dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« UPS making odd soundsRIP - James Garner »
page: 1 · 2 · next
This is a sub-selection from Nexus 5 opinions?

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues

Re: Nexus 5 opinions?

said by elwoodblues:

I have the Nexus 4, which I love compared to the 5C i got from work (eek).
I concur with Nefcanuck, that the cleanest interface is the best.

If I knew that caller ID name display worked with the Nexus 5 - which I've heard that it does, or doesn't, or "kind of" does - I would feel a lot more confident in that choice.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by Gone:

said by elwoodblues:

I have the Nexus 4, which I love compared to the 5C i got from work (eek).
I concur with Nefcanuck, that the cleanest interface is the best.

If I knew that caller ID name display worked with the Nexus 5 - which I've heard that it does, or doesn't, or "kind of" does - I would feel a lot more confident in that choice.

it's a Google feature. it looks up the number calling and gives you the name, it's software driven, so either it works or it doesn't. It has nothing do with the carrier.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

That's not true elwood.

Name display is only offered by Rogers. It associates a directory name with 'unknown' numbers that call your phone.

If you have a number stored in any smartphone with a name attached to that number, the phone will always display the name. However, if that same phone gets a call from a number that isn't stored in it, it will come up as 'unknown caller'.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Yeah, Rogers uses CNAP. T-Mobile also offers it in the US as well. As far as I know, they're the only two carriers in North America that do.

I've heard that it works. And that it doesn't work. And that it kind of works. There's no solid answer. *shrug* Either way, it's probably something the modding community probably has a fix for.
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

The nexus phone is great.

Google caller ID is sweet as well. Regardless if the number is in your contacts or not it will display a name. Handy when ignoring spammers as they dont list their numbers

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Doonz:

Google caller ID is sweet as well. Regardless if the number is in your contacts or not it will display a name.

Rogers is capable of doing this with all phones, so long as the phone supports CNAP. For a while the iPhone didn't support it, but eventually they did. Can't get a straight answer on the Nexus 5.

But if Google Caller ID is good at assigning names to numbers anyway, that'd probably be good enough for me.
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

said by Gone:

said by Doonz:

Google caller ID is sweet as well. Regardless if the number is in your contacts or not it will display a name.

Rogers is capable of doing this with all phones, so long as the phone supports CNAP. For a while the iPhone didn't support it, but eventually they did. Can't get a straight answer on the Nexus 5.

But if Google Caller ID is good at assigning names to numbers anyway, that'd probably be good enough for me.

Google actually uses your data plan to get the information from the web

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
I'm on Wind and i get names

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to Doonz

Premium Member

to Doonz
Well, I just learned something new. Google Caller ID is only in phones running kitkat, so I haven't had a chance to play with it yet (still waiting for Samsung to send me my S5).

»support.google.com/nexus ··· hl=en-CA
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

I'm on Wind and i get names

Kit Kat supports using Google search to populate names that aren't in your contact list.

Rogers/Fido Name Display will populate the name even if it's not in your contact list and if the information is not available on Google.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

But you pay extra for "name display"

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

It's included as part of all but the most basic packages.

I just ordered a red 32GB Nexus 5, but on the order confirmation page it had a yellow banner across the top that said An Error Has Occured and now I have no idea if it's ordered or not.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

Yeah, Rogers uses CNAP. T-Mobile also offers it in the US as well. As far as I know, they're the only two carriers in North America that do.

I've heard that it works. And that it doesn't work. And that it kind of works. There's no solid answer. *shrug* Either way, it's probably something the modding community probably has a fix for.

And the CRA numbers that call you will NEVER show who it is!!
MaynardKrebs

MaynardKrebs to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
Check your Gmail account for an order confirmation.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

No email.
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

It probably hasn't gone through. I'd call the play store customer care line. I've called them before and they've been pretty helpful.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Thing is, it shows up in my Google Wallet with an order number.
Gone

Gone

Premium Member

Called Google, the order is good.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
My iPhone 5 doesn't do it (corporate plan)

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

mine does...i too am on a corporate plan.
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by elwoodblues:

mine does...i too am on a corporate plan.

All corporate plans are different depending on what your employer has negotiated.

Devanchya
Smile
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON

Devanchya to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
caller display is both Carrier and Data driven. It will look at Google+ and Facebook and Twitter information (which is stored in the big google database) and display it there. for example when the doctor calls us, we get the Clinic picture displayed because that's what's stored on the facebook pace. Eye Doctor show her facebook picture.

no these are not contacts in my phone these are live.

If it can't find the phone number online or through the carrier , it shows the phone number only.
jibby
join:2008-03-31

jibby

I'm not sure if something has changed but the last few times i looked KitKat doesn't support CNAM/CNAP it only does its own google+ lookup like devanchya is describing but ignores the actual CNAP data that's sent here in canada

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by jibby:

I'm not sure if something has changed but the last few times i looked KitKat doesn't support CNAM/CNAP it only does its own google+ lookup like devanchya is describing but ignores the actual CNAP data that's sent here in canada

My Note 2 is running KitKat and it most definitely does CNAP. But it could very well be carrier customized.
jibby

jibby

hrm, cool! wonder if there's any ROM that does it for the nexus series, i never found one but maybe it's time to look again. Technically it shouldn't be that hard, it does get the CNAP info because it shows it in the pulldown after a missed call but last time i checked didn't show during the incoming call or in the call log

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Yeah, it'd probably be just the dialer then. If the name shows in the pulldown the ROM's modem is handling the CNAP info just fine.
jibby

jibby

Yeah its definitely the dialer but just tried the latest cyanogenmod and still no true cnap on incoming calls

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I know that they managed to do something for the Nexus 4 so that CNAP worked, but yeah I haven't found much about the 5.

Either way, my Red 32GB Nexus 5 shipped today. I should have it soon. Weee! Now to order a case and a screen protector...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

RED!!! EEEK

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON