spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NEHOG

join:2014-07-07
USA

Bad performance, port forwarding, and other problems.

I've several issues (as I sit here waiting for Fairpoint to even show up...)

I had basic DSL (2 MB) with a static IP in a bridge configuration for many years. Worked. We host three domains on one IP, both web and email. This has worked for years.

Recently I got pushed to upgrade our speed to either the 7 or 14 MB plan, and went with 7. Once this happened, things went downhill fast.

First they changed that bridged connection (that worked wonderfully) to a PPPoE connection. The PPPoE has been unreliable, requires multiple logon attempts before it can connect (apparently my end does not see the static IP confirmation). The connection gets dropped about 4 to 6 times daily. Performance is horrible.

To try to resolve the inability of PPPoE to connect Fairpoint basically forced me to use their Comtrend 5072 modem. I've done a lot of port forwarding configurations over the years and know what I'm doing, so I configured the Comtrend to forward web and email ports to the server. The server is receiving no traffic! It has been suggested to me that perhaps Fairpoint has modified the Comtrend to not forward ports.

I can post the logs from the Comtrend if anyone is interested.

Questions (sorry, this has been long):

1. Is there some way to get Fairpoint to restore this to the bridged connection I used to have? Whenever I talk to technical support, their response is either they don't understand or that it is already bridged.

2. Why doesn't the Comtrend's port forwarding work? Can anyone suggest a good DSL modem that will work with Fairpoint that works?

3. How can I get reasonable technical support from them?

NEHOG

USA
The Fairpoint tech came and determined that my line is not good (the system shows 18000 ft when it is supposed to be 10000 ft.) He had them (the main office) set the speed back to 3 MB for the night and they are supposed to check it tomorrow.

Of course, I get a "we've successfully completed this service call..." message from Fairpoint, and of course it has not been successfully completed at all.

modem_reset

join:2010-05-27
Reviews:
·Fairpoint Commun..
·ObiVoice
reply to NEHOG
I have my modem in bridge mode, I got a cheat sheet on how to do it as each modem swap they would put me into nat mode.

I have a Smart RG (i'm told they are not able to be in bridge...but here I am), I setup a company in town with static IP with a Smart RG modem as well..

Both Places I put a PfSense firewall in place to do PPoE connection..

I would not trust a firewall that I did not build for security for a company. You don't know what 'backdoors' and ISP has on their devices. I worked for an ISP, our logins were for the longest time (7+ years), admin/admin...The end user was given a different password, but that still worked.

NEHOG

USA
said by modem_reset:

I got a cheat sheet on how to do it

Can you share that cheat sheet?

NEHOG

USA
Fairpoint tech called. Bad news, "It is wired with 26 AWG and we can't get it to work..." so they backed it to 3 MB and that's that. I will call their business office tomorrow but I suspect I'm going to cable Internet. (I do not at this time have cable TV, but they have good service in my neck of the woods.) I don't know how much of that is BS and that they don't want to spend the time figuring out what is really wrong, and how much is true.

Oh, well, it was a try. Used DSL from the first days it was available here, time to move on to newer and better technology. (No, fiber is not available here.)

hawk82

join:2001-04-26
centralmaine
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to NEHOG
Comtrend 5072 to setup as bridge (going by memory)

Log into the router, »192.168.1.1, username is usually root/12345 but could be 2 other combinations.
Then under Advanced Configuration, click on WAN service.
Then put a checkmark next to the only connection and click remove.
Then click Add to create a new connection.
Then select ATM_0_35 and next.
Then select bridging from connection type (not PPPoE).

That should be it.

26AWG is pretty much useless for DSL service, especially when you're 18,000ft out. I'm surprised you can even get 3Mbit at that distance. Their records are like a crap shoot whether they're accurate or not. It's best to simply drive the cable route from your house to the CO or nearest slic and figure it out the distance for yourself. You can ask if they can cut out any bridge taps, but I doubt that will help much.

NEHOG

USA
Thanks, that is the procedure I have. It didn't work, but you have it right. BTW, at least on mine, the password is frp_12345 (great one, isn't it?)

The distance is only 10,000 ft, I've measured it. Yes, their records are crap. This was all done by Verizon, which was NYNEX which was New England Telephone, and through those transitions I think most of that stuff was lost.

It appears if I want good Internet I'm going to have to go with Comcast! (which may actually be cheaper?) Right now they are charging me for things they can't deliver, and I'm thinking that I really don't need telephone service anyway (wife and I use our cell phones for virtually all calls.)

modem_reset

join:2010-05-27
Reviews:
·Fairpoint Commun..
·ObiVoice
reply to NEHOG
On the distance wires..not much you can do.

TWC ...Commercial class at twc can get $$ fast, but they will be good...I don't know if having both services will help you out, keep the lower speeds and get a slower speed at twc, then put in a device to load balance (PfSense, can do this...free download), or provide wan fail over.

I had for a while, DSL and TWC on my home connection...I would do a load balance, and failover as a backup. VOIP I always had go out my DSL line as it had less issues....netflix/etc went out twc lines.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
reply to NEHOG
No way you would qualify for 7Mbs if wire length is actually 18,000 feet. My guess is that is a place holder because FairPoint does not have accurate loop test data. However: once the tech had them run loop test they should have accurate cable length data. To hawk82 See Profile post about 26AWG, it is true smaller gauge wire limits distance but by and large almost all subscriber loops are 26AWG. ADSL design took that into account.

Whether or not the modem is in bridge mode should have no effect on sync speed or link stability.

Not sure what state you are in. I'm in NH and switched to a CLEC a couple of years ago. They rent copper circuit from FairPoint but provide their own equipment. They are still bound by the laws of physics but at least for me resulted in significantly higher speed and getting rid of PPPoE stabilized the connection.

/tom