay back the prorated amount of the discount you took on the phone when you got it.
That being said, most carriers offer a discount for BYOD phones, so the Nexus will be far cheaper for you in the long run.
Performance wise, the specs are very similar. There are plenty of head to head reviews on the net.

I have a six line corporate account, it's an entirely different can of worms. There won't be any discounts or anything because whatever phone I receive will be used on an already-existing line by merely swapping SIMs.

My current phone (an unlocked Note 2) will then be going to an employee who wants a phone with a big enough screen that he can look at without reading glasses, either to use with his own Telus account or with one of our corporate lines.
Gone

Gone to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

If I knew that caller ID name display worked with the Nexus 5 - which I've heard that it does, or doesn't, or "kind of" does - I would feel a lot more confident in that choice.

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
Ahh.. Gotcha.

Nexus 5 all the way, then.

Actually, wait a second. Why are you on a Corp account with 6 lines? An SMB account would offer you more flexibility and a BYOD discount.

At least with Telus it does.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

You're right, it's SMB. I think we're like a line or two away before we'd save money on a corporate account or something.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by elwoodblues:

If I knew that caller ID name display worked with the Nexus 5 - which I've heard that it does, or doesn't, or "kind of" does - I would feel a lot more confident in that choice.

it's a Google feature. it looks up the number calling and gives you the name, it's software driven, so either it works or it doesn't. It has nothing do with the carrier.

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

That's not true elwood.

Name display is only offered by Rogers. It associates a directory name with 'unknown' numbers that call your phone.

If you have a number stored in any smartphone with a name attached to that number, the phone will always display the name. However, if that same phone gets a call from a number that isn't stored in it, it will come up as 'unknown caller'.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Yeah, Rogers uses CNAP. T-Mobile also offers it in the US as well. As far as I know, they're the only two carriers in North America that do.

I've heard that it works. And that it doesn't work. And that it kind of works. There's no solid answer. *shrug* Either way, it's probably something the modding community probably has a fix for.
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

The nexus phone is great.

Google caller ID is sweet as well. Regardless if the number is in your contacts or not it will display a name. Handy when ignoring spammers as they dont list their numbers

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Doonz:

Google caller ID is sweet as well. Regardless if the number is in your contacts or not it will display a name.

Rogers is capable of doing this with all phones, so long as the phone supports CNAP. For a while the iPhone didn't support it, but eventually they did. Can't get a straight answer on the Nexus 5.

But if Google Caller ID is good at assigning names to numbers anyway, that'd probably be good enough for me.
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

said by Gone:

said by Doonz:

Google caller ID is sweet as well. Regardless if the number is in your contacts or not it will display a name.

Rogers is capable of doing this with all phones, so long as the phone supports CNAP. For a while the iPhone didn't support it, but eventually they did. Can't get a straight answer on the Nexus 5.

But if Google Caller ID is good at assigning names to numbers anyway, that'd probably be good enough for me.

Google actually uses your data plan to get the information from the web

Robert4
Premium Member
join:2002-03-11
St John'S, NL

Robert4 to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
I love my Nexus 5! Battery life could be better, however I get a full day out of it.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
I'm on Wind and i get names

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner to Doonz

Premium Member

to Doonz
Well, I just learned something new. Google Caller ID is only in phones running kitkat, so I haven't had a chance to play with it yet (still waiting for Samsung to send me my S5).

»support.google.com/nexus ··· hl=en-CA
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

I'm on Wind and i get names

Kit Kat supports using Google search to populate names that aren't in your contact list.

Rogers/Fido Name Display will populate the name even if it's not in your contact list and if the information is not available on Google.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

But you pay extra for "name display"

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

It's included as part of all but the most basic packages.

I just ordered a red 32GB Nexus 5, but on the order confirmation page it had a yellow banner across the top that said An Error Has Occured and now I have no idea if it's ordered or not.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

Yeah, Rogers uses CNAP. T-Mobile also offers it in the US as well. As far as I know, they're the only two carriers in North America that do.

I've heard that it works. And that it doesn't work. And that it kind of works. There's no solid answer. *shrug* Either way, it's probably something the modding community probably has a fix for.

And the CRA numbers that call you will NEVER show who it is!!
MaynardKrebs

MaynardKrebs to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
Check your Gmail account for an order confirmation.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

No email.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

It probably hasn't gone through. I'd call the play store customer care line. I've called them before and they've been pretty helpful.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Thing is, it shows up in my Google Wallet with an order number.
Gone

Gone

Premium Member

Called Google, the order is good.

Hydraglass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-08

Hydraglass to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
You'll love the nexus 5 -- the other great benefit is "truly unlocked from Google" - you can put any SIM in it and it just works. I have a "Simple Mobile" SIM from a t-mobile reseller that I use in the US - prepaid - $20 gives a whack of data and calling minutes. In Canada I've loaned the phone to a friend for a weekend and they used their SIM from Rogers - worked just as well as my Bell SIM.

The phone is light, huge bright screen, good camera, good reception, decent battery life, plenty of processing power, works perfectly with my Chromecast at the cottage... I've had for 7 months and I feel like it'll be the first phone I keep and use for more than 2 years - I have no "upgrade wants" at this point. Nothing I feel I'm missing at all. The only CallerID that never works for me is "0000000000" - "Hi you've won a free cruise just answer these questions" -- so I installed "Call Control" powered by EveryCall.us - free app that blocks my own blacklist as well as a worldwide database blacklist of "bad numbers". Best app. ever.
newSymp
join:2003-11-06

newSymp to Gone

to Gone
Hey Gone, are you getting it from Google?

How much will it cost you? 4xx.xx something?

I've been looking into getting it as well as a second phone that I need. I was waiting for the one plus one, but that invite system is garbage.