Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5

Yahoo email requires a cell phone

I was helping a (non-tech) person get a yahoo email - simple 5 minute process right? wrong. After getting through the defect that you cannot sign up for a yahoo email with FireFox26 or so, they then REQUIRE a cell phone. WTF is that about? Since this person doesn't have a cell phone, we tried their phone #, didn't work. Somehow yahoo figured out it's not a proper cell phone.

So it seems like yahoo doesn't care to have non-cell phone people use it's service. Fine by me. I'm sure there's a few free email providers that don't have such a ridiculous requirement.

Anyone else come across this?

bbear2
Premium
Well I guess it's true. Just found this: »en-global.help.yahoo.com/kb/yaho···ons=true

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

2 edits
reply to bbear2
Would your friend spring for 10 bucks a year?

Fast mail works fine for me.

»www.fastmail.fm/signup/personal.html

--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8
reply to bbear2
You should probably update to the newest FF too.

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

1 recommendation

reply to bbear2
Try gmail, they ask for a phone number for account recovery purposes but AFAIK they don't (yet) require it. Oh and despite being able to send/receive texts via the number, don't give gmail your Google Voice number, they don't like that any more than Yahoo liked the landline LOL.

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL
reply to bbear2
said by bbear2:

Somehow yahoo figured out it's not a proper cell phone.

FWIW they did one of two things here. They either tried to send it a text which failed or they did an NPA/NXX lookup on it to see who the number was assigned to. If it wasn't assigned to a cell carrier it likely got kicked back. This can be a problem for anyone who has ported a number to their cell phone and the registration/ownership hasn't been updated.

bbear2
Premium
That's exactly right. There process for determining a cell number is not perfect. Another hurdle they put up.

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Graustark
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

reply to jadinolf
said by jadinolf:

Would your friend spring for 10 bucks a year?

Fast mail works fine for me.

»www.fastmail.fm/signup/personal.html

1+

Lindsey

join:2008-12-16
Gypsy, WV
reply to bbear2
I have yahoo and dont have cell phone at all and still able to use it..maybe its a new thing..I know every few months it asks me to put one in and I just by pass it..telling tit to try later

bbear2
Premium
Yep. I think it's new.

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

1 recommendation

It is new. I have 2 Yahoo accounts I signed up for over 10 years ago. Wasn't required then.

Even if you have a Gmail account, Google will ask for phone. As far as I know, Google already has it if you use Play. They couldn't send apps to phone without it.

I'm wondering why no one has brought up handicap discrimination. Deaf use TTY - available on some smart phones, and nearly blind might use a voice reader or a special setting - both easier to do on a PC. Unless you put out a phone with a hard keyboard, no Braille.

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL

1 recommendation

The deaf wouldn't matter because they could still send and receive texts just fine but you have a point on the blind issue. I wonder if there is some hidden alternate signup method for those that don't have a cell phone for whatever reason? I'm curious if alphapointe See Profile (or another blind member here) uses a cell phone and if not, how they would handle this.

carpetshark3
Premium
Idledale, CO
Some businesses don't do texts or messaging for customer service. They will do TTY.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to JoelC707
said by JoelC707:

Try gmail, ... but AFAIK they don't (yet) require it.

They only require if you are on an IP address they consider high risk for spam/attack/other. If you are required to give a number, just switch to a different connection and if it's not on the "high risk" list it wont require it.

bbear2
Premium
Interesting. I was on the AT&T line and if they consider that high risk, then I think they are casting a very wide net. How does one switch to a "low risk" connection and what would be lower risk than AT&T?

I'm guessing this could be part of it, but that there might be other variables as well.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

2 edits
reply to bbear2

I have had 2 Yahoo WebMail accounts, one of them for over a decade, and the other getting close to that, and they have pestered me occasionally on login over the past year or two for such info, and/or an external email address for recovery, but considering how many times that their servers have been hacked (and about which they have hidden the full story), I will not give them one iota more contact info than absolutely required, and will close my existing accounts if they ever do insist.

BTW, that has recently become my personal security policy for any and all online accounts which I have.

Yahoo has angered me enough last year over OTHER things, and as a consequence, I have spent considerable time testing and evaluating other WebMail providers, some free and others paid, and my jury's still out.

Search my post history for details.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
Change for the Sake of Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
-
START Forum »Start Communications

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to bbear2
said by bbear2:

Interesting. I was on the AT&T line and if they consider that high risk, then I think they are casting a very wide net. How does one switch to a "low risk" connection and what would be lower risk than AT&T?

I'm guessing this could be part of it, but that there might be other variables as well.

The comment I made about high risk was only for google's gmail... I do believe that yahoo requires a number no matter what now.

If it was gmail, are you sure it was required? I think you will find that that while it looks like it is the same color as the required fields, it is not really required.

Ole Juul

join:2013-04-27
Coalmont, BC
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to Davesnothere
I've used the e-mail service that comes with my server provider for a long time now. That has the advantage that you can use any domain name you own, and have (nearly) unlimited addresses which you can set up temporarily or play around with as you wish. I also find it handy to divide up my addresses into categories like friends, subscriptions (Callcentric, registrar, ISP), vendors, and throwaway etc. Most funnel down to just a couple of accounts which I check. It's also a little more professional to have an e-mail address like my-first-name@my-last-name.ca or at least something which you chose and which relates to you or your business. I also like short addresses like **@cgs.pw, which is another one of my domains. Yes, I was very lucky to get juul.ca, but frankly, I'd be embarrassed to have Yahoo! as my personal, let alone professional address. I am not a yahoo.

Since it's their business (as in doing a good job makes people stay) you get a very professional product with 24/7 support. Not a glitch in 8 years. And it's cheap. I recommend my company of choice because of their unusually good support and uptime, but there are lots of others out there and it's an extremely competitive market.

carpetshark3
Premium
Idledale, CO
reply to Davesnothere
I keep my Yahoo accounts for spammers and I used them as email for FB and a few other fora - especially pesty fora.

I also like Yahoo groups.

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
join:2009-06-21
Cyberspace
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms
reply to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

Yahoo has angered me enough last year over OTHER things,

You should consider the advantages of Yahoo Mail.

* 1 TB (1,000 GB) storage space for mails completely free of charge. That beats Google Mail several times.

* 500 alias addresses, free of charge. Unlike other mail providers those alias addresses work like separate mail accounts. You can even use different names on every alias address, so the recipient sees only your chosen name and your original identity is completely hidden. Imagine having 500 different Daves and no recipient knows it's the same person.

* Very efficient spam filter.

said by Davesnothere:

I have spent considerable time testing and evaluating other WebMail providers, some free and others paid, and my jury's still out.

If you really want to change your mail provider I suggest you consider mailbox.org, »mailbox.org/en/.

Privacy and security is number one priority for mailbox.org. They are based in Berlin, Germany, so no Patriot Act applies.

Mailbox.org values your privacy so much that you don't need to give them your real name. You can also pay the modest fee with Bitcoin instead of CC/PayPal.

You can use webmail, POP or IMAP with Mailbox.org.

I have moved all my Google Apps Business accounts to Mailbox.org and Mailbox.org is now my number one mail provider.
--
My VoIP News
myvoipnews@secure.mailbox.org