Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

montana_sat
Premium
join:2005-12-05
Kalispell, MT

[HN7000S] HughesNet seems to be trying to force Upgrades - Information Only

For quite some time now, HughesNet has been telling HN7000s customers pretty much whatever they want to tell them in order to convince them to upgrade to the Gen 4 equipment and services! Some of our customers who have called in to Customer Care have been told they no longer support that service and they'll have to upgrade while others have been told the service is no longer available and some have been sent letters stating that their service would end June 30th, 2014 and that they need to upgrade or face losing service!

However, so far, we have found that most of the HN7000s customers have remained online or at most were forced to do what we call a "virtual AOT" with HughesNet Tech Support, or Installer Support to update their configuration from say SM5 @ 116.8 West to SM8 @ 116.8 West, or from G11 @ 91 West to G17 @ 91 West, and then simply run through registration again and force-range to get back online! Course HughesNet usually messed that up the first few times so we'd have to keep calling back to get it right!

But now the problem now is that during our last few calls to Installer Support to request that they make these changes on their end for our customer, they have been refusing to do the AOT for us! They simply tell us that the customer has to call HughesNet Technical Support, but when they do, they are referred to Customer Care for the upgrade instead of them simply making the AOT change and running the customer through the registration to bring them back online! Even the times I've told them I was on-site as an installer, they've insisted on having the customer call into Customer Care instead of just fixing the problem!

We offer VAR service for the HN7000s but it's more expensive and doesn't work any better than the residential plans it seems, so we're currently seeking other solutions!

And as far as customers calling HughesNet Customer Care... I've just been advising them to refuse the upgrade and insist on keeping their HN7000s service, but sadly HughesNet doesn't seem to care if they can take care of them or not!

Has anyone else experienced these issues and/or found a work-around?

OldSatUser

join:2012-05-10
Fresno, OH

No different than HughesNet getting rid of the old 3000/4000 systems. It costs money to support old hardware and infrastructure.

montana_sat
Premium
Kalispell, MT

I agree, but at least the HN7000s was an equal but slightly better replacement for the DW4000 systems with similar capabilities on the Ku Band! The Ka band systems might offer faster speeds, but speeds aren't as important to everyone as much as other features and capabilities such as the FAP limits, mobility, month-to-month service, and so on.

Course I understand that HughesNet makes a lot more on the Ka Band customers due to the lower costs of the infrastructure you mentioned, so... maybe they won't care about losing 10 - 12,000 or more HN7000s customers if the numbers work out in their favor! But that's still no excuse to lie to or trick the customers into upgrading!

I was just hoping another installer out there might know the "magic phrase" to give the call center people to make the right solution pop up on their screen since I can't seem to get past the outsourced answering service pretending to be HughesNet Installer Support lately and my customers aren't getting anywhere with Customer Care or Technical Support!

A Tech

join:2008-11-10
reply to montana_sat

I thought hn had all ready sold all the ku facilites to someone else and was going to pull the plug at an undetermined date. key word thought.

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

What "Ku facilities" are you referring to ?

montana_sat
Premium
Kalispell, MT
reply to A Tech

Nothing would surprise me, but I know they have contracts to provide Ku service for the VAR platforms for the next few years anyway, so although they may pull the plug on their standard residential platform plans that they support in-house any day now.... I really doubt they will just stop providing Ku service to the VAR platform anytime soon! They would lose 10,000+ customers overnight basically and probably face some lawsuits from the VAR's as well! But honestly, I'm not sure how the politics of all of that would work anyway!

We focus on temporary, seasonal, month-to-month, and mobile, portable and multi-site applications, all of which Ka band is not very feasible for! And we support customers on our VAR programs in the US, Mexico, Haiti and other regions as well that all use the HN or HX platforms so Ku band is still VERY popular for many reasons!

Course the HughesNet reps that we all know and love usually aren't even aware that there is such a thing as VAR service available as an option for their HN7000s customers that don't want to upgrade or can't use Ka band for whatever reason!

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY
reply to gwalk

said by gwalk:

What "Ku facilities" are you referring to ?

My guess would be a relocation of the original Ku-ground equipment and create a NOC or NOCS for HughesNet Mexico and/or HughesNet Central/South America.

//greg//
--
Former DirecPC/Direcway/HughesNet customer and forum participant since 2001

chances14

join:2010-03-03
Michigan
reply to OldSatUser

said by OldSatUser:

No different than HughesNet getting rid of the old 3000/4000 systems. It costs money to support old hardware and infrastructure.

agreed. but just come out and say that we are ending support for it. No need to play games with installers and customers

Raminto

join:2006-02-28
Whitehorse, YT
reply to montana_sat

Somewhat related to this topic:
Went for a service call on a 6000 modem with tx17:

"This condition occurs if the transmitter cannot successfully range. Ranging is the process that adjusts your satellite transmitter timing and power. Your satellite transmitter conducts ranging as needed to ensure that it can communicate successfully with the Network Operations Center. Possible causes are:

The transmitter could not achieve enough power to transmit. This is likely caused by an installation problem where the antenna is not accurately pointed or it maybe a transmitter power problem. Check the power supply and make sure that it is Part # 1031105-0001."

Did the usual things: Tried another power supply, transmitter, point the antenna, force ranged but could not get rid of the tx17. Finally I hooked up a HN7000s and everything was working.
Two days later I had another customer with tx17 on a 6000 modem with a perfectly aimed dish.
My guess: Hughes does not let 6000 modems communicate with their NOC anymore what results in a tx17. Not a very nice way to force for an upgrade, especially because this error indicates a hardware problem and let installers look in the wrong direction.
--
HN7000S/.98m/2watt/Horizon1/1381 /Asus wireless/Thinkpad XP pro/Toughbook CF-28 XP pro/Asus P53e, Win7Pro.

montana_sat
Premium
Kalispell, MT

We just had a DW6000 customer on 99W go down last week with that same issue! I helped her for a couple of hours over the phone but couldn't get anywhere with it! She had an HN7000s there also, so I advised her to call HughesNet to upgrade her account from a DW6000 to an HN7000s, and she said she called but that they wouldn't do it! So we're hooking her up to the VAR service instead! Crazy!

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.
reply to montana_sat

I did a repost of a comment from this thread on the Hughes community and aimed it directly at "Katie" or Sara for comment.

»community.myhughesnet.com/hughes···upgrades

It will be interesting to say the least to read their reply if any.

Raminto

join:2006-02-28
Whitehorse, YT
reply to montana_sat

Crazy, yes! Those people have no clue what this mislead will cause.
In my case the service call went like this: Drove 200km to meet the customer at the river, load every possible equipment to a boat to cross the river, walked up a steep hill with all the gear, did all the troubleshooting on site and finally drove back the 200km...and who is paying for all this????
--
HN9200/.98m/2watt/Anik F2, Beam 5 /Asus wireless/Thinkpad XP pro/Toughbook CF-28 XP pro/Asus P53e, Win7Pro.