Plainfield, IN
THANK GOD. Beta2 sucked badly.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to nickelman
WiFi Calling is activated in this beta. Nice!

Now I won't have issues getting calls in my office. Believe it or not, I'm too close to the nearest cell phone tower and sometimes calls don't get through.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
And then there are those buildings like the one I'll be in all day today and tomorrow that just don't pass cellular signals due to a high-security area within the structure...but WiFi is available. I hope that feature is usable by mere mortals in the final release!

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
My guess is that the carriers such as AT&T will really want that squashed.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by ptrowski:

My guess is that the carriers such as AT&T will really want that squashed.

Or they'll just charge you for the minutes anyway...
--

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
Of course!

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
Buckingham, PA
reply to ptrowski
I already make SIP calls using WiFi/Data..but I guess I can see how a carrier might not like "native" ability to use WiFi for calls...

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
The "WiFi Calling" I was referring to is a T-Mobile feature. It allows you to use your normal phone number and make/receive calls via WiFi. Not sure why the other carriers would be against it .. does anybody still worry about "minutes" anymore?

I imagine AT&T and Verizon adding WiFi Calling soon now that the iPhone has the ability.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
Knowing AT&T and Verizon it would be allowed but they would charge a premium for it somehow.

Homunculus
Pipsquack
Premium
join:2000-12-14
Dar al-Harb
reply to nickelman
Egads... this is the worst beta so far. :-[

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
Could you expand on that?

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN
reply to Homunculus
said by Homunculus:

Egads... this is the worst beta so far. :-[

No way, b2 was unusable. My phone and iPad locked up 3-4 times a day. Now we're down to 1-2.

Homunculus
Pipsquack
Premium
Dar al-Harb

1 recommendation

reply to ptrowski
No ringtones or text tones, only way I can get it switch to LTE is to toggle Airplane mode on and off. Previously downloaded/purchased apps are having a hard time downloading. I guess we will see how b4 is.
--
“When fascism comes to America, it will come wrapped in the flag and waving a cross”

rod_pod

join:2003-08-10
Great Falls, MT
reply to nickelman
I installed Beta 3 on my iPhone 5 the day it came out and it is working great for me.
--
rod_pod

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
Plainfield, IN
reply to nickelman
Ok, the "ring on other devices" thing is annoying as shit. EVERY device rings all the time. AND it doesn't stop....ever.

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by rugby:

Ok, the "ring on other devices" thing is annoying as shit. EVERY device rings all the time. AND it doesn't stop....ever.

Hah! I'm used to that...I use "multiple device registration" with my SIP extension for work and it rings on, well...let's see...up to 5 devices at one time, depending on where I am at a given moment.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to rugby
said by rugby:

Hahah... This is kind of a stupid feature if you ask me... What happens if you leave home with your iPhone, and someone calls you and your ipad or iMac rings and someone at home picks it up?

I could see Apple getting sued for privacy breaches by cheating wives/husbands
--

Riamen
Premium
join:2002-11-04
Calgary
said by HiVolt:

said by rugby:

Hahah... This is kind of a stupid feature if you ask me... What happens if you leave home with your iPhone, and someone calls you and your ipad or iMac rings and someone at home picks it up?

I could see Apple getting sued for privacy breaches by cheating wives/husbands

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that can happen. The other devices would have to be on the same wifi network as your iPhone. That wouldn't be the case if you left home with your phone.

Homunculus
Pipsquack
Premium
Dar al-Harb
reply to nickelman
New issue. Music with headphones. When I pause with the button on the headphones (and sometimes on the screen), the music app just stops responding. Have to go into the task manager and quit it, then restart. Oh well. It's only a beta. It's only a beta. It's only a beta.
--
“When fascism comes to America, it will come wrapped in the flag and waving a cross”

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
Plainfield, IN
reply to buckingham
I'm used to it to for our hosted VoIP solution, but my iPad wouldn't stop ringing and it was in my bag in the back seat of my car and I couldn't get it out and turn it off. So I listened to it ring for 30 minutes.....