uniqs
share rss forum feed

Sc0tt
Kneedragger
Premium
join:2000-11-13
Stockholm, NJ

does such a part exist?

i'm looking for an electromagnetic device with a 6" throw and about 50 pounds of force, kind of like a huge solenoid. more force is OK, less is not. quickness is key also---I need it to travel the full 6" in a second or under.

I have looked at linear actuators, but ones with the travel length I need are slow and expensive.

I was looking into pneumatic cylinders, and they would work great for my project-----but I don't have a compressor at home and would like something I can just plug in and use.

so, do they make anything like that?

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
is that 50 pounds to start?

Solenoid start low and increase as it seats.

Sc0tt
Kneedragger
Premium
Stockholm, NJ
reply to Sc0tt
i'm looking for power throughout the range. if it's close to 50 at the start, it should work.

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to Sc0tt
You could use a custom jig attached to end of a servo arm to approximate the linear motion.

*** Well, they do exist. Exlar has a 40,000 lb force ; 60 inch per second linear actuator!
»www.exlar.com/product_overview

Sc0tt
Kneedragger
Premium
Stockholm, NJ
said by lutful:

You could use a custom jig attached to end of a servo arm to approximate the linear motion.

that is an option. do you have any links to something powerful enough for my needs? all I can find are solenoids rated in ounces or grams of force. my googling skills are failing me lately LOL

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
Ottawa, ON
There seems to be a huge gap in performance and price. This is the best spec at an affordable price: 33 lb ; 3.15 inch/sec: »www.progressiveautomations.com/a···142.aspx

Exlar site explains that you need a roller sleeve for fast linear motion. I see many Chinese roller sleeves on-line: »www.aliexpress.com/cheap/cheap-c···ngs.html

You may be able to to use just the solenoid of a slow actuator (which use screw sleeves) with a roller sleeve and a smooth greased cylinder.

Sc0tt
Kneedragger
Premium
Stockholm, NJ
reply to lutful
said by lutful:

*** Well, they do exist. Exlar has a 40,000 lb force ; 60 inch per second linear actuator!

i'd probably have to sell my house to afford that LOL.

too old

@50.138.50.x
reply to Sc0tt
what you want is similar to the old solenoids, with about 6" throw, electromagnet coil about 3" diameter in 4" square frame, that were used in 14" disc hard drives. think old DEC or old IBM mainframes.
not much of that around surplus anymore. but cheap if you can find one, near scrap metal pricing.

you might have better luck looking at rotating mechanisms, similar to the ones used in modern IDE hard drives, but bigger.

not forgetting, solenoids are just a coil of wire around an movable iron bar, you might could make one up to suit yourself, with extra turns and/or thicker wire for more force.

iknow_t

join:2012-05-03
reply to Sc0tt
said by Sc0tt:

said by lutful:

i'd probably have to sell my house to afford that LOL.

but you'd be able to throw a very large truck with that... but explosives are much cheaper.. you want to throw a bicycle 6" with only 50 lbs. of force? you need to specify your needs a bit better.. military/civilian? momentary/continuous?

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL
reply to Sc0tt

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
the problem with linear actuators, I think, is the OP statement

"I need it to travel the full 6" in a second or under"

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
There are such actuators. Not cheap at all though.

Sc0tt
Kneedragger
Premium
Stockholm, NJ
said by cowboyro:

There are such actuators. Not cheap at all though.

that's what I've been seeing.

.......I guess I will go pneumatic. this will give me a reason to buy a compressor I guess "honey, I need a compressor so I can fix your truck and paint the fence". that might work LOL ---and it will probably still be cheaper than an electronic actuator.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
A compressor for a pneumatic system doesn't have to be big or expensive. If you only need to actuate that pneumatic cylinder once every minute or so at most, a small diaphragm type compressor with a small storage tank would be relatively quiet and small. Such compressors are often sold as airbrush compressors.

Knowing what the application for this 6" 50 pound actuator would help greatly...

Sc0tt
Kneedragger
Premium
Stockholm, NJ
said by TheMG:

A compressor for a pneumatic system doesn't have to be big or expensive. If you only need to actuate that pneumatic cylinder once every minute or so at most, a small diaphragm type compressor with a small storage tank would be relatively quiet and small. Such compressors are often sold as airbrush compressors.

Knowing what the application for this 6" 50 pound actuator would help greatly...

it's for a can crusher. I wanted 50#'s to overcome the initial resistance from the can. the speed is just because who wants to wait around and watch a can slowly compress---smashing them seems so much more fun

the compressor would actually be useful for repairing my truck and the wifes, as I do 99% of the work on them myself.

I wanted to make the crusher electric, because I was also going to build one for my boss as a birthday present, and I didn't want him to have to fire up his compressor to run it. I guess he'll have to adjust LOL.

TheMG
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
Hmmmm yeah you're going to need some serious air capacity for a can crusher (assuming you want to crush cans at a rate of 12 cans per minute or more).

If it were me I'd go with good ol' foot power and mechanical leverage. Basically a pedal-actuated crusher. Add in an automatic feeder and voila, exercise machine and incredibly effective crusher in one device! Think about it though... even with 2:1 mechanical leverage, how much crushing force even a 150 pound person could exert just by stepping on the pedal!

cowboyro
Premium
Shelton, CT
reply to cowboyro
Why not simply throw the cans in the recycling container?

TheMG
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
said by cowboyro:

Why not simply throw the cans in the recycling container?

It's usually a question of space. Not everyone has the storage space for a large amount of cans/bottles nor does everyone have a large vehicle to transport a large quantity of uncrushed cans/bottles. Trips to the bottle depot with only a small quantity are often not worth the bother (or the gas).

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
Crushing may also be required if you want to redeem your cans for money.

The amount is determined by weight instead of count if you exceed more then a small number of cans. Crushing helps the recycle company in two ways: it prevents fraud since there is no place to put anything inside the can that would increase the weight and the compact size of the crushed can saves space in storage and transport.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

cowboyro
Premium
Shelton, CT
said by leibold:

I don't know how that would work since all machines that I have seen read the barcode from the can...

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
It might be California specific. You only need to look at a can or bottle to notice that there are differences between California and all other states when it comes to the recycling of beverage containers (other states have a fixed amount of refund per can/bottle while for California it simply says RV/CRV or spells out "Redemption Value").
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

Sc0tt
Kneedragger
Premium
Stockholm, NJ
reply to cowboyro
said by cowboyro:

said by leibold:

I don't know how that would work since all machines that I have seen read the barcode from the can...

I want them crushed mostly for space savings. and the recycling centers around here go by weight and classification. cans are "clean aluminum" which brings a premium. plus a hell of a lot more cans will fit in the bag when crushed, making for less trips for me

iknow_t

join:2012-05-03
reply to Sc0tt
maybe look for thrown out refrigerators, and take ice crusher motor out..

too old

@50.138.50.x
reply to Sc0tt
other alternatives for cans:

all the poor folk I know who do that just step on them, right after they get them out of the dumpster.

you could get an arbor press from harbor freight for $100. ? with 1 ton capacity, 4" throw, all mechanical.
2 ton presses have longer throw, ~6".

you could just put a wanted ad for a used can crusher.
you could make a kiln, to melt them, and get even higher $ for ingots, at the added cost of the electric/propane heat.
you could make or get a two-roller squasher, like the old wringer washing machines. those roller machines are normally used for bending sheet metal.

SmokChsr
Premium
Saint Augustine, FL
reply to Sc0tt
said by Sc0tt:

it's for a can crusher.

In that case, here's a energy saving "Green" version.. »www.target.com/p/norpro-inc-meta···odoRYADA

SmokChsr
Premium
Saint Augustine, FL

1 recommendation

reply to Sc0tt
I think I stumbled onto what your looking for..

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_EwZqlSLhE

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
Ottawa, ON
reply to Sc0tt
said by Sc0tt:

I want them crushed mostly for space savings.

You did not mention the application in original post. Pneumatic or Hydraulic solution will be inexpensive and fast.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F7u6rqtXgU

Youtube has thousands of designs but I like this one built for about $100 - even ejects the crushed can at high speed!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WqrLAE7VZw

This is probably overkill.

shdesigns